MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pack Saw

MThuntr

I'm buying my first titanium wood stove for lightweight backpack hunting and it dawned on me that busted sticks/branches may not be enough for a decent fire. I have small folding handsaw that does ok but it really doesn't look like it will last with regular use.

What pack saw do you guys recommend? I'd like it to be as light and functional as possible.

I really like the Wyoming Saws. I have both sizes.

I am also a big fan of the Wyoming saw. I have tried a few other but that set up is still the best the I have used.

I really like the Wyoming saw as well. Really solid, but they definitely aren't the lightest thing. The Knives of Alaska saw looks pretty sweet too and is smaller. I'm in the market for a lighter saw as well so would be interested in what people have to say.

Someone had a short wood saw from a home improvement store. it was lighter than the Wyoming Saw and fit between the pack and frame. Twenty Bucks...

shopping

My vote is also for the wyoming saw. Wood and bone blades...can't beat em. One piece of equipment I don't go hunting without.

I use a griz-saw by outdoor edge 6ounces and 8" with quality blades. sheath allows you to pack it well. my buddy had a gerber folding saw blade snap in his hand a few years back, luckily it wasn't in backcountry and needed to get to Emer room ASAP, 18 stiches in hand and wrist later I will never carry a gerber saw in backcountry. I own a Wyoming saw but due to weight/size it never leaves base camp

I really like the looks of this saw.

As an aside, I went through a winter mountain ops training last year. We saw about every shape and size of pack saw in the course. The lightweight bow saws always come out at the top of the heap when all is said and done.

Hinge pins break, blades get kinked, and so on. Some of the folders do okay, but a saw like the Wyoming or Sven are just so dependable for cutting firewood and/or building emergency shelters.

Another vote for the Sven Saw! I've had one for at least a decade. Super easy to use, packs so small and very lightweight. We use the smallest size in the Boundary Waters and it handles just about anything you need to cut.

I've had my Wyoming saw probably 35 yrs, but the Sven Saw looks great also.

I have both Wyoming and Sven saws. For me, it seems like the Sven saw is too "wiggly" and binds up some. The Wyoming saw is what has lived in my pack for the last couple of decades.

Dustrude pack saw

Check out the Bob Dustrude pack saw at Duluth Pack Co. or just google it for other retailers. This is the lightest, sharpest, quickest - I have used them all and nothing comes close to this, nothing. This was made for Quetico and BWCA trips where weight and space are at a premium. I have full size ( 30") bow saws that don't cut as good as this does. And it was designed and mfg. by a WWII veteran pilot.

I agree, the Bob Dustrude quick bow saw is an Outstanding saw. I own a 24'', it's light and very capable. If your thinking of buying one, don't think for too long, the guy (Bob) is 94 years old. And he still cuts his own firewood!

Back