Perfect bullet

Beautiful rifle, my 505 Gibbs from Griffin and Howe was not near so pretty, but the same long action Mauser with the side mount G&H scope mount. I was always impressed how that system kept its zero after taking it off and on. I switched to a 416 and wound up using it almost exclusively with great results. Wish I had kept more of the recovered bullets ,I sent mine off to Barnes with kudos on how well they did. My last Buff was at 20 yards in the brush and the 400 gr 416 broke both shoulders and exited, one of the few I did not recover. That rifle reminds me of Tanzania and Harry Selby who always liked the double rifles in 470 as backup on dangerous game. I hunted Botswana with Tony Henley and his favorite was a Holland and Holland in 470 as well, thankfully never needed a second shot, he did allow that the 416 in any flavor was one of the best, better than the 375 H&H for the big stuff but still good for sable and eland an longer range.

Beautiful rifle, my 505 Gibbs from Griffin and Howe was not near so pretty, but the same long action Mauser with the side mount G&H scope mount. I was always impressed how that system kept its zero after taking it off and on. I switched to a 416 and wound up using it almost exclusively with great results. Wish I had kept more of the recovered bullets ,I sent mine off to Barnes with kudos on how well they did. My last Buff was at 20 yards in the brush and the 400 gr 416 broke both shoulders and exited, one of the few I did not recover. That rifle reminds me of Tanzania and Harry Selby who always liked the double rifles in 470 as backup on dangerous game. I hunted Botswana with Tony Henley and his favorite was a Holland and Holland in 470 as well, thankfully never needed a second shot, he did allow that the 416 in any flavor was one of the best, better than the 375 H&H for the big stuff but still good for sable and eland an longer range.
Wow Durango, you hunted with the legendary Toney Henley. I have never used the 505 Gibbs. Own and have used 500 Jeffery, 450 Ackley, and 470 Nitro Express. They are just gathering dust these days. Have borrowed from PH’s his 500 Nitro Express When my rifles did not show up on time. I hunted Botswana ages ago with Mark Selby, Harry Selby’s son. Mark passed away Before his dad. We have been very lucky men to have hunted so many wonderful places. Kindest Rdgards.

Talk about lucky, my wife and I spent 21 days with Tony in Botswana in 1990 as our honeymoon, Tony stopped for tea every day and was a marvelous story teller every evening. That was the first of 7 safaris my wife and I have taken, nothing measured up to that 3 weeks, shot a 59 inch Kudu and a 48 inch Buff that trip, still the best african trophies I have taken. I have some very amusing stories about Tony and his encyclopedic knowledge of African flora and fauna was amazing. Tony and I got along famously as I was all about Buff and never wanted to shoot cats over bait, so all we focused on was the big guys. That trip my heavy rifle was a 458 Lott, the 505 and the 416 made subsequent trips. I chose the Lott for the first trip because of interchangeable ammo with the 458 win in case my Lott ammo got lost in transit, never lost anything it transit on any trips. I corresponded with Tony for several years and one of the PH's I met was killed along with his client by a wounded Buff two weeks after we left, the 505 made the next trip. I traded off the 505 for crazy money, still have the 416 Rem although have thought of selling it as no more trips to Africa are in the cards. I could never part with the Lott as it holds too many memories.

Yo made a wise choice for your first safari, which is always the most impactful no matter how many times you return. A first class destination, a good campi and a famous PH for 21 days add dramatically to this wonderful experience. So many first timers are afraid they will make a mistake and just “ hedge their bet “ on that first safari. Fifty years ago, I thought my first safari would also be my last so went all the way with 40 days in Zambia, chosen because it was wild country and because the country was in such upheaval It was not too expensive. My little charter plane dropped me on a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere. Dog tired I collapsed on my cot as night came, wondering if I had made a big mistake, just then a lion roared in the darkness outside my tent, smiling I snuggled down knowing I was home.
I got lucky and have visited Africa’s hunting countries more times than I can count, along with all North American animals and Asia mainly for sheep. one of my most vivid memories is that first night on the Luangwa River, Zambia.

