Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pack frames

shawncmc

Hi, I'm new to this site but have been following for a while now. I'm considering an optional pack frame for packing meet (hopefully) and wondering what would be a decent one to go with (I currently have a Kelty external and a Black Ridge internal). I'm looking at the Cabelas Alaskan I and was wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences with this frame?

Thanks for any input,
Shawn

Haven't tried the Cabelas Alaskan, but I'm planning on getting the Mystery Ranch NICE frame setup. With it's versatility it should be the last pack I'll ever buy.

I'd second Spitz's suggestion and have you look at Kifaru as well. Both are internal's that can be converted to a type of pack frame. For me, I just bag the meat and carry it inside the backpack.

FYI, Camelbak will be producing a version of the Mystery Ranch NICE frame and selling it for quite a bit less.

Shawn,
I have an alaskan outfitters pack frame. One of the few complaints I have with mine is the adjustments around the waist doesn't cinch down tight for me. I'm a 32 waist. Other than that I'm happy with it. I've went on long trips (14 miles one way) and its done great. Its not the best pack out there, but I think its worth the money.

EL

Shawn,
Two of my hunting partners bought Alaskan packs from Cabelas last before our trip to MT. Both packs had trouble. Rodney's pack had minor trouble with a buckle breaking. While Mikey's back had major trouble. When we loaded up the pack with a heavy load (@ 100 lbs) the should strap adjustment broke. The strap and the pin that holds it to the frame broke. We were all very disapointed with the packs. I use a lot of Cabelas products. I have found that their products are just as good as some of the big name brands. I would never buy one of their packs. Well that is just my two cents. For the past 10 years I had used a Kelty internal frame pack, Arapaho model (I think). However I decided to swith packs this year. I bought a North Face internal frame.

Mystery Ranch has some of the frames produced by CamelBak now. They sell for $50 less ($200) and come with a 3 year instead of a lifetime warranty. They're pretty much identical with the Mystery Ranch produced stuff. You then save $50 or more depending on the bag you want to put on the frame. The crewcab comes in this month and it'll be about $130, so you end up saving $100 or more depending on the setup.

Pack decisions are tough for sure...really depends on the type of hunting and packing you do.

I used a cabelas Alaskan I for a dall sheep in Alaska. I used it quite a bit for elk hunting, packing etc. They worked fairly well...but I've since learned a bit more about packs. The Alaskan frame will fall apart pretty quickly with any amount of weight. Too many parts that just arent made to bend. I trashed 2 frames...but the pack is still in good shape. The waist belt broke as well.

I've since went to the Mystery Ranch NICE setup with 2 bags...a 4000 and 6500 CI. I got a chance to use it quite a bit this fall. I'll never go back to an external frame for anything...including hauling dead critters.

Heres a couple pictures of the Mystery Ranch in use.

Both are the NICE frame with the 6500 CI bag.

A boned out mule deer buck, plus head, antlers, cape. I also had my rifle, some ammo, water, various other gear. I could have easily fit more stuff.

IMG_1470_1_1.JPG

This one is the same bag with an entire boned sitka blacktail, plus all my hunting gear (spotting scope, water, ammo, knives, etc. etc. etc.). I comfortably hunted for half a day with the deer and all my gear on my back.

IMG_1597_1_1.JPG

I think for comfort, durability, and over-all use...the mystery ranch NICE is about as good as it gets.

The thing that sucks is the price tag.

Spitz,

Yes, its the Kifaru sling, works pretty well.

I did have to sew the top strap straight to the shoulder strap on my pack...

Buzz, tell him why you had to sew the top strap on.

I will. I have the same setup Buzz pictured above. I was warned that you can't sit down with the pack on and the gun in the gunbearer. Everyone I know that has done it has ripped the top strap in two when they did it. So what do I do? Plopped my ass down while on Kodiak last fall with the gun in the bearer. Ripped the strap clean in two (it's made of two straps sewn together, and the stitching rips out).

Sewing the top strap on is a good idea if you never intend to put the bearer on a different pack. Or you can just remember to remove the gun any time you sit down. :rolleyes:

Oak is right, thats exactly what I did.

I was going to write kifaru and ask them if they could send at least 2 of the upper straps with every gun-bearer.

But, if you own a mystery ranch pack...not sure why you'd need to be switching between packs.

Thanks guys. I finally got fed up with having my rifle in various uncomfortable positions and/or falling off my shoulder because the shoulder strap to my bag was already there. So it looks like I'll be ordering a Kifaru, and I'll have my wife sew it on for me.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The Mystery Ranch looks and sounds like a solid setup. Thats one I'll have to think about.

Shawn

BTW Buzz, nice muley buck in the first pic. As for the second, looks like fun, but carrying the deer around for a day and a half would keep me looking over my shoulder up in that country. But admittedly, I'm a big wuss. :)

I want a mystery ranch so badly... I'm sure if i sold a few of the packframes i have i could be closer to the goal....

Someday.... Someday....

Buzz, oak, I am confused. What strap tore? the strap on the MR or the strap on the gun scabbard? Wanting to know because i will have one on my pack this fall and dont want to break something.

I had a cabelas Alaskan and the waist belt never stayed tight with a heavy load in the pack. Now i just use that frame for hauling my climbing treestand around the woods when i am deer hunting.

Back