Paddling in to hunt Mule Deer in Colorado. (Or other states).

COrookie

So I just wrapped up my first deer hunt and I was successful. My brother decided not get out this year and will be deployed next year but will have six preference points for the 2024 season. A big dream we have had is to paddle into an area on a raft or canoe to hunt mule deer, even if only one of us have a tag. I figure I have a few years to plan this before he can hunt again if not longer because a lot of what we do when he is back will be up to him. We watched a MeatEater episode where they did this in Montana and it seems like such an epic adventure.

For Colorado hunters, is there a unit in the state where this can be done? Just inquiring now but wouldn't actually go on this trip for a few years like I said but ideally within the next five. We are not opposed to going out of state but it would be cool to pull it off in Colorado. We both have blue collar jobs and budget would play a role but since this isn't a rush we could save up. Any hunters from other states please feel free to chime in.

There all kinds of places you “can” do it. It is what you make it. If there is a river in the unit you can make a trip out of it. All just depends on what you want to do. If your desire is to boat into somewhere plan your applications and e scouting accordingly. Finding somewhere that is untouched or only accessible by boat, that is also a good spot holding animals may take a lot of on the ground scouting. Remember, rivers are dangerous and scouting a section of river beforehand is probably more important than scouting your spot.

We use the rivers a lot.
20191118-142523.jpg

There are places in Colorado that this could theoretically be done but so many logistical hurdles make it difficult or not worth it in general in my opinion. By the time fall rolls around most rivers in the state are about at their lowest flows before winter and many become unboatable to rafts and drift boats. The few rivers I can think of that remain boatable in the fall for a craft large enough to get you, your gear, and an animal down the river either have significant whitewater hazards that require expert level boating skills, require hard to obtain boating permits, or have land on both sides of the river that are mostly private or could easily be accessed by a vehicle. So basically some rivers you could boat down but then you would get out and hunt with everybody else on atv's. There are not many wilderness river sections here like farther north, and the streams that do flow through wilderness are generally small and have dangerous rapids that people only run in whitewater kayaks earlier in the year, if at all.

Another hurdle is permitting. If you think the western hunting arena is getting difficult to draw tags, welcome to boating in the West. Same deal. Good river permits are getting damn near impossible to draw with how popular it has become. If you have a large network of boating friends that all apply every year, usually you can get an invite and jump in on their permit but again, this is usually spring/summer. Most rivers that provide good multi-day trips require an application for permits well in advance of your trip and getting these dates to line up with your hunting trip is a monumental challenge in itself since you may draw one but not the other, or the dates you want are simply not available, or the river is too low to boat by September or October.

I won't go too in depth into boating rules and regs but usually camping is highly restricted and you must use designated areas (some that also require advanced reservation and/or have max stay limits of 1 or 2 nights so using one as a long term hunting camp would be impossible) and then packing in your own toilet system - as well as packing it out - are among the many regulations.

I can think of a few rivers where this is possible in Colorado but it would be such a headache for me to make the stars align that it would detract from the hunt. I've been boating and hunting in Colorado my entire life and I just don't think these two activities mix that well here unfortunately. If you find a place do this and it works out for you, for God's sake don't post about it on the internet. Good luck!

You could use your CO points to draw a good tag without a floatable River being a factor and then come hit WI or MN for whitetails with an OTC tag. Lots of water in these parts to explore.

Attachments

• B0FBCC17-1C3F-4AF4-9377-CE9D78C7A9F4.jpeg
    B0FBCC17-1C3F-4AF4-9377-CE9D78C7A9F4.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 203B8C20-B1F7-4339-BBE9-A8BC1B89876E.jpeg
    203B8C20-B1F7-4339-BBE9-A8BC1B89876E.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 62
You could use your CO points to draw a good tag without a floatable River being a factor and then come hit WI or MN for whitetails with an OTC tag. Lots of water in these parts to explore.
Great deer and great pics, but that top pic is one of the best I’ve seen. Congrats.

Could always do the Missouri River in the breaks in Montana.

There are thousands places to try across the west. The best ones are probably the ones that don't look the best. The Missouri River breaks is a classic, you'll find deer probably not a lot of big ones, certainly not right along the river, and other hunters, but the scenery alone can make it worth it.

@NoWiser I love that snowfall canoe buck pic.... looks like an awesome adventure. You day tripping or going on multi-day trips?

There are places in Colorado that this could theoretically be done but so many logistical hurdles make it difficult or not worth it in general in my opinion. By the time fall rolls around most rivers in the state are about at their lowest flows before winter and many become unboatable to rafts and drift boats. The few rivers I can think of that remain boatable in the fall for a craft large enough to get you, your gear, and an animal down the river either have significant whitewater hazards that require expert level boating skills, require hard to obtain boating permits, or have land on both sides of the river that are mostly private or could easily be accessed by a vehicle. So basically some rivers you could boat down but then you would get out and hunt with everybody else on atv's. There are not many wilderness river sections here like farther north, and the streams that do flow through wilderness are generally small and have dangerous rapids that people only run in whitewater kayaks earlier in the year, if at all.

Another hurdle is permitting. If you think the western hunting arena is getting difficult to draw tags, welcome to boating in the West. Same deal. Good river permits are getting damn near impossible to draw with how popular it has become. If you have a large network of boating friends that all apply every year, usually you can get an invite and jump in on their permit but again, this is usually spring/summer. Most rivers that provide good multi-day trips require an application for permits well in advance of your trip and getting these dates to line up with your hunting trip is a monumental challenge in itself since you may draw one but not the other, or the dates you want are simply not available, or the river is too low to boat by September or October.

I won't go too in depth into boating rules and regs but usually camping is highly restricted and you must use designated areas (some that also require advanced reservation and/or have max stay limits of 1 or 2 nights so using one as a long term hunting camp would be impossible) and then packing in your own toilet system - as well as packing it out - are among the many regulations.

I can think of a few rivers where this is possible in Colorado but it would be such a headache for me to make the stars align that it would detract from the hunt. I've been boating and hunting in Colorado my entire life and I just don't think these two activities mix that well here unfortunately. If you find a place do this and it works out for you, for God's sake don't post about it on the internet. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, we’re assuming out of state would be the most viable option.

That looks sweet and I’ll definitely throw those states in the bag. I’ll obviously look into it but for the sake of conversation how’s the public land in those states?

I about had myself talked into a float hunt in WY a few years ago, but it was so dry that year we would have been dragging the boat a lot... Probably should have tried it anyway, after lots of second guessing on that trip I came home with the tag in my pocket.

That looks sweet and I’ll definitely throw those states in the bag. I’ll obviously look into it but for the sake of conversation how’s the public land in those states?
Tons of public land, plenty of deer, and a good chance of getting lucky and seeing some wolves.

Hell yeah, that’s awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back