Yo made a wise choice for your first safari, which is always the most impactful no matter how many times you return. A first class destination, a good campi and a famous PH for 21 days add dramatically to this wonderful experience. So many first timers are afraid they will make a mistake and just “ hedge their bet “ on that first safari. Fifty years ago, I thought my first safari would also be my last so went all the way with 40 days in Zambia, chosen because it was wild country and because the country was in such upheaval It was not too expensive. My little charter plane dropped me on a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere. Dog tired I collapsed on my cot as night came, wondering if I had made a big mistake, just then a lion roared in the darkness outside my tent, smiling I snuggled down knowing I was home.
I got lucky and have visited Africa’s hunting countries more times Than I can count, along with all North American animals and Asia mainly for sheep. one of my most vivid memories is that first night on the Luangwa River, Zambia.
Talk about lucky, my wife and I spent 21 days with Tony in Botswana in 1990 as our honeymoon, Tony stopped for tea every day and was a marvelous story teller every evening. That was the first of 7 safaris my wife and I have taken, nothing measured up to that 3 weeks, shot a 59 inch Kudu and a 48 inch Buff that trip, still the best african trophies I have taken. I have some very amusing stories about Tony and his encyclopedic knowledge of African flora and fauna was amazing. Tony and I got along famously as I was all about Buff and never wanted to shoot cats over bait, so all we focused on was the big guys. That trip my heavy rifle was a 458 Lott, the 505 and the 416 made subsequent trips. I chose the Lott for the first trip because of interchangeable ammo with the 458 win in case my Lott ammo got lost in transit, never lost anything it transit on any trips. I corresponded with Tony for several years and one of the PH's I met was killed along with his client by a wounded Buff two weeks after we left, the 505 made the next trip. I traded off the 505 for crazy money, still have the 416 Rem although have thought of selling it as no more trips to Africa are in the cards. I could never part with the Lott as it holds too many memories.

I got lucky and have visited Africa’s hunting countries more times than I can count, along with all North American animals and Asia mainly for sheep. one of my most vivid memories is that first night on the Luangwa River, Zambia.
We started thinking it was a one and only, and both of us were so taken with Africa and hunting there we just kept going back. My favorite Tony story was when we were hunting Sitatunga from dug out canoes we stopped for Tony to climb a tree on a small island to scout. Unbeknownst to him there was a VERY large lizard asleep who was rudely awakened by Tony's presence which then launched himself and landed between the two dugouts drenching us,with Tony hanging on (it was a huge lizard) to a limb over the water. I remember how many times we laughed every time Tony wanted one of the boys to climb a tree to scout. I think a good whiskey and a fireplace would be in order for us to share some memories, I would love to hear about sheep hunts, and African stories bring back so many great times.

We started thinking it was a one and only, and both of us were so taken with Africa and hunting there we just kept going back. My favorite Tony story was when we were hunting Sitatunga from dug out canoes we stopped for Tony to climb a tree on a small island to scout. Unbeknownst to him there was a VERY large lizard asleep who was rudely awakened by Tony's presence which then launched himself and landed between the two dugouts drenching us,with Tony hanging on (it was a huge lizard) to a limb over the water. I remember how many times we laughed every time Tony wanted one of the boys to climb a tree to scout. I think a good whiskey and a fireplace would be in order for us to share some memories, I would love to hear about sheep hunts, and African stories bring back so many great times.
My apologies for getting so far away from The Perfect Bullet topic. I have enjoyed our stories. By the way, i did not know what a Sitatunga was on that first trip to Zambia until my PH asked if i wanted one. We did not have a Mokoro so waded into the swamps, water up tp our necks and climbed a tall tree. When the sun came up and the cold mists cleared, we spotted a dandy a couple hundred yards away. I shot it from the tree top without falling then struggled back to shore, built a fire to warm and dry out. A group of hungry locals hearing my shot, appeared and begged for meat. They ate the whole Sitatunga while we watched while drying out. Kindest Regards to all

After we started talking I could not resist digging in the safe for my 458 Lott, made for me by Sterling Davenport on a pre 64 Model 70, some nice Turkish walnut, the other two are my favorite Ballards in 45-70 and 40-65, super fancy claro, they were in the way so I pulled them out too. My shotguns probably have better wood, but rifles have better memories.

Attachments

• gun wood.jpg
    gun wood.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
Ancient 416 Rigby crafted by Griffin & Howe.View attachment 155797. Have had the opportunity to use many different stopping rifles but this has been my companion on many, many adventures over the decades it is my favorite. Responsible for two of the earlier mentioned four buffalo. I had just polished the stock hiding wear also if you look closely blueing is worn off the barrel. I have no idea how many game animals big and small i have taken with it. Love this rifle.

What a beautiful rifle! What is that scope? Love those smaller scope's on hunting rifles. My elk rifle is a 30-06 with a 1970's Redfield 2 3/4x widefield! Damn that is a beautiful rifle!

Elk rifle, 1903 Springfield.
uvx6yALl.jpg

Federal TLR & TA. Wil do the same thing and have a better B.C then barnes

Federal TLR & TA. Wil do the same thing and have a better B.C then barnes
That is great,I have never used them. I suspect i have been on my last Mbogo hunt, so too late to try them. Cape buffalo are not a long range quarry. How have they worked for you in the heavy weights and larger calibers like the 400 grains in the 416’s?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back