Permethrin Clothing Treatment

jzeck2

Will be doing some archery bear hunting this fall in Ontario and worried a little bit about bugs. Has anyone tried the unscented permethrin clothing spray. They say it lasts for several washings. I'm of course worried about odor and the bears great sense of smell.

I've used the spray from Sawyer, it seemed to work well and not leave an odor. My brother used another brand, which I can't remember, and it did leave some odor. Another friend of mine uses the same stuff he uses for his horses, dilutes it to same strength as the clothing sprays for a lot less money - not sure if his method has more or less odor.

Sawyers brand permethrin (carried by Cabelas, around $18 , enough to treat two complete outfits ) claims 6 week and multiple washing durability. For spring turkey I retreat after 3-4 weeks as I wash most clothing after every outing.....I have a strong reaction to poison ivy and my turkey haunts are lousy with ivy.

When I am feeling frugal, I also have used 5% permethrin labeled for agricultural use (Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Co-op) and diluted it down the same active ingredient percentage as Sawyers. As the son of a veterinarian, I am quite used to using animal medicines on myself, and so far the oinking, mooing and bleating with intermittent whinnying remains tolerable per Mrs kansasdad. :)

I used permethrin spray this spring in Montana. The stuff is amazing I watched several ticks climb on my pants and then immediately die. I was able to call a bear into 10 yards wearing permethrin and got within 45 of several others. Needless to say I didn't have any trouble with bears busting me because of the spray. I would highly recommend using it.

Sawyer spray is .5 percent concentration and like many things is marketed in a way that comes with a high price. I buy the 10 percent concentration by the gallon jug made for horses, then cut it 20:1 with water. Same stuff and results as Sawyers for about 25 cents a bottle. Check out you local farm store, and get the water soulubal type. Simple math, simple savings. Plus I use it for spraying shrubs, flowers, the dog..... if you start looking at active ingredients you will be surprised. The plant spray called Seven, kids and dogs lice and flea spray, yup.. permethrin

Great tip, schmalts!
I've used permethrin with success for ticks. They fall right off my pants. But it doesn't seem to deter mosquitos at all for me.

I'd rather pick ticks off, personally. Permethrin is nasty, nasty stuff.

I'll take my chances with the permethrin. I've seen too many people's lives ruined by tick carried diseases to risk not using it. I've never seen anyone get sick from permethrin.

I use the farm stuff to save money. Works great for the ticks but is worthless for mosquitoes.

Used Sawyers permethrin treatment last year. I hunt in NC and in early season a lot of ticks and chiggers. Year before last I was
absolutely eaten alive by chiggers and endured the most miserable and intense itching you can imagine. Last year use the Sawyers and didn't get one bite. Stuff is great and completely odorless too

Get a thermocell

Thermocell is great for mosquitoes and supposedly, black flies, but it is of no use for ticks. I have used one A LOT doing summer depredation deer work around swamps and it works really great for mosquitoes. They are only really effective if you are static, though.

I am currently doing the treatment for Lyme disease and I would much rather deal with the Permethrin. I will definitely be trying it next spring during my noxious weed work.

Back