PA Changing the First Day of Rifle... Thoughts?

JdGoodhart

Since we have a lot of PA hunters on HT, including myself, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about the PGC moving the first day of rifle up from the Monday after Thanksgiving to the Saturday. I personally am not a huge fan of the change. I think it will limit a lot of people hunting who have to work the day after Thanksgiving, which is a lot, to make the trek up to the mountains, especially when they can only hunt Saturday. Also, there are plenty of guys that hunt the Maryland opener on Saturday and then would head to PA for the PA opener, me being one of them. Just my two cents on the issue.

For me being a Pennsylvania native that lives in idaho I benefit. I can fly home for Thanksgiving, go to camp Friday morning with grandpa and the clan, hunt Saturday opener, and fly home Sunday. In turn taking less vacation days.
What I dont like about it is the tradition of it opening on Monday going away. It was like a state holiday with kids getting school off to go afield. It will be sad to see that go.

I am not a big fan, partly because I also usually spend Saturday and Sunday in MD before the season then travel back to PA. But I am going to hate to see the tradition of opening day Monday gone. Lots of guys went up to hunting camp and spent the weekend with the guys before hunting Monday. Now it’s going to be a race to camp after work.
If it does increase license sales, and I am not sure it will. It may be worth it but most long term hunters I know don’t like it.

I am personally not a fan of this. It is going to be a rush to drive up Friday to hunt Sat morning just like it is for bear since they changed that to Sat a few years ago. For the people who only get off weekends and don't travel to hunt I can see it as a benefit.

I think there will be a lot of people killing a lot of deer. As usual.

Great change. I hear the arguments from guys about the traditions of "camp" but not everybody has a camp and not everybody who does goes there anymore. I have never lived in PA as an adult, just growing up, but I remember many dads and moms, including my own, who did not have enough seniority to get that Monday off of work--and that was 20 years ago. I know some schools have gone away from giving the first Monday off too. This change is good and should get more people in the woods--and I am guessing quite a few "come home to hunt" guys will love the chance to spend Thanksgiving at mom's or grandma's house and then get out on Saturday (me included). We heard the same thing years ago when they moved the bear opener to Saturday. Either way, just as it is in most states, the vast majority of deer are killed on Opening day and this year that will be Saturday instead of Monday. For those that hunt that Saturday out of state--you have tough decisions to make I guess, but this change is not about you, it is about the guys/gals/kids who have trouble getting a Monday off to hunt.

We changed to Saturday openers in VA. From my standpoint it was great because there were less conflicts for kids. Then when we finally approved Sunday hunting (private land) it gives you a nice weekend for kids to get started. But I agree, I do kinda miss that opening week feeling. Since muzzleloader season is open the week before, what most guys do is hunt that week and stay at camp for the rifle opener and then go home on Sunday.

I think there are obvious pros and cons, it just depends what your traditions for deer camp are. I know that I'll most likely be hunting our place in Maryland than PA. Hopefully, Sunday hunting is passed soon, which would help this all make sense.

Old timers might not like it. However, it will give the kids more opportunity to hunt

Old timers might not like it. However, it will give the kids more opportunity to hunt
I guess it will give the kids more time to hunt. All the schools in my area still have off for the first day, but if it gets more kids in the woods that is a huge plus.

I think no hunting on Sunday is one of THE dumbest regulations ever. Sorry for the sidetrack.

That's not going to stand for much longer. I'd be very surprised if it isn't changed by next year. Moving the opener to Sat and then not being able to hunt Sun is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. A lot of people are pissed, so they have to stagger the changes a little bit.

I love it. I usually don't have off on opening Monday, so I have to take leave and sometimes my work schedule doesn't allow me to take off. It lets me save valuable leave for things such as family vacations, western hunting trips or other important events. Hopefully the Sunday hunting ban is changed and I will be able to hunt Saturday and Sunday instead of having to burn two days of leave for the first two days like I did this past season.

Personally I don't understand the argument for the tradition of opening Monday. I think it's idiotic. People are just resistant to change even though the change will benefit the majority of hunters. Most people head to camp on Friday anyways. Sorry it impedes your drinking for two days as opposed to allowing others to hunt without taking time off.

Like most said, there are pros and cons which will vary based on work schedules, travel time, etc. I'm fine either way, my area is an hour away and I haven't taken the first day off in years. After the madness of the first day, only a fraction of hunters are around later in the week and I rarely see anyone out during the second week. Much quieter and the deer have returned to normal patterns for the most part, at least in my little corner of the world.

I think it is foot step 1 and Sunday hunting will follow shortly . Opening has stood for 55 years and I can see why a lot of hunters are not happy maybe opening up Sunday hunting would ease the pain.

I agree with most here that it will benefit some and others it won't. At the end of the day people do not have to hunt Saturday, just use Monday as your opener. Where I hunt in north central PA the deer never even know it is opening day if you get away from the roads. Head over to the HuntingPA forum if you want to read the hysteria from this decision. I guess some people have a hard time adjusting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back