Caribou Gear Tarp

OR Rifle Deer Hunt Recap

elkrchr

My wife and I drew Starkey Experimental Forest rifle deer tags this year. Another friend of ours also drew the tag and camped with us. My son prepared his "good luck" card for us as he does for every hunt and after a four and a half hour drive from Portland, a beautiful sunset awaited us.

Deer were very scarce during the hunt as the temperatures reached the mid 70's and the deer were locked down in the pine/larch thickets where it seemed only a chipmunk could find its' way through. Elk however were extremely abundant. It reminded me of being in Yellowstone Nat'l Park. The season opened on Saturday, Oct. 3rd and by the 4th another camp a few miles away from us had found the humor in the lack of buck sightings and posted a "reward" sign which we thought was hilarious.

It was a great family outing shared with a couple of friends and abundant wildlife sightings (with the exception of deer!) helped us maintain our focus. My son shot a ruffed grouse with his .410, found the pelvis from an elk and was a trooper as we covered mile after mile of beautiful country devoid of deer. We saw four bears (no shot opportunities) and two great grey owls.

After opening day, my son's shadow puppet buck was the only buck sighted. Enjoy the photos of our adventure as I prepare for my upcoming sitka blacktail deer hunt on Kodiak Island.

Attachments

• SEF 5.jpg
    SEF 5.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 462
  • SEF 4.jpg
    SEF 4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 465
  • SEF 2.jpg
    SEF 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 468
  • SEF 7.jpg
    SEF 7.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 460
  • SEF 6.jpg
    SEF 6.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 464
  • SEF 8.jpg
    SEF 8.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 466
  • SEF 1.jpg
    SEF 1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 473
  • SEF 3.jpg
    SEF 3.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 469
  • SEF 9.jpg
    SEF 9.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 468
  • SEF 10.jpg
    SEF 10.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 470
  • SEF 12.jpg
    SEF 12.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 464
  • SEF 13.jpg
    SEF 13.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 466
  • SEF 11.jpg
    SEF 11.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 459
  • SEF 14.jpg
    SEF 14.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 463
I have been on a few hiking and camping trips in Oregon while holding a tag. Have not been hunting there in a few years. Nice pictures. Gook luck on the upcoming hunt.

I hunted elk in there once and deer were not plentiful. Hope it didn't cost you many points!

Cool pictures and great family time at any rate! Oregon is really good for that. ;)

Great pictures. Sounds like some good family time.

We just got back from hunting the Ukiah unit. Similar experience to yours. Saw tons of elk and very few deer.

Great attitude and wonderful family adventure. I hope your covered up in bucks on the island like I was in 2007. Good huntin'

Looks like your family had a great time. I've been on many hunts where a camping trip broke out and everyone had a great time.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back