Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Otc Colorado units 82,83,62,and 65

Andrewlonghi

Hey guys. September will be me and my brother's first elk experience. We've all been doing a lot of research and scrolling over old threads and gathering all the info we can. The units we are considering are 82,83,62,and 65, now September is still a ways off and I'm sure we will change are minds several times between now and then. What can we expect as far as the terrain goes and interactions with people?

Anywhere in CO you are going to run into a lot of people. Once you get in the backcountry folks spread out, but every trail head will likely be packed and make you want to puke. Don’t get discouraged, there are some remote parts of those unit where you be able to escape the crowds.

there's a pretty wild difference in terrain and vegetation between those units, not that you couldn't hunt them all in a two-week trip...
I'd decide on what kind of terrain you want to hunt and what your preferred style of hunting is (calling, sitting water, spot and stalk), and how fit you think you are, and start with the unit that best fits that, as wllm1313 says, you won't be alone at the trailhead but it's not that hard to get away from people, it's easy to find very steep or very thick in those units...
if it's your first go I'd try to have as much time available as possible and plan on moving pretty quickly if you are not finding elk, or if you aren't enjoying the style of hunting as much as you thought you would...

there's a pretty wild difference in terrain and vegetation between those units, not that you couldn't hunt them all in a two-week trip...
I'd decide on what kind of terrain you want to hunt and what your preferred style of hunting is (calling, sitting water, spot and stalk), and how fit you think you are, and start with the unit that best fits that, as wllm1313 says, you won't be alone at the trailhead but it's not that hard to get away from people, it's easy to find very steep or very thick in those units...
if it's your first go I'd try to have as much time available as possible and plan on moving pretty quickly if you are not finding elk, or if you aren't enjoying the style of hunting as much as you thought you would...
I'm sure we will try a little of calling sitting water holes and spot and stalk. We will be there for 17days so are plan is to 2-3 days in each unit unless we are on elk. Definitely going to be a learning experience for a first time hunt.

83 is almost 100% private, might want to scratch that one off your list unless you have an in with one of the huge ranches.

Edit: you also might want to look at the hunter numbers in those units, as aluded to above. You picked 3 of the most hunted units in the state. 83 doesn't count because it's private.

83 is almost 100% private, might want to scratch that one off your list unless you have an in with one of the huge ranches.

Edit: you also might want to look at the hunter numbers in those units, as aluded to above. You picked 3 of the most hunted units in the state. 83 doesn't count because it's private.
ONLY 1741 people hunted archery in 62 last year. What doesn’t sound desirable about that? 🤣

Where can I find hunter numbers from last year?. All I have for reference is the OTC units for 2022

Where can I find hunter numbers from last year?. All I have for reference is the OTC units for 2022
@DouglasR beat me to it... I wouldn't take the hunter numbers as gospel for crowding, there's a lot that goes into that, as to the above example 62 has a huge number of hunters, it's also for the most part very thick, and largely uninterrupted public land, it may feel less crowded than an open country hunt with 1/4 the hunters unit wide, or a unit with very low numbers but access issues...

I’ve never heard anyone on here say an OTC unit isn’t crowded. @wllm1313 said it best, don’t get overwhelmed by the numbers at the trailheads.

I have friends that hunted units last year that you mentioned and never once did they complain about overcrowding. They went into it with the expectation of having to get away from other hunters and did just that and had a successful trip.

I’ve never heard anyone on here say an OTC unit isn’t crowded. @wllm1313 said it best, don’t get overwhelmed by the numbers at the trailheads.

I have friends that hunted units last year that you mentioned and never once did they complain about overcrowding. They went into it with the expectation of having to get away from other hunters and did just that and had a successful trip.
Thank you for the info...I didn't have any info on hunter numbers until yesterday so didn't know what to expect. I hunt public land all over Florida so interactions with people won't discourage me or my brothers. Just like here we entend to get far back and away from people best we can .

I've spent just a little time in 62 & 65. We road camped and they would come down and bugle at night on private. There can some access issues issue as the low areas are private some BLM. When I was there there were a fair amount of hikers or mountain bikers in particular 65. The trails that go to a lake seems to be the busiest. If I went back I would probably focus more on the north west end of 62 mostly because I didn't get do explore it but I think you would have more room there to get away form people. I saw more sign and heard more elk in 65 but I was unsuccessful in both. As far as terrain they are different 65 is probably a little more challenging but looks more like what I think of as elk country but what do I know!. I should add I there in September Archery saw quiet a few hunters not crazy though.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back