MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pelican cooler @ COSTCO

I just got one of these, they are pretty sweet! I learned a lot about coolers and compared them to yeti. while a good cooler, their sizing is very misleading. A yeti 65 is actually only about 61qts, the Pelican coolers actually hold more, the Pelican 65 is actually around 72 quarts. The yeti is almost $200 more. Jeez!

Anyone else have any experience with Pelican coolers?

Thanks JR, not to bash yeti but that is pretty misleading. Kind of sad, really. Now I have two reasons to never buy one, price and dishonesty.

I was looking at those Pelicans at Costco the other day...might have to try one out. That being said, this is the only Yeti that I own!

Attachments

• yeti.jpg
    yeti.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 4,584
My Dad bought one of the Pelican's at Costco in April. We took it down the Smith. Cool temps, but the cooler still performed better than my Igloo cooler.

They are very tall. Just something to get used to....

This thread brought these coolers to my attention again. I needed a bear proof cooler for camping so I picked up a 95 qt for $299. They are really nice coolers at a great price.

This thread brought these coolers to my attention again. I needed a bear proof cooler for camping so I picked up a 95 qt for $299. They are really nice coolers at a great price.

Are they always that price at Costo or is it a sale thing?

Where did you see the 95qt for @299? They are 379$ right now at costco.com. 299 is a great price.

Are they always that price at Costo or is it a sale thing?

Based on my understanding, when they hit the local stores they are the lower price. They don't last so if you see one, be prepared to buy or miss out until the next shipment.

I don't visit costco much but my co-worker is there 2x a month, so she is on the lookout.

I have a cooler question.

I hear nothing but good things about the Yeti/Pelican expensive a$$ coolers, but it is a hard pill to swallow buying one. I took a cooler on a float trip that cost a fraction of these and it held ice for 3ish days. I'm told these will go a week and a half with ice if not longer.

I'm kind of clueless because I've never really had the need for one, but then again I rarely go out for hunts longer than 3 or 4 days, in which case my cheap a$$ coleman works fine.

I'm having a tough time imagining paying more for a cooler than I did for my 2 used chest freezers combined. In what situation are you guys using these coolers? Long hunts? Floats? Just work and life in the back of your truck?

I think some camping areas require "bear proof" food storage. Both Yeti and Pelican make the claim that they are indeed bear proof. If I recall correctly, the fine print in the Yeti literature pointed out that the padlock through the padlock holes were what really made it bear proof.

I just can't get over the weight on those suckers. 48 pounds empty for the 65 quart version!

It's a good workout... lift heavy lid, get beer. You just burned some calories. AND your beer will still be cold. Haha

Buying a yeti cooler is an investment. While other slightly less costly coolers will hold ice just as well (or even a bit better), the yeti outshines the others in total "toughness". My only concern with a yeti is having it stolen. Yeti does offer a few items to make a potential thief work for the cooler.

I'm having a tough time imagining paying more for a cooler than I did for my 2 used chest freezers combined. In what situation are you guys using these coolers? Long hunts? Floats? Just work and life in the back of your truck?

I ran the math on those coolers almost a year ago and I'm still shopping/trying to convince myself to buy one. For me it is long trips, I'm at least a full days drive (12-18hrs) from hunting so there's 2-3 days on top of any trip.

With a moose tag in my pocket, I think I'm going to get over the hump and make the investment this year. I just need them to land at my local Costco and I'll be happy if I can get a 65qt for $250 and/or a 95 for $300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back