Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Out of Africa

DeerKing

The trip to Africa was amazing and I have to admit it far exceeded all my expectations. Most of the critters were not of trophy caliber but were all I was hoping for.... good representatives of each species and I was very happy with the outcome. We had a rocky beginning and the trip was in serious jeopardy of not happening, almost assured it would not at one point. Seems us boneheads were 24 hours late getting to the airport due to not reading the flight schedule properly. Can’t believe we all read it the same way several times (the wrong way) but we did (more to it than that but I won’t go in to it). Couldn’t get on a flight that night we were late either, they were completely booked for several weeks. Long story short our travel agent returned my panicked call the next morning saying 3 people had just cancelled their flight leaving that night so she booked us in their spots. Really just a stoke of good fortune them fine people cancelled otherwise I’d be bitchin’ about all the money we just blew but with no one to blame but ourselves. (Thanks Debbie at Custom Travel!!). The hunting portion of our trip was now cut short by 2 days, from 8 down to 6 days. Because of that I elected not to bring the muzzleloader. Kind of a downer but I figured there was a lot more to the trip than just hunting, and there was. After the hunt we spent 3 days in a few different cities taking in the sights, sounds and culture. Amazing places with some very interesting people. All in all it was the best vacation I’ve had and I know I will be going back, the place gets in your blood. The hunts themselves were much tougher than anticipated. You read about these canned type hunts in South Africa and I was not thrilled about that type of hunt, although I was not apposed to it. Truth be known we did hunt the impala on a 1200 acre high fenced place and that hunt was not much of a challenge, although still fairly exciting. Most of the other hunts were conducted on a 250,000 acre conservancy that was surrounded only by a 3 foot high goat fencing where game could come and go freely. I’m not a math major but I’m pretty sure 250,000 acres is pretty big , more area than most of us hunt for deer and elk. The idea of hunting free roaming game was one of the biggest draws to that hunt and the place was not a disappointment.

Only mishap of the whole hunt happened sometime after shooting the gemsbok in the morning I banged up my scope really bad. Not sure when exactly it happened. That evening I had a monster Eastern Cape Kudu (53 inches give or take and inch) standing at 265 yards and missed badly. Obviously I didn’t sleep well that night but was ready to go for impala in the morning. I chalked the miss up to kudu jitters. Two missed standing shots at impala less than 200 yards had me checking my 30-06. Thats when I saw the nasty gash in the front of the scope. Upon shooting at a 2 foot box at 100 yards and not connecting had me shelving the gun and switching to my brothers backup gun, a 270 Weatherby Magnum. It would later prove to be a good move. Day 5 of the hunt was coming to and end with the sun about 1 hour before going down and still no Kudu to show for the efforts. Thats when one of my tracker/skinners spotted a big kudu way up at the top of the hill... 491 yards of safety between us, giving us the eye. As luck would have it my PH was well versed in 270 ballistics and my brother had done lots of 400+ yard shooting and knew within and inch of where the bullet would hit at 500 yards. Between the 2 they both agreed I needed to shoot 8 inches above the back to hit him in the vitals. After finding a dead steady rest and making sure there was no wind I felt very confident I’d make a lethal shot. At the recoil I lost sight of the bull. I looked over at the trackers and they were jumping up and down yelling and laughing... which I took as a good thing. One of them gave me the hand flopping sideway signal and saying “dead bull, very dead”. Amazingly he dropped in his tracks. Thats a memory I will remember the rest of my life. After 3 hard days of hunting for kudu I finally had the trophy I had come for.

Anyway, like I said the trip was amazing in all aspects and I look forward to the time I make another trip back. I absolutely hate flying but sometimes you got to make the sacrifice to do the things you love to do. A few pics of the trip are attached, hope you enjoy.

Since this friggen site will only let me post a few photos you might have to look somewhere else to see the rest. C'mon Moosie what gives with limiting the photos being posted :(

They encourage you to shoot these critters whenever you can...
BaboonDead.jpg

He looks alive but he is very dead...
Sprinbokcomp.jpg

KuduDoe.jpg

A very good specimen...
KuduFeed.jpg

Used the .375 on this dangerous game. Can never have enough gun :)
ImpalaMe.jpg

ElephEye.jpg

My wife deserves credit for this one. She spotted it coming around a bluff and the hunt was on...
GemsbokWife.jpg

Bushbuckcomp.jpg

The main reason I went to Africa, the trackers did much more than I did to deserve him and thought they should be displayed prominently in the photo.
KuduCompgood.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the peak into Africa.

