Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Optimum magnification range on scope for elk rifle?

4-32, 5-25, whatever, covers it all. If I need less than 4 I’m probably gonna be using a bow.

Unless you have shot 1000 yards do not profess having no problem. Many talk of long range shooting fewer actually do. The mark of a hunter is getting as close as he can to ensure a killing shot.
Want to meet at the range and shoot with me???

I wouldn't hunt that far, never have. Practicing at further ranges makes lesser shots easier. Same reason I practice out to 80-90 yards with my bow... Never going to shoot an animal that far, but it helps fine tune your abilities.

Higher power for spotting and lower power for shooting if you have the time and the critter doesn't know that you're there. Just make sure that it shoots as good at 6X as it does at 18X or 24X.

What is a good rule of thumb to use for magnification vs distance when hunting (i.e. how much of the sight picture should the animal take up in your scope)?

In general for whitetail hunting I have cranked the magnification up to the 9x max on my scope for just about any shot where I had time to take, or left it on 3x for quick shots. I've been able to see how good the quality of my hits were with the naked eye after shots on whitetail (generally not shooting more than 100 yd with shotgun sabots).

But with elk hunting at 300 yards and in a big herd, I am not sure where the balance might be between highest magnification to get a precise aiming location or judge a hit versus lower magnification to see the whole scene better and possibly track the animal as it moves in the herd after a shot.

Any preferences on the sweet spot for how large an elk is in your sight picture?

When I was shopping for optics a HuntTalk I got a comment about higher magnification being useful at the range. I hadn't thought about it and it was a good point. One to consider.

Last edited:
I use a 3-15×44 Leupold. I leave it on low power until I'm setting up a shot, then let circumstances determine how far to crank the power ring. Most of my shots were under 200 yds and scope was somewhere in the middle of the power range.. Have only had one case for max magnification. shot at 540 yds , prone, scope at max magnification, to put down a wounded elk that had been gutshot. If I pay attention to my body position and get square behind the gun ( not always possible in elk terrain)I have seen hits through the scope from as close as 60 yds out to 540 using 300 win mag.

I have a VX-5 3-15x44 on one rifle and a Vortex 4-12x40 on the other. Both live on 5x, but I do appreciate having the higher magnification to pick out steel plates at 400+ at the range. Even 5x was a bit of a liability once trying to get the scope on a buck in a moving herd of deer, so I definitely wouldn't keep it higher. And I've never had the chance to adjust the scope on an elk hunt, but that might be the mixed timber terrain I typically elk hunt in. My experience has been that once you spot them within shooting range, things happen pretty quick or they don't happen at all.

I have a VX-6HD on both my 308 and 7mm Rem Mag (3-18x). I keep them at 3x while moving and only crank it up when I am setting up on a shot. Last deer taken (308) was at 320 yds, and I dialed up to 9x. Last elk (7mm) was at 181 yds but the shooting window was really small through several layers of Aspen stands so I dialed up to 15x so I could place the shot precisely. It just depends on the situation .....

I think I just brought home my last rifle, maybe not! it's my old mod 700, was a 243 and now it's a 260 Rem. Has a 2-7x Redfield/Leupold on it. Seem's to work real well so far. Then again I restrict my shooting big game to under 300yds and normally under 250 yds and 2-7x works just great!

I have a VX5 HD (Impact 29 reticle) on my 7mm Rem mag, but have bought four VX5 HDs with the Impact 29 reticle this year to sit on my .30-06, and a new BLR in .300 Win Mag, a New BAR in .300 win Mag, and a used BAR in .338 Win Mag. Gotta get out to the range to sight them all in. I really like that Impact29 reticle. I sight my 7mm rifle in for 100 yards then once I sit down I move the elevation knob to the 200 yard setting. So I'm covered out to 300 yards. I wish they still made the VX6 with the Impact 29 reticle. It is so easy to mentally adjust for windage in the scope.

The temp and humidity have been so hot down here the past 3 weeks that the feel temp has reached as much as 121 degrees (temp at 97-100 and 82% humidity). It gets to be so overwhelming. It feels like being in an oven even if I'm in my pool with a frozen margarita LOLOLOL. And I have no-seeum mesh that cuts the sun exposure by 40-50%.

3-9.

Scopes are for shooting. Binos are for checking things out.

A 2-10 or 2-12 if the money's there to buy a nice scope. If on a tighter budget I agree a 2.5-8 or 3-9 or 4-12 is great. I myself lean towards a little lower power scopes, nowadays I lean towards higher zoom ratios with a low end. I have a 5-20 nikon Monarch I bought when I was 18 that is horrible to hunt with, 5 is way too high of a bottom end. Its a big pita trying to find animals in it if they are close, and you dont always get to pick when theyll be close or not. I'd think a 4 times zoom range (3-12) would be findable and affordable. Either way 12x zoom is enough to hit a whitetail at 900 yards, I mean its enough zoom to accurately see the target and place the reticle, not saying I'm shooting that far. I just don't see a need for higher than 12x on an elk sized animal

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back