MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

out of state advice

huntergirl_19

Hey ladies,

I've got tags out of state and I was planning to hunt the late season (early Jan). Unfortunately it's looking like I'll be hunting by myself- I've done this before, but usually on small parcels within an hour of home where I'm very comfortable. Luckily (I think?) the department of wildlife contacted me with a landowner's information so I might end up hunting private land. My questions are as follows:

1) How do you go about planning a solo hunt farther from home? What extra preparation do you do?

2) Have you hunted property owned by someone you don't know? What etiquette should i be aware of?

Edit to add: I have 2 deer doe tags and a pronghorn doe tag in SW Nebraska. I'll be traveling from Denver, about 3hrs away. The weather hasn't been too bad, but if major storms are forecast I will definitely change my plans. I am not planning to camp, I'll find a hotel, I don't have the gear for cold weather camping.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lots of things to consider and a lot depends on what you are hunting, where, expected weather, and if you plan on setting up a camp or not.
What are your main concerns?
Amongst this crowd I bet there are people who spend countless hours planning every small detail and others that just throw a pack in the truck and wing it.

You don’t say where you are and that is a huge factor into my planning, especially if there is the potential for serious cold or bad weather.

If I have sub-zero weather or snow potential, I’m making sure I have what I need to self rescue or shelter in place…extra insulated bibs, hats, blankets, fuel, fire supplies. Tarps, tire chains, shovels, tools, extra water and food. Even if I’m planning on coming out each night, that goes in the truck. My mentality would be the same under different conditions, though the gear might change in other weather or environments.

Means of completely extracting an animal on my own- depending on what I’m hunting that might be a pack frame, or a sled if there’s snow.

As far as hunting property owned by people I don’t know, I do it all the time. Basic private land etiquette applies. Leave gates how you found them. Don’t drive where you aren’t supposed to. Don’t block gates and roads. Don’t hunt around the livestock, or buildings, or anywhere they asked you not to. Follow whatever other directions/requests the landowner has made. Stop and say hi.

I always like to get their phone number and ask if they want to be texted on what I am doing. I always assume better for them to tell me they didn’t need all that info rather than question.

Ex) the gate on the north side of the property is open and you said they should all be closed. I closed it but just wanted to give you a heads up. If I need to go back and open it let me know.

Ex2) moving from area one to two for the afternoon hunt

Lots of things to consider and a lot depends on what you are hunting, where, expected weather, and if you plan on setting up a camp or not.
What are your main concerns?
Amongst this crowd I bet there are people who spend countless hours planning every small detail and others that just throw a pack in the truck and wing it.
Edited my post to add relevant info.

I guess my main concern is I feel so overwhelmed by the planning of it all. Like I am worried that what I know/ have done in the past is somehow not enough preparation to travel and hunt and that I am missing something.

You don’t say where you are and that is a huge factor into my planning, especially if there is the potential for serious cold or bad weather.

If I have sub-zero weather or snow potential, I’m making sure I have what I need to self rescue or shelter in place…extra insulated bibs, hats, blankets, fuel, fire supplies. Tarps, tire chains, shovels, tools, extra water and food. Even if I’m planning on coming out each night, that goes in the truck. My mentality would be the same under different conditions, though the gear might change in other weather or environments.

Means of completely extracting an animal on my own- depending on what I’m hunting that might be a pack frame, or a sled if there’s snow.

As far as hunting property owned by people I don’t know, I do it all the time. Basic private land etiquette applies. Leave gates how you found them. Don’t drive where you aren’t supposed to. Don’t block gates and roads. Don’t hunt around the livestock, or buildings, or anywhere they asked you not to. Follow whatever other directions/requests the landowner has made. Stop and say hi.
Hey thank you, this is great advice. I generally keep a lot of this stuff in my car in winter anyway, so just adding a few more things that you've mentioned will round out my gear needs I think. I've got a game cart that I'll bring, so I can def get an animal to my car and field dress it on my own.

Also I edited the post with relevant info.

Edited my post to add relevant info.

I guess my main concern is I feel so overwhelmed by the planning of it all. Like I am worried that what I know/ have done in the past is somehow not enough preparation to travel and hunt and that I am missing something.
Been on an out of state trip? Nothing different.

Been hunting? Nothing different…

Now just mash them together.

Pen pineapple apple pen…

Hey thank you, this is great advice. I generally keep a lot of this stuff in my car in winter anyway, so just adding a few more things that you've mentioned will round out my gear needs I think. I've got a game cart that I'll bring, so I can def get an animal to my car and field dress it on my own.

Also I edited the post with relevant info.
Ok, so given the new info I guess my mentality is it’s basically a day trip you would do from home, but “home” is a hotel.

Absolute worst case scenario…three hours from home isn’t far if something went horribly wrong. Which is unlikely.

I don’t think things are going to be as different as you are worried about. You have extraction handled. You have solo hunting handled. I’m betting you have hunted new-to-you country before. So really, nothing new there. Sounds like maybe the private land element is new, but be respectful of their property and things should be fine. If the landowner is willing to host hunters and have their name handed out by the wildlife agency, I would bet they would be very willing to answer any questions you might have about what to do/not to do.

I think you got this. Sounds like a good first on-your-own, out-of-state experience. Just have fun!

Being only a few hours from home helps! Plan for the best but prepare for the worst! Bring plenty of warm gear. Assuming you have a 4wd, have ways to get yourself out of a snow drift. Like hilljack said, you know your limits. Just go out and get after it! Hunting solo is fun, because you make each decision without anyone's influence but your own. Hunt as hard as you want, or take it easy! Hang out in the hotel if there's a nasty weather day. It's fun having the sole say in what happens.