DK- I know I already said this on that other "inferior" site..haha..but loved the editing on the photo's..Great story...Awesome adventure...great animals...

Sorry to hear that the trip cost so much your considering renting your wife out..haha;)

May the taxidermist not stick it to you too bad...hump:p

Hey Deerking, for starters absolutely stunning pictures, thanks for sharing. Some of that post production stuff you did looks flat out proffessional.

Second, if you want to post more pics, just make more posts on this thread. That's what we do.

DK, We basically have that 10 picture option because some people put 200 smiling faces up in every post .... like ---->> ;) :p :wank:

Besides all that..... I'm still in AWE from the pictures you posted !!! Maybe in a couple years we'll be in some african pictures together ...

ZebraWaterbuck.jpg

Mojave
I am a professional graphic designer but try not to spread that around. Thanks for the nice words boys...

Here are a few live critters. I took 225 pics but I won't post that many :)
Warthogs.jpg

KuduPeak.jpg

KuduNarrow.jpg

EleWalk.jpg

Sunset on the last night...
Sunset.jpg

Congrats on your hunt DK, and awesome photoshop work.

These are major awsome pics and a great story to boot...

I like the way you did some of the back grounds...

Thanks for putting these up they are definatly a treat... :D

Cool pictures. I've heard the trackers are something else. Did you take notes? I'd like to take a crash course from some of them little dudes. I bet for $10 they would have spent a week training you.

That has to be the best I've seen, I love the pictures, and it is starting to make a believer out of me of Africa. very nice. thanks

Awesome pics DK but only 225 pics?? I thought you'd burn through 1 or 2 one gig cards. You did go with quality instead of quantity that's for sure.

Once again great pictures!

I love the one with the waterbuck and the zebra... With a little luck (and the ok from the boss of course) I may be taking one of them if we see one...

To bad SCI doesn't score baboons. :D One less for the total "score"...

BTW what'd ya shoot him with? I'm thinking about bringing some "baboon bullets"... :) Ya think a 120 gr vmax would work? :D

I did want to ask why the baboons were had an open season on them???

To thick, to much competition, or just because they are supposed to have such a bad disposition?

Great Story and pics!!!!!!

and a nice bushbuck! those babies run like a rabbit dont they!

You must realise right about now when you are thinking about the big sky and the smell of that campfire that you are hooked, (it doesent go away)

Those trackers are some huntin SOB's, they dont even need good optics.

Very Cool story and a fine long last shot

Elkchsr
The area we hunted had some domesitc sheep and goats. The big bands of baboons kill a lot of these animals. We had a couple killed during our hunt there and they actually like you to shoot the baboons. Tons of little grey monkeys to. Kind of neat to see them all sunning themselves in the morning. Would have been fun to have an AR along.

Any caliber will work on baboon but the bigger the better :) A .375 should work nicely.

JB
Yeah them little bushbuck are quick and darty. That one wasn't quick or darty enough :)

The trackers have an amazing ability to see game. We'd be driving into an area and they'd spot a kudu or some other critter more than a mile away standing in thick brush without binocs. I'd have a hard enough time seeing them with good optics.

Jeff,
Wow man! Those pics are amazing. Man that looks like a great time. Sounds like you should have taken my .340 huh! haha. Thats good that you used your brothers rifle, I'll be without your muzz and then your .06 goes belly up you were probably a little bumbed till you zapped that Kudu. Great stories and pics. I hope to hear more. Take care and Thanks again

Thanks DK...

I have seen a little bit on some of the learning channels of what you are saying, but they are a little biased towards primates of any form usually and don't show the evils some of them inflict on their environment...

That answered my question fully... Thanks... :)

Russ...

Freakin' W-O-W!! Great photos Jeff...Africa is getting higher and higher on my "to-do" list! ...anyone wanna buy a few kids??

Back