Yeti GOBOX Collection

PETCO and HSUS

jackfish

I immediately contacted PETCO at the link below to let them know I will no longer be buying anything at their store.

http://www.petco.com/corpinfo_contact.asp?webt=0&cmLink_ID=swft0003

Pet supply retail giant PETCO is working in partnership with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s largest anti-hunting group, to bring the animal rights message to school children across the country.

The PETCO Foundation, the charitable arm of PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc., is sponsoring the HSUS’s National Association for Humane and Environmental Education (NAHEE) Adopt a Teacher program in 500 elementary schools across the country. The program is part of HSUS’s plan to introduce children, grades kindergarten through six, to the animal rights movement.

The Adopt a Teacher program places the HSUS publication Kids In Nature’s Defense (KIND) News into the hands of teachers and students on a monthly basis during the school year. It provides classrooms with materials that promote the HSUS and its agenda, which is to eliminate animal use including hunting, fishing and trapping.

The HSUS is on record in opposition to all hunting. The animal rights organization calls hunting “fundamentally at odds with the values of a humane, just and caring society,” and has been the principal opponent of hunters and trappers in dozens of campaigns in the 50 state legislatures, in Congress, in the courts and in over a dozen voter issues.

Despite HSUS’s anti-hunting and anti-animal use agenda, PETCO Foundation’s Director Paul Jolly is pleased with PETCO’s partnership with the group. He says the PETCO Foundation is “proud to be able to support the NAHEE’s KIND News campaign.”

Sportsmen have seen similar situations before. A company, with which millions of sportsmen and sportswomen do business, agrees to partner with HSUS without considering the complete agenda of the organization. The fact that PETCO is bringing HSUS directly to America’s children makes the situation a true crisis.

“Businesses tend to be uneducated about the real intentions of groups like the Humane Society of the United States,” said U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance President Walter P. Pidgeon. “The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance calls on sportsmen to speak in defense of their hunting, fishing and trapping heritage. Let PETCO know that it is unacceptable for a business to help bring the anti-hunting sentiment of the animal rights movement into America’s classrooms.”

Take Action! Sportsmen should contact PETCO and let the company know that its support of an animal rights group that is working to end America’s outdoor heritage is unacceptable. Contact Brian Devine, President & CEO, PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc., 9125 Rehco Rd., San Diego, CA 92121. Phone: (858) 453-7845 Fax: (858) 453-6585.

------

Taken from the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance On Target, March 2003

Thanks. I contacted them and said I wouldn't be able to shop there anymore.
biggrin.gif

Ummm Cameron....
http://www.arbreptiles.com/extremists2.html

Petsmart and PetCo
Supporting the Humane Society of the United States

Recently it was made public that Petsmart has contributed $15,000 to the HSUS to fund a spay/neuter program in several states.
-------------------------------------------
this clip gives the crux of the article

And if you look at the date at the bottom of the page, the original article that started this thread is about a year old.

Granted, as the article mentions many times businesses don't know the true agenda of certain applicants and even if they did and the application fit a certain grant program, they would probably be approved anyway due to tunnel vision on the part of the grantor. Most don't realize how small a part of HSUS's budget goes to actual animal care. The rest goes to administration and lobbyists.

How Joe citizen can make sure his money isn't going where he doesn't want, check the area where the store has their free flyers and other info, pay attention to what hangs on the wall in different areas. Do some SCOUTING it's great practice for the hunting season because you are looking for details , usually one's right out in the open that you don't normally see.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-30-2003 05:23: Message edited by: MarlandS ]</font>

Thanks Marlands. I didnt get to read the WHOLE story. It wasnt in pop up that I got. I guess I should try and take them back. If they wont refund my $ I am sure that I wont be in that store again anyways. Thanks for the info. I originaly went with them because they had the better price than that of my sporting goods store. Learn from your mistakes. Thanks again

The thing of it is Cameron is that the sportsman's dollars in these two stores are small compared to the general pet owners, I doubt they would even miss it if all sportsman quit using them. Am I saying go ahead and shop there, no, you have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything, just don't expect a change in policy due to this effort.

Back