MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

otc bighorn in Mt

skimerhorn

Saw where MT is gonna have some otc bighorn tags to kill a herd with pneumonia? $125 for residents and $750 for non resident. Not a bad thing to keep a eye out for!

I bought an OTC bighorn tag this year, but not for that unit. Odds of killing a ram are probably about the same. :)

I live 30 min from this unit. Im not getting a tag, so take it for what its worth. Im not trying to discourage anyone. Just trying to inform. Theres not many sheep, its very easy access and FWPs phone is ringing off the hook with people looking for info i.e there will be a ton of people. Theres only a few rams total in this unit. A BIG ram in this unit is maybe 165 might be 2 of this calibre in there. There are people scouting it already (lol). LOTS of local Dillon hunters talking about going.

I predict its a zoo. I hope participants have fun. I think FWP is going to make bank on this. Good idea, not thrilled with the way they are doing a free for all. Some lucky hunters will get a sheep and a few really lucky ones will get a ram.

Oh boy....if one thinks elk brings out the worse in people, wait until 2 different parties camp out on the same ram waiting for the clock to strike legal shooting time.
Either they'll end up in a fist fight, or someone will shoot a tad early and try to get a leg up on the competition.
Either way, since FWP is creating this mess, I hope they will have law enforcement there in full force to keep people's wits about them.
Good luck to whomever chooses to throw themselves into the madness!

If unlimited hunters can access this unit for Day 1 of the hunt then will be lots of opportunities for people to show their worst behavior. Stress brings out behavior that is otherwise usually muted. I can see the youtube videos created by some wacky group implying this is how hunters behave on every hunt. Whatever $1000s F&G raises will harm hunting in general 1000 fold. There should be a lottery system with the normal Res/Non-Res split. Award numbers then call the lowest number issues for Res/Non-Res to get 10 tags. A tag is good for 36 hours. Then send in 10 more hunters if there are 10 animals left. 36 hours. If at that point 4 animals left then send in just 4 hunters.

Didn't put in for it. And they are not killing off the entire population in HD270. There is reason they are doing it in the Tendoys and not in the East Fork.

Been in on killing sick sheep and its not pretty.

Last edited:
Didn't put in for it. And they are not killing off the entire population in HD270. There is reason they are doing it in the Tendoys and not in the East Fork.

Been in on killing sick sheep and its not pretty.

I may be talking out of my ass, but I was under the impression they were killing these sheep because of their lack of ability to reproduce due to recurring pneumonia bouts, not because they are experiencing a current die-off.

And I wasn't saying you had put in for 270, just asking if you would not hunt a limited unit if it had recently dealt with disease.

Last edited:
I may be talking out of my ass, but I was under the impression they were killing these sheep because of their lack of ability to reproduce due to recurring pneumonia bouts, not because they are experiencing a current die-off.

And I wasn't saying you had put in for 270, just asking if you would not hunt a limited unit if it had recently dealt with disease.

As you know post die off is different then during and pre die off.

Hell maybe I don't know whats going on in the Tendoys.

Sounds like the makings of a circus though.

Last edited:
As you know post die off is different then during and pre die off.

Hell maybe I don't know whats going on in the Tendoys.

Sounds like the makings of a circus though.

It's a bummer of a situation for sure, and I'd have a hard time getting excited about killing one as well.

Are the sheep lower in elevation like near roads or will hunters actually have to pack in to hunt?. Do you guys who know this area predict an opening morning massacre? Crazy Idea sounds like.

These arent sick coughing sheep.

I see them in the road or drinking from the creek fairly regular. The 10 or so rams left are spread out thru the higher country unless they are on the creek next to the road. Most of the "sheep country" is truck/atv/utv accessable. Some areas will require some hiking. If your looking at a ram opening day thru your scope you probaly have a good chance of either getting it or watching someone shoot it.

Theres been LOTS of interest in this

Last edited:
My neighbors aren't exactly hard-core hunters. They hunt maybe 7 or 8 days a season, but they are all geared up for this. I'll stay home and read about it later. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back