Pack Saw

Check out the Bob Dustrude pack saw at Duluth Pack Co. or just google it for other retailers. This is the lightest, sharpest, quickest - I have used them all and nothing comes close to this, nothing. This was made for Quetico and BWCA trips where weight and space are at a premium. I have full size ( 30") bow saws that don't cut as good as this does. And it was designed and mfg. by a WWII veteran pilot.

Bob, do you have to get replacement blades from that company or can you use other blades? For example could you use the Bahco 30" blade with one of these?

blades

Good question. The blade on mine has 2 holes on either end with the furthest span being 23" center to center. The other hole is 1/2" toward the middle. The hole itself is 1/4" diameter. Blade depth is 3/4". The blades are very high quality, "sticky" sharp - meaning if you touch the teeth they will stick you. I have had the same blade for several years and will probably just take it in to have it touched up.
I should also mention that there are no lose parts to lose, and when you fold it up and give it just a little squeeze, it is silent - no rattle. On my kitchen scale, it weighs 15 oz.
This is the best there is, period.

+1 Wyo saw in my pack for 2 decades next to my trusty vanguard, and its sharpener.
Heavy but so it my pack!

Dang maybe I'll have to look better into this Bob Dustrude saw. I did a search and a lot of people seem to like them. Looks like spare blades are available but I'd definitely have to find multiple suppliers to ensure long term use.

Good question. The blade on mine has 2 holes on either end with the furthest span being 23" center to center. The other hole is 1/2" toward the middle. The hole itself is 1/4" diameter. Blade depth is 3/4". The blades are very high quality, "sticky" sharp - meaning if you touch the teeth they will stick you. I have had the same blade for several years and will probably just take it in to have it touched up.
I should also mention that there are no lose parts to lose, and when you fold it up and give it just a little squeeze, it is silent - no rattle. On my kitchen scale, it weighs 15 oz.
This is the best there is, period.

Thanks for the other measurements. I am particular about my saw blades. I think there is a Bahco that is similar.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back