Caribou Gear Tarp

Personal best

Erik in AK

I really love to fish for Silver Salmon. They are good to eat, they hit a lure readily and hard, they go airborne and they're plentiful most years. I took a couple of buds in my boat to a local river, the Deshka, on Wednesday. It was amazing! The fish were massed in huge schools near the river's mouth. I have never seen so many fish in one place at one time. The fish were literally bumping against the hull of my boat. Despite the bounty they weren't too agressive. At first we threw Mepps and Vibrax spinners and were snagging fish accidently on nearly every cast. We released those fish. After some experimenting we figured out the secret....single hooks and cast into their midst. The ones that hit, did so within one second of the lure hitting the water. We ending up casting a bunch but it was a blast and we caught 3 limits (3 apiece) in a few hours. The nicest thing about the whole day was because it was mid week, we shared this normally crowded river with maybe a dozen other boats instead of a hundred.

I also caught my biggest silver to date. No tape no scale but it's easily the biggest I've caught.

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

Attachments

• Deshka Silver3.JPG
    Deshka Silver3.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 197
Erik, Nice Silver. Congrats! I love Fresh Salmon with white rice and hollandaise sauce poured over top. Yummy!

Fished that hole once for Kings. Multiply the 2 boats in the background by 100 and that is how many were there fishing the same hole. Good times though. Nice looking silver. Hey, it is Aug 10th...I should be sheep hunting. Maybe next year!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back