Oscar jumps ship

You do get what you pay for and that holds true for backpacks too. You guys should upgrade. :D

Kifaru's Gun Bearer can't be beat IMO. Rifle is available instantly. I can shoulder the rifle faster out of the Gun Bearer than slung over a shoulder.

Their packs are good stuff.

T-Bone.. I agree and have a gun-bearer from Kifaru. I've had it for about 5 years. Broke the top part, they sent me a new one, no questions. Both those packs Kifaru and Eberle are good.. I've seen them in use. But they are not the best.

If you have the money and the time to wait for a custom pack (if they will do it for you), the best ones are built in the town I live in. Mystery Ranch. They are without question the top of the line backpacks.

T Bone said:
Kifaru's Gun Bearer can't be beat IMO.

That's not what I heard from MtMiller. What did you think, 1_pointer? I'm in the market right now...

Oak

Greenhorn,

I've been looking at Mystery Ranch. What do you think of the military packs? If you were buying one today, would you get one of the military packs or a G-pack?

I'm going to get up there to look at them in person sometime in the next few months.

Oak

That's not what I heard from MtMiller. What did you think, 1_pointer?
Actually when Tyler learned the proper way to use it, it worked very well from what he said. Sorry Tyler, spilling the beans again. :D

The military packs are typically based on the G-pack or the Deluxe. There's also that other frame where you attach the bag. Definately, for that kind of money, you will want to see them, try them on, etc.. before buying. You can get a G-pack in camo. You should visit them if you are around. Talk to Andrew, he's great help.

I love the Gunbearer for sneaking around and the rifle is instantly handy and comes out quietly. I had my rifle in the Gunbearer when I first saw my sitka at about 50yds and was able to get it out and shoulder it without him being any the wiser. Also, I just discovered on my recent trip that the bottom of the Gunbearer can be moved off of the belt and to the side of the pack. Then just run the rifle under the compression straps, tighten, and it's out of the way for serious packing or covering lots of ground. So far, I'm extremely happy with my Kifaru Longhunter Guide, though I'd love to get my hands on Mystery Ranch to see what their like. But, after spending the $$ on a Kifaru, I'm not sure my wife will cozy up to the idea of buying another pack...at least for a few years.

Greenhorn- Have you used the Kifaru? And if so, where does the Kifaru fall short of the Mystery Ranch? Just curious as I haven't been in contact with anyone who's had much experience with both the Kifaru and Mystery Ranch products.

Those Dana knockoffs or nice! Dana made the best packs until they sold out. I like the way the material blends in; that nice Montana camo pattern also makes them real nice and quite I am sure. On the other hand, there seems to be a lack of hunting features. Does not make them bad, I'm sure they are the bomb for mountaineering and backpacking. Do they have a rifle scabbard? Does it flop around? Can you access it without taking off the pack? When you walk through the brush, does it sound like your wearing a nylon ski outfit? LOL

Take care, Finalshot

Mystery Ranch isn't a Dana knockoff. Dana Gleason (founder of Dana Design) is the guy behind Mystery Ranch. I believe he sold DD to K2 and those products turned to crap once they went overseas and under different owership. Mystery Ranch is the new and improved DD.

Hunting features? :rolleyes: That butt-scabbard is gay. Slap a Kifaru Gunbearer on it. Also, if you want quiet material, buy a fleece fanny pack, but don't plan on it to be tougher than nails.

A friend emailed me some pictures of some stuff he whacked in BC this year. He uses the best equipment money can buy, hunting is his life. Guess what kind of backpack his is using to pack here? Note, it's not an Eberlestock..

When you pack a candy bar, rifle and waterbottle around for a day, you don't need to spend $700 on a backpack. If you are spending multiple days packing 75-150 lbs around in the mountains, this is the kind of stuff you want.

To heck with the pack.......that's some fine looking headgear strapped to it........

Those are some great photos. I don’t think the eberlestock was ever designed to compete with a full-fledged mountaineering pack. I did not know this was the "Dana" behind Dana packs. I too was less than impressed with what K2 did to the packs. I thought dana were the best, before they sold. These are likely the best now, if this guy is the man behind dana. This pack is likely the best on the market for that type of packing. I'd own one. Thanks for the post green. I still think for the type of hunting that I most often do, the Eberestock is the best. Just like there's not one single gun for every situation, there's not one single pack for every situation.

Finalshot

You're right that Eberlstock isn't $700. It's only $200. But why spend the extra $500 when the Just one does everything you need ? It's one thing if you have the Money like Brian and need something that takes 300 Hunting days a Year pounding (Not that the Just one Couldn't) but for a Great pack that fits the Average Hunter, You can't beat it, No matter what you or your Dildo toatin' buddies use.

I've been thinking of buying a Just One for my kid, but don't want him to outgrow it or wear it out before he starts 1st grade. :D He wants to know if he can sit down without removing his 33-378 Weatherby Magnum from that scabbard thingy.

You gonna get it for him in his matching jammy cammo? ;)

Greeny- don't forget the swing out pocket for the duck food....

Man, that moose rack load looks HEEEEEAAAAAAAVVVVYYYYYYYY!! Sweet Pic!

I thought the tyke would be packing a 416 Rem mag Greenhorn? Are you trying to keep him soft?

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back