Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pheasant Gun: 20 gauge or 12?

Zootownelk

I'm looking to get my first and long-awaited over/under shotgun. I have a slew of other shotguns, all 12 gauges, except for a single shot 20 I started with. 90% of the time, this gun will be used for wild pheasants over flushing dogs. It will see limited use for dove/grouse/quail. My head says just go with the 12, but my heart wants a 20. I only want the 20 for some variety in my collection and a little lighter gun to carry, BUT this will become my primary upland gun, so I don't want to limit myself either. It will likely be awhile before I purchase another over/under. Most shots are between 25-45 yards on wild birds. What would you do?
* Edit* most hunting takes place where non-toxic shot is required.

Last edited:
I bought a 20 and hardly ever pick up my 12's anymore. I use a 20 for everything from waterfowl to turkey. Both will work, it's just personal preference.

I use a 20 for grouse, woodcock, and turkey. I grab the 12 every time for pheasants. Those things are tough.

You've got the hots for a 20, so you might as well get it. If you don't, you'll end up with a 12 and a 20 not too far down the road... ;)

IME, there's not much of a difference. Center the bird in the pattern and one makes them as dead as the other. That said, I shoot my 20ga better than the 12s I have so I lean that way for hunting pheasants.

With changeable chokes why would a guy ever need more than one shotgun? That said they all die when you shoot 'em in the head. Might have a little longer range with a 12 gauge and more bb's to hit 'em in the head.
If you want to go shoot trap for 100 rounds every weekend, go for the 20 gauge.

Why not go 16? There is something about the tradition and nostalgia. I got a Franchi Instinct SL in 16 and its a dream to carry and packs plenty of punch for big ducks and late-season roosters.

Pick up an o/u 20 with a 28 inch barrel and don't look back. Much more enjoyable to pack in the field than the 12 ga and plenty of loads available for the scenario you described. Plus add some variety to your arsenal.

I'm looking to get my first and long-awaited over/under shotgun. I have a slew of other shotguns, all 12 gauges, except for a single shot 20 I started with. 90% of the time, this gun will be used for wild pheasants over flushing dogs. It will see limited use for dove/grouse/quail. My head says just go with the 12, but my heart wants a 20. I only want the 20 for some variety in my collection and a little lighter gun to carry, BUT this will become my primary upland gun, so I don't want to limit myself either. It will likely be awhile before I purchase another over/under. Most shots are between 25-45 yards on wild birds. What would you do?
I have 20's and I have 12's. I like the 20's better for most everything. I do use 12 for waterfowl and turkey. Mostly because I have a couple of basic 12's that have matte finishes and are for rough use. All my doubles are kinda purdy.

My FIL has an old Remington 870 in 20 gauge with an adjustable choke.... Hoping it gets passed on someday...

My FIL has an old Remington 870 in 20 gauge with an adjustable choke.... Hoping it gets passed on someday...
I love my Browning 725 feather 12 ga, and I’m trying hard to talk my dad into buying the same thing in a 20. I’m pretty sure he sees right through me, because I know exactly who it would be passed on to...

I love my Browning 725 feather 12 ga, and I’m trying hard to talk my dad into buying the same thing in a 20. I’m pretty sure he sees right through me, because I know exactly who it would be passed on to...
Those are the exact 2 I'm trying to decide between.

It was a tough decision for me, but I bet you’ll love either one. Mine carries light and points like a dream.

Why not go 16? There is something about the tradition and nostalgia. I got a Franchi Instinct SL in 16 and its a dream to carry and packs plenty of punch for big ducks and late-season roosters.
I guess just because I figure ammo would be limited and if it will even more limited in say 20 years? How do you like the Franchi? have you compared to say Browning or Beretta? I have an old Franchi 48 and a new Affinity.

I guess just because I figure ammo would be limited and if it will even more limited in say 20 years? How do you like the Franchi? have you compared to say Browning or Beretta? I have an old Franchi 48 and a new Affinity.

I have not had an issue finding ammo. it might not be the exact load I want, but all the sporting good stores (even Walmart) carries it. I love it! It's my goal to shoot as many different species with it as I can. It's very light with good fit and finish for the money. It's been a while since I've held a Browning or Beretta, so I can't compare other than the Franchi is lighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back