Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Permit to carry reciprocity in all 50 states

88man

Is anyone not in favor of this? It just seems to make so much sense to me.

If the requirements to get the permit in each state were materially the same in each state, sure. I do worry a bit if there are states with extremely lax permit requirements.

I often wonder how the 2nd Amendment supporters, of which I am one, reconcile Federal-level concealed carry reciprocity laws against the 10th Amendment that gives states rights in all things not specifically granted to the Federal government. I might be looking at it wrong, but it seems rather contradictory to espouse absolutist positions on one of the Amendments, the 2nd Amendment, yet completely disregard the other Amendment(s), in this case the 10th Amendment.

I would prefer to see each state have good concealed carry laws that honor the 2nd Amendment and the USSC interpretations of the 2A, rather than push through some Federal-level legislation that gives the finger to state's rights provided under the 10th Amendment.

There shouldn’t be such a thing as a permit to carry, if you are legally able to purchase and own a firearm there is absolutley no reason you shouldn’t be allowed to carry it. No one should be required to obtain permission for self defense. Glad we finally got constitutional carry passed in ND a few years ago. I am not in favor of a federal permit

The process for concealed carry in CO has been so diluted you don't even have to live fire to get approved. They never check for medical or mental health changes @ renewal. I know from personal conversations that there are whack jobs (diagnosed severe mental illness, substance abusers, domestic violence perpetrators) that are legally carrying here. I would prefer stricter issue requirements and more attention @ renewal. Open carry is legal in much of the state.

There shouldn’t be such a thing as a permit to carry, if you are legally able to purchase and own a firearm there is absolutley no reason you shouldn’t be allowed to carry it. No one should be required to obtain permission for self defense. Glad we finally got constitutional carry passed in ND a few years ago. I am not in favor of a federal permit

This is pretty much spot on. All the CCW and open carry laws have done nothing but muddy the waters. If you can legally purchase it you should be able to legally carry it. Obviously there are few exemptions on location such as schools, courthouse, jail, and privately owned businesses and residences.

The class that you have to take in Kansas to get your CCW permit it’s basically a joke as well. If you’re up right, breathing, and have half a brain you can pretty much pass it.

Forget about Illinois. May as well be in New York! Rules here are really tough. Not many states compare.

The process for concealed carry in CO has been so diluted you don't even have to live fire to get approved. They never check for medical or mental health changes @ renewal. I know from personal conversations that there are whack jobs (diagnosed severe mental illness, substance abusers, domestic violence perpetrators) that are legally carrying here. I would prefer stricter issue requirements and more attention @ renewal. Open carry is legal in much of the state.
Shall not be infringed....remember?

There are some states where it is next to impossible to get a CC permit. In NJ to get a CC permit you must have a written approval from the chief of police. Only after you can prove that your life or your belongings are in constant danger. Usually if you move vast amounts of cash or jewels. Other than that it is very hard to prove. I also lived 20 miles from Camden which competes with Detroit for the murder Capitol of the country. The amount if illegal guns between Camden and Philadelphia should be reson enough to conceal carry a legally owned weapon.

I absolutely get the point BigFin brings up about states rights, is absolutely do. There is no magic pill here. Blanket legislation when the country is so varied doesnt make much sense. There are a few places that rights are stripped from law abiding citizens because of the criminal problems are so bad. Passing regs to curb illegal activity does not restrict the people without regard for laws.

I can tell you the whole culture around guns are different in those places too. I grew up for the most part thinking guns were only used on crimes. My uncle had some he kept in a safe bolted to his foundation and it was very off limits. After I was in TX and going to my friends or my wifes family's and seeing the glass door gun cabinets in the family room and it was the most normal thing ever. When people are raised around guns they tend to understand an respect them much more.

I do think NJ guns laws are horse shit. I never bought anything while I was up there. A coworker bought a hand gun after he had to pay for fingerprints and a 3 month wait period to have a gun purchasing permit good for 45 days or so.

Last edited:
I have a CC in NY, for years actually. I also have NR CC permits in three other states. I would be in favor of national certification and reciprocity.

The only way I would agree with a national certification is if they took the most stringent parts of every state law and used that as the basis for national certification...otherwise, state law should take preference so long as it upholds the USSC rulings on the 2nd amendment.

The only way I would agree with a national certification is if they took the most stringent parts of every state law and used that as the basis for national certification...otherwise, state law should take preference so long as it upholds the USSC rulings on the 2nd amendment.
The issue with this is then you get NJ gun laws. When it is easier for criminals to get gun than law abiding citizens there is a problem. There are not many instances where CC is an issue. There are many instances of criminal using guns the vast majority illegally owned to rob and shoot people.

People that get CC permits are usually not the ones you need to worry about using a gun irresponsibly.

What I will never understand MattK, is why you and many others think a law abiding individual should be considered a criminal when they cross a state line, I find it ironic that it is acceptable that states can and do put such limitations on the second amendment. The press finds it just fine to put an Individual in jail because they just happened to cross a state line, get pulled over for speeding, indicate to the officer that they are CC which is what many are taught, the only crime they broke was speeding, but because they unknowingly did not realize their right and permit was flushed down the toilet when they cross a state line. A law-abiding American citizen should have the same right in California as they do in ND. Its interesting that a state can limit our Second Amendment as they seem fit to with no fuss from the press, in fact they seem to support all gun control, whens the last time you seen the national news disagree with a gun control issue, but if a state tries to limit the 1st amendment or as recently the 14 amendment as the abortion issue, oh my god its a travesty that a state would do such a thing and it should be overturned immediately, and if it was a vote by the people to limit or restrict abortion, that states population is nothing but a buch of bible thumping gun clinging backwards people that don't understand the constitution. Apologize for the rant. Have a great memorial day weekend.

If a states drivers licence is valid in all 50 states, why should not a CC licence be? A drivers licence is far far easier to obtain and accounts for more deaths than CC weapons !

Is a marriage license valid in all 50 states? I don't know the answer to that, but I think not in some cases.

Back