Caribou Gear

Packing elk out of backcountry on horse.

steamfitter

Hello everyone as u might guess im new here. I have a question on packing a elk head out on horse whats the best way i have pack in a few years now and have killed an elk every year just never one that i wanted mounted till last year. Normally we cut the horns out of skull but last year i just cape him out to the back of head . I didnt fully cape him out because of time and light and it sure was fun trying to keep it balanced atop a decker saddle. I have learned to pack by trial and error been around horses my who;e life used to rodeo alot when was younger but packing is an art and sure resect all the guys that do it well. Im pretty good with normal shaped objects but the horns are a little different. Thanks

The best and easiest advice I can give is.... make sure there is snow and drag it! :D

For those other situations.... (looked at your picture) the antlers need to be pointed toward ground more, facing backwards like it is. Believe it or not, having the head sitting more so on the actual saddle actually makes it balance better and obviously easier for the horse if it is further back than on his neck (12 years of packing out bulls). If you want cape it, have the cape off to one side (easiest if in a bag and tied as close to the neck as possible while still being connected to the head, obviously) then on the other side of the saddle horn, have another bag that is a quarter full of meat, or just weight to balance the saddle so it doesn't keep slipping off. If the saddle isn't balanced, packing out an elk can be one of the worst experiences ever!

To get it to balance and to sit on the saddle and actually stay, the most vital thing you can buy is 50-100 feet of braided kernmantle rope. It doesn't stretch or loosen. It is amazing!! By that time, you have killed your bull, the hard work is done (for the most part), having your horse pack or drag out the elk is probably one of the more enjoyable parts of the hunt!

Last edited:
Put it right on/in the saddle, cape on one side...backstraps in the other. Make sure panyards are even, strap it down and get er done son.

I pack two ways
1st- Take a small tarp and lay it out,bone the elk completely out and place in good canvas bags and place in panairds.I like the hard sided for this one Takes two guys about 2.5 hrs
2nd- Short quarter the elk, bag and place in panairds.pack or saddle,both work ,Takes two guys about an hour
Balancing the head,horns and cape is the key, take a big chunk of fire wood wrapped in burlap with a set of elk antlers screwed to it to practice teaching your pack horses.
My horses and I packed my bull out this fall about 4 miles,never had to tighten or adjust a hitch.Practice makes perfect. Everybody has their favorite"right way" Figure yours out then stick with it .I agree with all the comments

Five Point bull boned and in pannairds

Last edited:
Thanks, i think like yall said tried putting horns to high was worried about banging trees and horn hitting horse and all hell breaks loose so hopefully i can keep practiceing meaning getting one every year.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back