Your biggest fear right now is fear of the unknown. You will be fine. Do you know how to eat a mastadon? One bite at a time! Same with this trip, take it one bite at a time and make some memories. Oh, and take lots of pictures to share with your friends at Hunt Talk!

Nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared for the unknown. A couple things to consider
  • Game laws vary-review regs, especially for differences in tagging requirements, proof of sex, CWD and meat transport
  • Have a plan for meat care, processing and transport home
  • If sleeping in a hotel, do not leave rifle or valuables in vehicle overnight or in room while out for day
  • Have some cash, not everywhere takes plastic
  • Full tank of fuel every time you leave town if gas station are few-carry car battery jump box
  • Enjoy the adventure and report back to us

You probably already are on top of it, but here are the things that would cross my mind to help make me feel prepared.
  • Make sure your vehicle is in good shape before you go. Oil changes, windshield wipers replaced, tires rotated, and any other maintenance and/or winterization is done and good to go.
  • Organize and pack any recovery gear you think you might need. Tow strap, tire chains, jumper cables, shovel, sleeping bag, water, food, crank weather radio, etc.
  • Research the area for grocery stores, mechanic/tire shop, and hospital before leaving for the trip. I had a hard time finding dry ice on a trip once, so now I call local places ahead of time.
  • Double check hunting regs
  • Organize and walk through (How do I plan on using this?) all hunting hunting gear I plan on bringing and using.
  • Are there any luxury hunting items I might not need, but want to bring and leave at the truck? The situation might be different than you expect, and it might be good to have it. ( trail cameras, bipod, pop up blind, or anything like that.)
  • Check first aid equipment/ medicine dates etc.
  • Make sure my weapon is zeroed and good to go.
  • Make sure I have sufficient ammo. I had a buddy only bring 5 bullets, and missed one deer with three shots. He had to hike back out 6 miles, drive an hour and a half into town, buy bullets, and check his zero at the range. He wasted a full day of hunting.
  • Call the land owner (if you can) - I've only hunted on other land owner's property like this here in TX, so I don't know how this goes out of state.
    • How would he/she like you to treat their property. Any special rules they would like you to follow? Would they like for you to communicate with them your plans on when you'll be on property? As mentioned above, leave gates as you found it, don't drive through any fields, and if there isn't a road or path stay to the edge of fields or fence lines. Don't make mud holes. I tend to stop and walk if there is a chance I might tear up a dirt/mud road. Report any fences down, cows out or anything like that. Don't shoot towards any buildings or livestock. I'm sure you know all of this.
    • Have they seen any animal movement, or any hunting suggestions?
    • Will other people be hunting the property as well?
    • I always try to give them a small thank you gift. Usually some baked goods or a gift card to a local restaurant if possible. This has gone a long way for me.
  • Escout and develop multiple game plans if possible
  • Think through multiple hunting/weather scenarios, and how you might have to change your hunting style to fit them. Do you have what you need to do it?
  • Make sure you have a plan to get meat out of the field, and how you plan on getting it home. I know a guy that forgot his cooler and had to have a local processor ship his meat back. Walmart does sell coolers though haha.
  • Plan your meals and snacks for the road trip and during the hunt. Pack a special treat or something. We have a 6 mile pack out that can be brutal, so I keep a few of my favorite beers cold at the truck waiting on me. They are always glorious.
  • Make sure you are physically ready.
  • Practice dry firing or shooting your bow to stay ready.
  • Make a kick ass playlist for your music and/or podcasts
  • Make a rough draft of your instagram caption for when you post pictures of your trip. Gotta do it for the gram!!! Just kidding!!
Good luck!!!

TexAg09 has given you a really good check list. I would suggest entering a couple phone numbers into your phone : The local Game Warden, the County Sheriff Office, and the nearest State Police Office. I have been doing these types of hunts for years... solo from a motel or cabin. I really enjoy hunting like this. Have a good plan for what you will do with an animal after it's down. This time of year with the colder temps, that becomes easier. I generally bone out deer, pack the meat in cloth meat bags, then set the bags on top of ice bags in a cooler. I put another layer of plastic under the meat bags so they don't get wet.

A face to face meeting with the landowner would be best if possible. an OnX mapping type app on your phone is very valuable if you have service where you are going.

Have fun and keep us posted !!

I forgot to mention if you are getting a good vibe from the landowner and you feel like it might be ok then ask if they have any other property that might be open to hunt or if they know any other land owner's who give permission to hunt. It never hurts to have multiple options, and the worst they can tell you is no. If they do tell you no then don't press the issue. (Might seem obvious, but you'd be surprised.)

You need to have a check in contact every night. Someone who knows exactly where you're going the next day and you call them when you return. I am the worst for violating this hunt alone rule ... and I'm hunting 30 hours from home for six weeks at a time. Been making the same mistake for over fifty years. You'd think I'd learn. Bad habit. Some day I'll pay the piper. Be better than me.

Also, you are a lady traveling alone. I suggest staying in those orange hunting duds as much as possible. Advertise the fact that you have a gun and know how to use it!

I was hunting out west and hadn't checked in with anyone for a week. I was recently divorced and it didn't seem important. Well, one of the daughters got all worried and convinced the ex to call in a missing persons report. I had got to the top of a mountain and made a call to said daughter. She informed me that there was a search party out looking for me. I immediately called the local sheriff and reported in safe and sound, apologizing for the unneeded effort people were putting in on my behalf. They had only been at the search for an hour so that lucky I had called then. I learned a few things in this. Call people more than you think you should so they don't get all wound up. People do not really listen to what you are saying. Write it down so they can reference it later. Upon thinking I was in peril, they called my ex-brother in law as they figured he knew where I was hunting at. I had talked to him about hunting this area and the success I was having. He had the search team looking 100 miles away. I just try to call more often now. I hope you do well and enjoy your hunt. Remember to be careful and think things through.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back