Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Our Elk Hunt

buckykm1

I hunted Montana with a new partner this year, and we were both kind of in the same boat trying to find someone decent that wanted to Elk hunt every year. we hit it off Great, one of the best hunting partners that I have ever hunted with. and we are already planning next years trip.
we got out there on Monday before the season opened, spent Tuesday thru Friday scouting, and didn't even see one Elk in my favorite spot. but good sign.
opening morning I sat in one of my favorite spots in that area, and Steve sat up on a higher meadow with lots of sign.
at about 8:15 I spotted a nice Bull sneaking thru the timber at 176 yds. I put the cross hairs right on the base of his neck, and my new Tikka T3 lite 30-06 did its job, folded him up right in his tracks.
I sent Steve a text to let him know that I had one down. and he came over, and we started getting it quartered and then back to camp. ( this is my biggest Bull so far, a 6 x6 I think about 300" ?. )
Day 2 it was raining hard early and very windy, and we almost didn't go out, but the rain stopped so we headed out, 10 minutes after legal light we spot a Bull laying down about the same time he saw us, but he only ran about 100 yds, not knowing what we were I guess ?, Steve pulled up and put 1 in his shoulder and he went about 100 yds. and went down. A nice 5 x 5 Steve's biggest so far. then the work began again.
we let them cool put mine in the freezer, and then his the next day after his cooled, got them caped and got the capes in the freezer too, the freezer was stuffed full.
after that we just chilled and did some scouting, while our meat got nice and cold.
and started home Wednesday morning.
the first time that we have ever been able to bring home 2 Elk.
it was a totally Awesome trip, and we can't wait for next year.
IMG_1061.jpgIMG_1042.jpgIMG_1048.jpg

Kevin

Kevin, that is a great bull. Congrats to you and Steve. BTW thanks for the help with the trailer ideas. It has been working out great.

You camp setup has a place for everything, and everything is in its place. Congratulations of finding a like minded pardner, and on your successful harvests.

7FE65BCB-CCA0-4D7E-85BC-5E07A54D0B0D.jpg

Thank you, glad that your new rig worked out too.
How did your hunt go ?

Kevin

It turned out great, I got this 5x4 on the 4th day and was able to fill my mule deer tag with some freezer meat as well. Found some nice dead heads and overall am very great full for the experience and the HT crowds help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back