Owyhee early archery Deer

Spyder Turbo

Was wondering if anybody had some tips for unit 40 early archery hunt (Aug. 15- Sept. 30)

I have been scouting there 3 times and have only seen 4 deer. Haven't seen a lot of sign either. I have been spending most of my time on South Mountain.

I will probably hunt only in August, then go for elk in a different unit in September.

There sure is some good looking country, but it seems the deer are few and far between.

Welcome to the site!

I talked to a IDFG officer while hunting an adjacent unit 3 years ago and he said that drought conditions are impacting deer in the Owyhees. The drought has only worsened since then. I haven't hunted 40 enough to suggest spots, but water availability will probably be a big factor.

The officers and biologists in the IDFG Nampa office have been very helpful when I have had questions about the Owyhee units in the past.

Good luck.

That's a good tag I've seen a lot of nice deer pulled out of that unit I envy you because I put in on the same tag but no luck I'll talk to a buddy of mine who has killed some nice bucks out of there see if he'll offer anything up welcome to the site!

Thanks for responding. I'll continue to scout.

Nice of you to respond to my first post, and thanks for the welcome.

Mud flat, Juniper station, Antelope ridge, Bachmen grade area's. That's what I got from him good luck he also said get up high as you can and spend as much time behind the glass as you can hope that helps!

The deer haven't been doing all that well down there. Was out last weekend scouting for when I do draw that tag someday and saw 3 bucks. Lots of time behind the glass and being there early is key. At first glimpse of daylight those fellas are headed for cover.good luck.

interesting opinions, I was scouting along mud flat this past weekend and saw plenty of deer, glassing is a good thing down there, there are deer there, they just are not in every spot that looks good, you have too cover country in that unit, don't check the same spots every morning, and cover some ground with both a vehicle and your optics, there really easy too spot right now, and congrats on the tag, I hunt down there almost every year for either 2 points or antelope with the bow, I like how people that have never set foot in a unit draw it than ask for help from the guys that spend time down there but can't draw the tag for reason's unknown, also South Mountain area is one of the best spot's for deer in that unit, must be on the wrong side, some newbie advice North and west slopes in the morning and east slopes in the evening, on second thought don't waste your time in the evening you won't see much, be glassing in the dark in the morning, the deer stay out till about 8:30 a.m., if you need more info than that I might as well shoot the deer for you too..................................
Matt

I have a couple buddys who have that tag this year and both have found some bombers! The key is to be glassing the first hour of light and last hour of light. The big bucks are generally in their beds by the time the sun hits the ground they are working. If you still aren't finding them and you feel you have glassed the country, move on to another location. I'd say find water and focus your scouting within a mile of different water holes.

interesting opinions, I was scouting along mud flat this past weekend and saw plenty of deer, glassing is a good thing down there, there are deer there, they just are not in every spot that looks good, you have too cover country in that unit, don't check the same spots every morning, and cover some ground with both a vehicle and your optics, there really easy too spot right now, and congrats on the tag, I hunt down there almost every year for either 2 points or antelope with the bow, I like how people that have never set foot in a unit draw it than ask for help from the guys that spend time down there but can't draw the tag for reason's unknown, also South Mountain area is one of the best spot's for deer in that unit, must be on the wrong side, some newbie advice North and west slopes in the morning and east slopes in the evening, on second thought don't waste your time in the evening you won't see much, be glassing in the dark in the morning, the deer stay out till about 8:30 a.m., if you need more info than that I might as well shoot the deer for you too..................................
Matt

nice!

I also have that tag this year. I've been out twice and have seen 18 different bucks. 3 that I would consider shooters. Like everyone said, right at daylight is the time to spot them. After that they are beaded and you'll have a tough time finding them. Good luck with your tag, hope you kill a big one.

if you need more info than that I might as well shoot the deer for you too..................................
Matt

Really...you just had to say this?? :confused:

Spyder...congrats on a decent tag. The Owyhees are one of my favorite places to be. I've had the neighboring tag a couple of times. As stated, optics are your friend. IMHO the August part of the hunt is generally a little better than in September. Deer seem less spooky. It is HOT!!! But don't let that get you down, glass really hard into the shaded areas, especially below the big rocks and below the low canopy cover.

Good luck!!

I really appreciate the advice. Yes I am a newbie and of course new to the unit. I do feel fortunate that I am getting tips.

I have been glassing the evenings. That will change now.

I have found plenty of water where I am looking, so that part is covered.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I agree on glassing mornings. Especially during the summer heat, I find mornings are much more productive. If you get an overcast morning, those are really good.

Really like Hoyts. I usually get a new bow every year, but this Spyder Turbo has me hooked on it. Oh, and thanks for checking with your buddy and reporting on some areas to check out.

I'm a Hoyt guy myself and no problem hopefully they produce some bucks for ya keep us updated on the scouting and into the hunt!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back