Perfect bullet

These five bullets are 400 grain Barnes Triple shock taken from four Cape Buffalo, only one bull required an extra insurance shot. The scrap on the left is what is left of a 140 grain Berger taken from a Sable, the cartridge was a 6.5 x 284. The rifles used on the buffalo Were two by a 416 Rigby and two by a 416 Remington.

Last edited:
Cooler when they plow through. mtmuley
Four bullets were found bulging against the hide on the off side after taking out both shoulders and everything in between. The fifth bull was facing Me and i have no idea where the trackers found it. The bull dropped to the shot. Two were taken on one Eastern , Tanzania trip, the other two taken the following year in the Selous, also Tanzania. I have take many other buffalo with the same brand of bullet where they traveled all the way through. Have used other brands of bullets on Cape buff over the decades and I think the Triple Shock are my current favorite. Decades ago I only used solids. Kindest Regards

Four bullets were found bulging against the hide on the off side after taking out both shoulders and everything in between. The fifth bull was facing Me and i have no idea where the trackers found it. The bull dropped to the shot. Two were taken on one Eastern , Tanzania trip, the other two taken the following year in the Selous, also Tanzania. I have take many other buffalo with the same brand of bullet where they traveled all the way through. Have used other brands of bullets on Cape buff over the decades and I think the Triple Shock are my current favorite. Decades ago I only used solids. Kindest Regards
Sounds like great performance. Most bullet discussions here don't include Cape Buffalo. Totally different requirements. mtmuley

I should probably mention in defense of the scrap of Berger bullet, the Sable did not go anywhere either. This is an open range Sable taken near Lake Rukwa, Tanzania
The only thing more gorgeous than that animal is that rifle!! Thank you for you insight into bullet performance on big/dangerous game.

Thank you Longcut. Besides being a beauty, the rifle is also extremely accurate. On that safari it took eight animals with eight shots. Most of my rifles were made prior to synthetic stocks coming into use. Mine all seem to shoot well enough for me. I do have a couple of hard used 300 Win Mags and one 338 Win Mag with synthetic stocks.

Ancient 416 Rigby crafted by Griffin & Howe.3E932D6F-6511-423B-AFF0-41C3EACE944A.jpeg. Have had the opportunity to use many different stopping rifles but this has been my companion on many, many adventures over the decades it is my favorite. Responsible for two of the earlier mentioned four buffalo. I had just polished the stock hiding wear also if you look closely blueing is worn off the barrel. I have no idea how many game animals big and small i have taken with it. Love this rifle.

Last edited:
Ancient 416 Rigby crafted by Griffin & Howe.View attachment 155797. Have had the opportunity to use many different stopping rifles but this has been my companion on many, many adventures over the decades it is my favorite. Responsible for two of the earlier mentioned four buffalo. I had just polished the stock hiding wear also if you look closely blueing is worn off the barrel. I have no idea how many game animals big and small i have taken with it. Love this rifle.

Beautiful rifle that could no doubt tell some amazing stories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back