P_ham for the win

Should p_ham go full time to his own business?

• Yesterday

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Yes but wait cautiously

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Stay at the full time job and gunsmith on the side

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Absolutely I am sending my gun this week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heck yeah! I’m sending more than one gun

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
We need a support group for those of us that sit by our phones waiting for the next photo like a crack head waits their hit.

All of those that haven’t sent one in yet don’t get to be part of the group till you send your guns!

Seems like a major thing that bogs gunsmiths down a lot.. I always try to minimize communication to just the core details but it can burn a guy at times. Like when i wanted a SAAMI spec chamber and the smith told me his reamer was SAAMI so I didn't ask about the freebore.. And got a chamber with about 0.060" less than SAAMI freebore that resulted in factory ammo jammed too hard into the lands to be used.
On the plus side and if you hand load and use Absolute Hammers that issue isn't so much of an issue since the ogive supposedly never touches the throat. Don't know about other Hammer offerings. I've used the 6.5mm 123 AH.

We need a support group for those of us that sit by our phones waiting for the next photo like a crack head waits their hit.

All of those that haven’t sent one in yet don’t get to be part of the group till you send your guns!
He has one of mine. I am patient.

He's a great guy, a talented smith, and very smart. When its time for him to make the jump, he'll do it. Fortunately, his location really cuts down on folks dropping by, but it doesn't stop me from making the drive.

Remember too that unnecessary jaw jackin with customers takes away from smithing time. J D Jones at SSK used to mention this.
Seems like a major thing that bogs gunsmiths down a lot.. I always try to minimize communication to just the core details but it can burn a guy at times. Like when i wanted a SAAMI spec chamber and the smith told me his reamer was SAAMI so I didn't ask about the freebore.. And got a chamber with about 0.060" less than SAAMI freebore that resulted in factory ammo jammed too hard into the lands to be used.
Most of my work comes in from out of state. I feel awkward as hell on the phone so I like to keep to the point. I do have a couple local guys that like to come to the shop and hang out every now and then but they bring me a lot of work.

What if I already tore it apart?
I actually don't mind those. I make sure to document user induced damage before starting.

I gotta give the guy credit. He'll build anything you want and isn't afraid to tackle out of the norm projects. Communication is brisk , but to the point and his overall knowledge of firearms covers the whole gambit.
Thank you. It's crazy to me that smiths turn down work because it's challenging. I thought that was the point.

Thus the "systems in place" line.

Either @p_ham needs to price his work so that he can spend enough time on the phone with clients to get this info, or have a form clients fill out with relevant questions, or perhaps some other better solution.

It's really helpful when a tradesman not only knows what needs to be done, but why it needs to be done so. The other side of this is that the cost of that time on the phone or answering emails adds up quick.

For my brother and I in the remodeling industry, we try to spend a lot of time getting all the info we can, and the tradeoff is that we are quite expensive compared to the local average. This year our 3 man business will need to pay for 40-45 days of me not being on site ( at my desk working on quotes, meeting clients, etc.) to provide the level of service we want to provide. That's a lot of overhead to cover, but it appears our customers are happy to pay for it.

Probably a bit TLDR, but the bottom line is that good communication is not going to come with "reasonable" prices, at least not long term.
Good point. I need to factor in the paperwork side more.

Or, what if I buy the materials and let you install them?
A favorite of mine. 🙄

It is rare, very rare, but there are those whom you can play cards with over the phone...Paul's that guy. Succinct, conscientious, and fair works for me.
Definitely the kind of guy that I feel comfortable enough with to, at some point, send him a stack of cash and say “build me something cool” then end up with a rifle that will exceed all expectations.
Thanks guys. That means a lot.

I have one of these I am ready to send him. Thought it would make a good thread.
That old .22?

He's a great guy, a talented smith, and very smart. When its time for him to make the jump, he'll do it. Fortunately, his location really cuts down on folks dropping by, but it doesn't stop me from making the drive.
At least you call ahead!

One thing Kurt Racicot said one time was that he felt one of the big reasons Stone Glacier was successful was that he didn't hurry to make it his full time job. I think there was a lot of wisdom in that.

We see it all the time, excellent craftsmen go into business for themselves, get lots of work because they are good, and then get overloaded. Communication starts to suffer, and unfortunately sometimes being behind means quality starts to slip. Add the fact that that backlog sometimes gets sold at rates that really don't make a lot of money, and things get squirrelly in a hurry.

My advice would be,

-make sure you are actually making profit on your work after all expenses are covered and you are paid.

-know your costs extremely well.

-have systems in place to handle incoming interest and work.

-understand that communication with customers is what may make or break a small business.

Once all that is working going into business full time won't be an issue. I've worked for the public for about 10 years now and I wish I had followed the above advice from the start, as it would have saved me a lot of stress and put a lot more money in my pocket.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, if so, great! Im personally rooting for @p_ham .
I second ALL of this!
On a personal level I'd recommend going full Dave Ramsey (or similar) and going into this reasonably debt free and with 6 months or a year of bills paid money in savings. Hard to do but it's a goal not an exacting rule.
The goal of a small business ultimately is to have freedom from big company BS.
Well, being financially free allows a TON of freedom to chase occupational goals/dreams.

I'd rather see someone trudge through an extra year or two of their day job.to have a good chance of success at their dream than jumping in too soon.
Just don't forget about the dream.

I was thinking the other day that I was jonesing for some more p-ham build pics! Now I understand.... :unsure:

Sign me up, I've sent my gun in.

Yeah, I'm just glad (and sad) that p_ham lives on the other side of the country.
My savings account would be empty otherwise. ;)

You don't know about USPS? They are in those little white, red, and blue funny looking trucks, drive on the wrong side of the road, and have a little brick shop in most any town with an American flag out front. Check'em out!

Back