Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Outdoors Career

Davetats51

Hey everyone this may be a bit out in left field for a hunting forum, but would anyone recommend a job/career path that they love as an outdoorsman? I’m a recent college grad with a criminal justice degree and at least for the moment find myself not wanting to be a police officer or a lawyer. So if possible could you guys name some jobs or careers that you have found to be a good fit for someone who loves that outdoors!

I know this post may be a bit vague but hopefully I can get some ideas!

Check out this thread from last year.

BLM Ranger.

Border Patrol if you were in the right unit and sector could be good.

Land surveying isn’t bad.

Most outdoor jobs seem to require a Conservation/biology degree or a whole lot of luck. Without going back to school I would say your options are pretty limited. Like others have said I would also suggest looking at the warden jobs or ranger jobs for BLM/forest service. I had an uncle who was a game warden, he loved his job, the downside was he never got to hunt much because he was always running, that and most people seemed to hate him LOL! He did spend quite a lot of time though running around the rivers and lakes and a boat.

I’ve got no idea for sure if there are enforcement components Here but there may be some jobs available in the regulatory departments that might could use your skill set maybe. EPA, DEQ etc. I had some DEQ agents come poking around a job site asking me very pointed questions once that looked like law enforcers to me! (that’s another story and no I did not get in any trouble!)

I work for state fish and wildlife agency raising salmon and steelhead in a fish hatchery. It's always allowed us to live in rural communities where there are not a lot of other job options. It's a job with a lot of challenges and I can say I've enjoyed going to work most days! Never going to get rich and you have to deal with government BS but if you like working outside and you like fish there are opportunities almost everywhere. I had to get a fisheries degree to qualify and that could be an issue but I bet at least some states or agencies would use your criminal justice degree.

I was a Warden for 36 years. It is difficult to find much time to hunt or fish where you are posted. However, my wife and I researched places to go before, and after the busiest times in my patrol area. October through mid December were crazy hours. So, some things we would do : September Saskatchewan waterfowl, late season elk (New Mexico, Utah), winter caribou in James Bay (now closed), whitetail hunting in late December in the south. We enjoy walleye fishing. We would drive to northern Quebec (still do) in mid summer as I was too busy during April-June when it was best at home.

I was a Park Ranger after working in construction for many years. Lots of warden/LEO buddies too.
NM has many openings with G&F and there is always lots with BLM. The legal/LEO degree is a foot in the door for many other jobs.
Know of 2 local wardens who are after their Biologist degrees for promotion options and they do get to hunt once in a while...

I started working on ranches in Oregon as a kid. Moved into the Timber industry during college. Killed a lot of deer and elk while working, but missed out on a lot of opportunities too. Working in the mountains, impending bad weather, you have to get the work done and hunting seasons seem to conflict. In 90 I moved into law enforcement. Averaged 500 hours of O/T a year. Took most of that as comp. started guiding part time in Alaska ( fishing) and Oregon (upland) plus hunting/ fishing on my own, often hunting elk and deer in two sometimes three states. The only guys I knew who had more time to hunt and fish were fire fighters.
The deal with being a LEO is you need to maximize your comp time. Getting a day / half off for every day extra you work adds up pretty quick.
with comp time/ vacation time I spent a month in Alaska, two weeks deer hunting and two to three weeks elk hunting a year.
I retired at 55, ( full retirement) spent the last 8 years guiding all season in Alaska, go right into deer hunting when I get home, then elk. Also 50 to 60 days upland bird hunting. F... Obama and Holder. 99 percent of the guys and gals wearing a shield do the job right. There is nothing more noble you can do with your life then “The Job” done well.

Thanks everyone! Some good ideas so far. I currently live on the east coast so I will have to expand my search area a little more west.

One that's very flexible and pays well.

Self employed if you really want to hunt and fish. You still get yours 50 hours in, but it's on your own terms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back