OYOA heads to Nevada - any bull will do

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This hunt will be a great hunt for a lot of reasons.

1. The hunter, Bernie, is a long-time friend who has been stricken with sever arthritis. The last two years I took him whitetail hunting, and we had a blast. Last spring, he was bemoaning that he had 12 elk points in Nevada, and with his knees and hips being what they are, he will never get to use those points.

I told Bernie to apply, and if he drew, I would help him with the logistics and coordination of the hunt, and see what we could find in Nevada. The only catch was that he would agree to let us film it. Done deal. Bernie applied, and drew his first choice.

2. Two of my best friends will be meeting us down their to share camp. NVLongbow, who graciously joins me on hunts, if I am withing 500 miles of his place, will be there. As will my former roommate, and the guy who introduced me to Longbow back in 1986, CC Campbell. Spending time with those guys will be a blast.

The truck is nearly packed and I am finishing replacing, repairing, or cleaning all the items abused on the last hunt. The camera guys will following Bernie and I to where ever it is that Longbow thinks will make a good camp.

Season opened yesterday, but for filming purposes, we couldn't leave until this weekend. Hopefully there will be a bull or two left, by the time we arrive.

Bernie is a very accomplished hunter. It is hard to see arthritis slow him down to this extent. His trophy room has one full grand slam of sheep, and 3/4 of another slam. He lived in Alaska and Wyoming before moving to Montana many years ago, and he has taken most every big game species you can think of, and many of some species.

When we hunted last year, it was all he could do to get to the stand and sit in a chair. He waited as I pushed deer past. He made an excellent shot on a nice buck and a doe.

Once he drew this elk tag, he pressed the docs and therapists for better treatment options. He has worked all summer and fall to improve his walking ability. He has been reloading and shooting all summer. Each week he mails me a new set of targets from his week at the range. If he gets within 300 yards of a bull, I think he will be punching a tag.

I will find great pleasure in this hunt. Taking a friend who had all but written off any future elk hunting, and seeing him be so excited has given me a lot of inspiration to not take for granted any possible hunting opportunities that come my way.

A chance to give back to a friend who has done a lot for hunting and a lot for his country is my treat.

I am hoping the bulls we find are within in his reach. If he shoots one and we give him the full treatment of packing and field dressing, he will protest. He did it for many others, as he took them hunting, so in spite comments I know will come my way, I will say, "Shut up and like it."

When I have been to these parts of Nevada, there is decent cell coverage, so I should be able to post daily updates, once we get organized and start hunting on Monday morning.

Wish Bernie luck. He is a great guy, and for him to get a great bull would be very deserving.

Fin, What area are you hunting? I guided in White Pine county years ago, maybe I could help out

Fin, What area are you hunting? I guided in White Pine county years ago, maybe I could help out

Shoer - I hunted elk in White Pine County in 2005. This hunt will be in Elko County, up in the far NE corner of the state.

Thanks for the offer. If you have any pointers for there, they are greatly appreciated.

Good luck to Bernie and crew!! If the unit makes it to the NV/ID/UT corner let me know. I may have some contact info that would greatly help out.

Good luck, sounds like Bernie is a pretty easy guy to root for.

Cheers and best of success to Bernie!

Good hunting guys - look forward to the review of your trek :)

We are rooting for Bernie and looking forward to the updates. Good luck Big Fin!

Has anyone heard anything?

Cornell any updates for us?

Anxiously waiting for some info BF.

I look forward to hearing updates too, been trying for an 081 tag for years now. (I don't know if that is the unit their in)

Randy;
Here wishing you an belated birthday, Knowing you and Bernie are going to get the big one!
Just feel it , No one will try harder,just waiting to hear!!!!
Larry

Guys:

Sorry for the lack of posts. I thought we would be closer to Jackpot, and would have coverage, but the elk were way out in the middle of nowhere, so I had no coverage. Result = no posts.

I will post the day by day account tomorrow.

We saw 22 branch antlered bulls, with two of them being whoppers. One is the biggest bull I have seen since my early AZ rifle tag in 2005, and at that, the second biggest elk I have ever seen alive. And unfortunately for Bernie, and fortunately for anyone who draws a tag next year, is still alive. And considering where this bull lives, I doubt he will get shot in the remainder of the season.

Too tired to write and epic document tonight, so will paste the story tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest.

Day One

It was a long drive. Not so much the 500 miles of highway, but the 55 miles of dirt and dust. By the time we arrived and set up camp the previous day, it was time for a night of rest.

The first hours of the morning were spent trying to find a few places that might not have a lot of hunters, and hopefully a few elk. Given how big the unit is, finding a place without hunters was not that difficult. The big part was whether or not we would find any elk in those places.

The biggest highlight of the morning was finding a big 6X6 muley buck rutting his does. He was oblivious to our presence, and as any of you who have watched rutting mule deer know, it is fun to just sit and watch the activity.

By mid-morning, we had worked our way back to the ridges that had burned the year before. The amount of green re-growth coming up on the south slopes was amazing. The amount of elk sign was equally impressive. I did glass a big group of elk moving through the mosaic patches of pinion and cedars. In the group was a 5X5, and the rest being spikes or cows/calves. Being the first day, Bernie was content to let them pass.

The remainder of the day was spent learning the area we had chosen from our pre-hunt research. No more elk were spotted, but the number of quality mule deer was more than I ever imagined. Given it was the peak of the rut, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

I felt pretty good about what we had seen for the first day. When you don't have a couple days to scout, you end up having to make your first hunting day as much scouting as it is hunting.

Didn't have much time to be taking pictures, as I was almost in continuous pursuit of elk, scouting, or glassing. So excuse the lack if pics with this hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back