MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pennsylvania Elk

bdubb78

I know it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay early to be thinking about this, but my mind was wandering into the realm of improbably happenings today, and I realized I should be adding PA to my elk wishlist in addition to KY and my home state of MI (and native state of CA). Any advice on which of the zones I should specify next summer or at least stay away from or are the odds of success just as good in any of them (more or less)? I realize the likelihood of drawing is infinitesimal, so I should just mark no preference, but I figured I would throw it out there in hopes some locals have informed opinions.

Some Zones have way more public land to hunt than others. Also, some Zones are way bigger than others and tougher to hunt than others.
No matter what Zone, they all will have some Amazing Bulls in them.

Note that the zone choice makes no difference when it comes to draw odds, if your zone is full, they will assign you the next one. I choose a zone just because we bear hunt in the area and have familiarity. Otherwise I would say pick no preference and if you hit the lottery count yourself lucky. IF you were to draw an area with lesser public land, the cost of paying a fee to hunt would be well worth the caliber of bull you would find. You could always just pick the zone with the most public/state land and go for it.

I liken it to sheep hunting draw odds. Minimal at best, especially with the amount of guys that have full points that have yet to get drawn. But to hunt elk in my home state would be sweet. No preference for zone or sex, as I'd just be happy to get chosen at this point. Finding them, access and the harvest doesn't appear to be the hardest part... mainly having a plan after the harvest and getting it to the check station could be more difficult!!

Id mark no prefernce, the chance you draw one is slim, From my understanding you can still draw even if your perfered area tags are drawn, But i could be wrong.

Something to think about they do a Keca(keystone, Elk, County Alliance, I think thats what its call) tag every year, i think tickets are like $10 for a chance and you can buy as many chances as you want for a tag for the whole elk area and a longer season. Your chances are still slim but the more your name is in the pot the more your likley to draw, plus all the money raised goes back into the elk in Pa. Good luck, Next year i plan on buying a Keca tag too.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back