PEAX Equipment

Packing in water

Are the regular dromedary still good? I usually err on the side of I'm hard on my gear vs I need lightweight. I get nervous about it too and would carry with my gear at least enough to make it and out in case my stash was not there.
The regular drom bags themselves are still good, but check and double check the lid. There are multiple reports out there that the new lids are hit and miss on leaking, which I have also found.

Thank you, are these the 3 in one lids?one big cap to fill, a smaller cap to drink from, then a 90 degree flip out you can connect a hose too? Have you heard where they tend to leak from? I just want a simple one and done lid just to hold water lol.

Thanks all for the responses. I may just make a game time decision if I want to hike in with 4 or 5 gallons than come back for my camp and a 10L dromedary. Or go in real heavy first trip round. Even if I end up leapfrogging my water after I get back there.

I have burnt through well over a gallon in a few hrs putting up fence and came no where close to quenching thirst. There may well be some water in pockets up there with the monsoons but you can find yourself royally screwed in any event you dont have water.

I would probably plan on packing in as much water as I could the day before, come out, spend the night, and go in with camp the next day. Heavy loads coming out are one thing, but a heavy one going in isn't wise IMO.

get a food grade plastic bucket with snap on lid 3 gallon weigh 1-1/2 lbs lasts for years even in full light costs nothing at grocery store bakery (icing bucket for their doughnuts)

dig hole bury. I carry them in in pairs as balanced loads on llamas, If used wisely 6 gallons lasts a long time.

Thank you, are these the 3 in one lids?one big cap to fill, a smaller cap to drink from, then a 90 degree flip out you can connect a hose too? Have you heard where they tend to leak from? I just want a simple one and done lid just to hold water lol.

Thanks all for the responses. I may just make a game time decision if I want to hike in with 4 or 5 gallons than come back for my camp and a 10L dromedary. Or go in real heavy first trip round. Even if I end up leapfrogging my water after I get back there.

I have burnt through well over a gallon in a few hrs putting up fence and came no where close to quenching thirst. There may well be some water in pockets up there with the monsoons but you can find yourself royally screwed in any event you dont have water.
Yes the 3 in 1 lid. I had two leak, one from the main big threads, one from the smaller cap. The one I have now works fine. I still have one of the old style lids too, but you can't get them anymore, maybe ebay. I'm with you I wish it was a simpler design...it's only job is to NOT leak.

I think the empty cans are were all the weight is or at least that is what people tend to leave in the woods. One of these days I am going to find an unopened six pack in a cold stream.

Like this?

do you really need to pack water? i don't know. if there ain't no water will there be any animals there? seems like you got to find water in a place for there to be game.

do you really need to pack water? i don't know. if there ain't no water will there be any animals there? seems like you got to find water in a place for there to be game.
A muley can go a long time between sips when feeling sneaky, and being as they live out there they got all the little sipping places figured out.

Often water is nearby on private land that you can not get to but the animals can.

In eastern Montana there are seep alkali springs where the water is the color of motor oil. Animals will drink it and get by but if you do you will quickly find you didn't pack enough TP. Maybe you could filter that water, but I will let someone else try that first.

I’ve hunted in plenty of dry places where the only water was like chocolate milk with cow pies lining the riparian. Deer drink it, but I’d rather pack water in those cases.

I am just amassed at how far some people will pack in beer. I have found beer cans where no sane person would pack them.
You have missed the obvious link of your peeves. The beer is floated into position using the party balloons, the beer is then drunk and the heavy can and balloon husk are left as "just too heavy " to pack out... in a drunken stuporIMG_3885.JPG

Found this stash in Utah last year. I'm a cow when it comes to water usually drinking ~6L a day. I usually find myself making hot mid day treks down and back up to resupply or taking the long route to a new spot to hit the nearest water source.

Back