Pheasant Gun: 20 gauge or 12?

I'm a big 20ga fan. I think it's a perfect gauge for all around small game hunting. Love the weight savings, and fast handling. If you want a little extra "oomph" with non-tox shot shoot 3" shells. I've never found a need to shoot 3" myself, but I could see the benefit with steel.

Next shotgun I pickup will be a 20ga. With the ammo out there It’s very versatile. However, a vintage sweet 16 has to be the ultimate. I have an old side by side Parker in 16ga that is a dream to shoot.

I guess just because I figure ammo would be limited and if it will even more limited in say 20 years? How do you like the Franchi? have you compared to say Browning or Beretta? I have an old Franchi 48 and a new Affinity.
I order a case every year. No problem.

While I don't see a practical reason to get a 16 gauge over a 20, if the nostalgia of the 16 calls to you just order one of these bad boys, crack open a beer, and have some fun while procuring your ammo.

16.png

Go with your heart. 20 ga. 3" steel shells in modified chokes, bring the range in to 35 yards. You got to hit those suckers in the head. I'd rather enjoy the gun over being a little more efficient.

Personally I use a 12 gauge pump for pheasants, because I like the feel of the gun. Have owned auto, break, bolt, but didn't care for any of them, and they've all been sold

Bought a 20ga Citori 725 28” Field 3y ago. Simply outstanding. You can shoot a case of shells over the course of a day and it doesn’t punish you. No shoulder bruise the next day. Can bring one gun bc my wife likes it too. Excellent point gun. Big 20ga fan here. Still, I am looking at picking up a 725 Citori in 12 when funds allow bc I think it’d be great to have both.

Last edited:
Haven't hunted with the 12 except for turkeys and geese for years.

I think a 12 is a disadvantage. Slower to the shoulder.

I have 3 upland guns. All 870 wingmasters, a lightweight 20, a 3" 20 and a 28.

20 - 3' heavyshot 4's 5's or 6's hit just as hard as in any 12.

28 with 1 oz lead 6's hits hard.

I've had a couple of friends buy 28's after seeing me kill late season roosters with it. 28's are quicker with less recoil for a better 2nd shot.

Last edited:
Around 10 years ago I bought a Benelli Montefeltro in 12 gauge with a 28" barrel as a do all upland gun for grouse/pheasant/pot hole ducks and have taken it all over the continent with a lot of success. I was gifted a Beretta 687 EELL in 20 gauge a few years back and thought it was A) too nice to really use hard and B) just not comfortable moving away from the 12 gauge. Forced myself to use it on a pheasant hunt just to mix it up one day and I never realized what I missing out on. I usually have both guns in the truck with me during upland season and last year, the 12 gauge Montefeltro never left it's case.

Choked correctly and with the right loads, I never feel undergunned and ease of carrying is so much nicer vs a 12 gauge over the course of a day. My dad bought a 20 gauge Montefeltro for himself recently and that thing is also a joy to handle and I'd have zero concern about using it for even the toughest late season roosters.

If you want a 20, I'd say go for it. I think fit and confidence with a shotgun is more important than 12 vs 20 (or 16) for most upland hunting.

I can't imagine why one would get a 20 and not a 12.

But then I can't imagine why would would get a gun with the barrels stacked instead of side by side as one's eyes are oriented and as bird guns are intended to be.
This is just one reason why I shoot a 20 and not a 12.
I handload TSS. I have gotten as many as 277 #9 TSS pellets in a 10" circle @40 yards. A friend of mine consistently gets 300.
TSS (tungsten super shot) is 54% more dense then lead. A #9 tss is equally as dense as a #5 lead. I dropped a tom turkey this year in his tracks stone dead at a ranged 51 yards with 20 guage Mossberg pump shooting 3" handlaods tss #9 shot. A 20 guage has less recoil and is lighter to lug around. I cant wait to go back to S. Dakota and try my set up on some pheasants.
I would say to the op get what you want which sounds like a 20 gauge.
Learn to handload tss. You can get the tools for around $100 and its easy to learn. TSS is also non toxic so you can hunt anything anywhere to the best of my knowledge.
Amazing things are being done right now with sub bore guages such as .410 and 28 guages with TSS. I have killed a couple turkeys with .410 using TSS.

Attachments

• 20210412_090222.jpg
    20210412_090222.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I think TSS could have some great advantages for pheasants. Would allow for smaller shot, which could mean higher densities at wider patterns. Some 9s in an improved cylinder or skeet choke might work super for pheasants. I know I'd benefit from a wider pattern that is still dense enough to kill a rooster.

If you're set on that platform, then I'd go 20 gauge. But only for the weight savings. A proper upland gun in 20 gauge should weigh in right at 6 pounds or under. The Brownings are bit heavier than that.

Also, who gave @2rocky's wife the password to his account? Some BS right there.

I bought my first over-under several years ago and went with the 20 gauge. My main reason was my 12 gauge is probably 3-4 pounds heavier than my new 20, which over a long day of hiking makes it a dream to carry compared to the 12. I hunt upland with the 20 gauge now and waterfowl with the 12.

I bought my first over-under several years ago and went with the 20 gauge. My main reason was my 12 gauge is probably 3-4 pounds heavier than my new 20, which over a long day of hiking makes it a dream to carry compared to the 12. I hunt upland with the 20 gauge now and waterfowl with the 12.

3-4#!!!! that's a heck of a lot.

My latest 12 weighs 6lb 1oz. Most 20s will weigh more than that. If you want a comfortable gun to carry, that can be done easily with a 12 gauge. Just has to be a criteria in your search.

Attachments

• 20210609_075411.jpg
    20210609_075411.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210609_075232.jpg
    20210609_075232.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
3-4#!!!! that's a heck of a lot.

My latest 12 weighs 6lb 1oz. Most 20s will weigh more than that. If you want a comfortable gun to carry, that can be done easily with a 12 gauge. Just has to be a criteria in your search.

To be fair though, this chasing ounces game in a 12 bore equates to roughly $500 per ounce lost. ;)

Lovely. Is that the new stock?

Also, If god didn't want Americans to shoot stacked barrels, he wouldn't have given us John Moses Browning.

That's the original wood. I am slowly refinishing it and added the leather buttpad. I will rub it out after another month or so, but I want shoot it tonight.

This gun cost me $750, to my door. I added another $35 for the buttpad.

The gun that was restocked is a 7lb 4 oz gun and I have no spent crazy money on it. But it will be shot tonight also. Sure wish it would cool off.

Stacked barrels - an American Tragedy... :(

John should have stopped with his singleshot - the basis, if not the exact version of the 1885 Winchester - finest rifle ever made, bar none

That's the original wood. I am slowly refinishing it and added the leather buttpad. I will rub it out after another month or so, but I want shoot it tonight.

This gun cost me $750, to my door. I added another $35 for the buttpad.

The gun that was restocked is a 7lb 4 oz gun and I have no spent crazy money on it. But it will be shot tonight also. Sure wish it would cool off.

Stacked barrels - an American Tragedy... :(

John should have stopped with his singleshot - the basis, if not the exact version of the 1885 Winchester - finest rifle ever made, bar none

Stacked bbls were already a thing in Europe going back to wheellock days, but began again in earnest around 1909 with Boss & Woodward getting in on the "action" (Dad pun alert).

The Germans then perfected it in the 1910's through the 30's and Our Lord & Savior John Moses Browning made it for the masses with the Superposed.

S0, you & your new-fangled side-by-sides need to recognize the lineage of which you descended, and it's stacked origins. Sir.

The leather pad is wonderful. Nice refinish! I'm sending your email addy to my wife so you can help her with my christmas present. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back