P_ham for the win

Should p_ham go full time to his own business?

• Yesterday

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Yes but wait cautiously

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Stay at the full time job and gunsmith on the side

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Absolutely I am sending my gun this week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heck yeah! I’m sending more than one gun

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

Dsnow9

So I want to start out by saying @p_ham did not endorse this thread and will take down if he requests…

This guy is doing amazing work as we have all seen! Let’s post up the work he has done so far for us and encourage everyone to send your guns. (And order the other cool artistic things)

The goal is to make him so busy that he has to go full time into the amazingly talented gunsmithing that we all get to admire.

Country custom metalsmithing, you won’t be disappointed!

One thing Kurt Racicot said one time was that he felt one of the big reasons Stone Glacier was successful was that he didn't hurry to make it his full time job. I think there was a lot of wisdom in that.

We see it all the time, excellent craftsmen go into business for themselves, get lots of work because they are good, and then get overloaded. Communication starts to suffer, and unfortunately sometimes being behind means quality starts to slip. Add the fact that that backlog sometimes gets sold at rates that really don't make a lot of money, and things get squirrelly in a hurry.

My advice would be,

-make sure you are actually making profit on your work after all expenses are covered and you are paid.

-know your costs extremely well.

-have systems in place to handle incoming interest and work.

-understand that communication with customers is what may make or break a small business.

Once all that is working going into business full time won't be an issue. I've worked for the public for about 10 years now and I wish I had followed the above advice from the start, as it would have saved me a lot of stress and put a lot more money in my pocket.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, if so, great! Im personally rooting for @p_ham .

So... When you get something with said weapon, are you going to announce, "got em with my prison pink"?

Oh-my-oh-my GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Was talking with a colleague a few weeks ago about a possible business venture I'm interested in and he had some good advice: "Are you buying a business or a job?"

The other great piece of advice I got 20 years or so ago was from a salty old Wyoming Fishing Guide: "Doing what you love as a job is a surefire way to find something else to love."

@p_ham's work is impeccable. Only he knows if it's worth the hassle of going pro, or staying in the pro-am circuit.

One thing Kurt Racicot said one time was that he felt one of the big reasons Stone Glacier was successful was that he didn't hurry to make it his full time job. I think there was a lot of wisdom in that.

We see it all the time, excellent craftsmen go into business for themselves, get lots of work because they are good, and then get overloaded. Communication starts to suffer, and unfortunately sometimes being behind means quality starts to slip. Add the fact that that backlog sometimes gets sold at rates that really don't make a lot of money, and things get squirrelly in a hurry.

My advice would be,

-make sure you are actually making profit on your work after all expenses are covered and you are paid.

-know your costs extremely well.

-have systems in place to handle incoming interest and work.

-understand that communication with customers is what may make or break a small business.

Once all that is working going into business full time won't be an issue. I've worked for the public for about 10 years now and I wish I had followed the above advice from the start, as it would have saved me a lot of stress and put a lot more money in my pocket.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, if so, great! Im personally rooting for @p_ham .
Great advice, I made the shift a year and a half ago into full time. It’s the best shift I ever made. But as you said, I had my bases covered and a client base built up.

Woah. I'd have guessed that machining or some kind of metalwork might've been a part of the current day job. Are you self-taught on that kind of wizardry?

Woah. I'd have guessed that machining or some kind of metalwork might've been a part of the current day job. Are you self-taught on that kind of wizardry?

I was a machinist/ welder for a number of years in the army and most of my jobs since then have been fabrication related.
The firearms side has been self taught interest based.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back