Otc Colorado units 82,83,62,and 65

My advise pick one unit research it hard, have several options there, hunt hard don't get discouraged, have fun.

Reactions: JAG
Just remember a very true phrase regarding elk hunting. "Elk are where you find them". Plan on covering ground. Lots of ground. Move fast to find fresh sign then slow down. You'll never out walk or out run an elk. If you do cross fresh sign try to determine the direction they are heading. Then try to get ahead of them with the wind in your favor. I know this sounds basic but I run into hunters every year (I've been hunting elk for 34 years) who believe they can just follow their tracks and catch up. It'll never happen. Good luck!

I hunt elk all year round. First with my camera, then my bow, then my rifle, and then my camera again. Enjoy the experience. I agree with Deerhunter6250. Pick a single unit and hunt smart!

83 is almost 100% private, might want to scratch that one off your list unless you have an in with one of the huge ranches.

Edit: you also might want to look at the hunter numbers in those units, as aluded to above. You picked 3 of the most hunted units in the state. 83 doesn't count because it's private.
I've seen some other threads about private property in the otc units. Is this common in all the otc units or just some. How bad does in affect the units

I've seen some other threads about private property in the otc units. Is this common in all the otc units or just some. How bad does in affect the units
Private land is very common in all Colorado units. Especially those that hold a good population of elk. These elk have learned to take advantage of the private land due to the water that is usually located on these private land tracts.

I have access to both public and private land. During all hunting seasons I regularly cross my private land fence and find hunters camped out on the other side of my fence which is public land. We have several ponds and the elk and deer do use these regularly. However, they use these at night which my cameras prove.

I have killed many more elk on the nearby public land than I have ever killed on private land. Why? In the fall our growing season ends about the 3rd week of August at 9200 feet. Grass stops growing and the aspen leaves get ready to change. At the same time these elk herds start building. They eat a lot of food. They usually wipe out our private land grasses by the end of September. This is approximately 1500 acres. They soon have no choice but to head onto the public land for food while often spending the midday back on our private land due to water access. Bulls will often push their cows onto the public land for feeding and to keep them away from other herd bulls.

Bottom line is find water and feeding areas. These are both limited in most of Colorado. Keep covering ground until you find fresh sign. In "wet" years I see elk rotating through areas on a 4-5 day cycle. Just like open range cattle. In dry years, which this year appears to be, that cycle goes to 6-8 days. I truthfully hunt and hope to bust some elk. Then I know that I'm in the right area. Unless you're hunting right next to a trailhead or active ATV trail most elk you "bust" will only go a few ridges away. Now that you found some you should be alert for more. Don't be surprised if you hunt hard for 4 days and see nothing and then fall into them on the 5th day. This happens a lot more often than what you see in YouTube videos.

You can find a place to hunt in any OTC unit, but be ready to move on to the next mark on your map when other people are already in that spot.

We hunted OTC In 2019 . Never saw an elk the 5 days. Watched too much youtube and thought theyd be answering our bugles all day. The guy above with food and water is spot on . We found fresh sign the first day but left cause we didnt hear bugles in the 24 hours we hunted that area. Never saw any the next few days. Live and learn .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back