Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Optimum magnification range on scope for elk rifle?

The majority of my elk were killed with a 2-7x scope. I did upgrade to a 3.5-10x though. Doubtful I'd go over 4x on the low side...

My reasoning was I wanted a 40 mm Objective to fit in a saddle scabbard easily.

dedicated elk rifle?

i have a dedicated elk, deer, pronghorn rifle. it has a 3-9. successful one shot kills ranging from 30 yards to 430.

"3-9ish or 4-16ish. I leave it on 6x when I’m still hunting. I may or may not remember to turn it up for a longer shot. I killed a deer last year at 405 yards on 6x."

"JLS" hit it spot on!!!

Right now my 2 "dedicated" elk rifles, my .300 wby and 7 mm Rem mag, both wear Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scopes. Depending on the terrrain, I leave them set at 6x or lower.

In my 50 years of elk hunting, most elk were shot with 3-9x40 scopes and again with the power set somewhere on the low end. I've also shot elk with iron sights and no sights (a recurve bow).

I practice shooting every week at targets over 400 yards, but I think my longest kill has been under 350 yards.

You usually have more time to turn up your scope power for a long shot than you would have to turn down the power for a short shot.

Received my Athlon ares 2.5-15x50 recently. Great glass and definitely a great zoom range. I can just see the tip of my barrel on 2.5 and will have no problem shooting steel at 1k yards.

I shoot a 2-10x42. This level of magnification is fine out to ~850 yds or so (not at animals, only targets). Most guys are wayyyy over magnified. A good rule of thumb for max magnification is divide your max distance you will be shooting by 8 or so (some use 10).

I shoot a 2-10x42. This level of magnification is fine out to ~850 yds or so (not at animals, only targets). Most guys are wayyyy over magnified. A good rule of thumb for max magnification is divide your max distance you will be shooting by 8 or so (some use 10).
So 300 divided by 8 = 37.5??

I used either the 2 3/4x Redfield or the 4x Redfield widefield scopes for years and they worked plenty well enough. harder for me to find fixed power today other than what I already have so I have wondered into variable power. Started with 3-9x's and found them normally on the lowest power. I've never shot at a big game animal at over 3x!. My favorite today is still fixed power scopes and picked up a used Weaver K4 several years ago but have found my favorite variable's to be 2-7x. Smaller and lighter than other scopes that have power's on them I never use. With the 2-7 and 3-9's I use 6x for sighting in and load developement. Makes shooting at a small target easier. For my fixed power scopes I make my own targets so I use larger aiming points with them. Also my aining points are diamond's and the corner's are good for lining up the crosswires.

Forgot to mention, my lasr elk rifle, don't hunt them anymore, is that old 2 3/4x Denver Redfield I got back in the early 1970's for my elk rifle then, 338 Win Mag!

Anything under 31.4 is too little. JK, it is a personal preference. For me, I really like the VX5 HD 3-15. That works for about every situation. Believe it or not, I have had more shots missed by having too much magnification for really close shots.

Maybe one of these:

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot Twilight Hunter 30MM 180627
VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623
VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368

I like them all, but I'm partial to CDS, 30mm tubes and side-focus. I'm impressed with FireDot and I like the VX-3HD 3.5-10. A lot. It is a nice scope. Higher magnification might prove to be an advantage for western hunting - ELK, Muleys, etc. But many use the the 3.5-10 successfully and prefer it.

The VX-5HD with FireDot has better glass. But it weighs more, is bigger and it is also significantly more expensive. Budget and money were an issue in my decision. Still, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these scopes. It comes down to your preferences. I bought one of each of the FireDots listed.

Good luck with your decision!

I used either the 2 3/4x Redfield or the 4x Redfield widefield scopes for years and they worked plenty well enough. harder for me to find fixed power today other than what I already have so I have wondered into variable power. Started with 3-9x's and found them normally on the lowest power. I've never shot at a big game animal at over 3x!. My favorite today is still fixed power scopes and picked up a used Weaver K4 several years ago but have found my favorite variable's to be 2-7x. Smaller and lighter than other scopes that have power's on them I never use. With the 2-7 and 3-9's I use 6x for sighting in and load developement. Makes shooting at a small target easier. For my fixed power scopes I make my own targets so I use larger aiming points with them. Also my aining points are diamond's and the corner's are good for lining up the crosswires.

Forgot to mention, my lasr elk rifle, don't hunt them anymore, is that old 2 3/4x Denver Redfield I got back in the early 1970's for my elk rifle then, 338 Win Mag!
I really value all my old low power scopes. 2.5,3,4 and even my 6x. All are weavers and most have been restored by "Iron Sight"
That said while my stalking skill usually permits closet shots, since I hunt both open and closed country not having a variable is a huge disadvantage.

So my rules with variable scopes are as follows.

Only low mounts and that is with a scope cap on the front. Most 3-9's work. Next and this tricky. I must be able to get sharp crosshairs W/O my glasses. I am now 75 and my eyes are aging.

Lastly my scoped rifle must go in and out of my custom saddle scabbard with ease and not be tight on the scope.

2-7 and 2.5-8 work best.

3-9 or 3-12. I would wager more animals have been lost as a result of too much magnification rather than not enough.
I was guiding two Swedish hunters with some considerable experience, before we headed into the mountains they checked their zero n all good but unknown to me the one who was having the first shot on a bull tahr didn't return the setting of his scope to a more suitable power. When we got set up in a howling wind blowing towards the herd he mucked around so damn long that they moved around the creek bend, we hurriedly ran upstream and got set up again and slowly they got beyond two hundred mtrs, did I say it was blowing, We'd estimated that his 6.5 would be blown off course by 14 inches at two hundred. Again the bull got beyond range and that's when the penny dropped, he'd been looking thru a 20 power.
My pick is 3 to 12 n leave the thing on 3 at all times until things become clear.

I like the 3x15, 4x16 and 3x18 ranges. I always leave it low and then dial some juice as need and stability dictate. I choose not to shoot at animals over 400m but do sometimes target shoot out beyond 600. I have a Seekins PH2 in 6.5 coming (I am chomping at the bit) and I have settled on a Swarovski Z5i BT in the 3.5x18x44. I believe anything 3x9 and above is plenty and would be concern more about the quality and clarity of the glass, eye relief etc.

I like the 3x15, 4x16 and 3x18 ranges. I always leave it low and then dial some juice as need and stability dictate. I choose not to shoot at animals over 400m but do sometimes target shoot out beyond 600. I have a Seekins PH2 in 6.5 coming (I am chomping at the bit) and I have settled on a Swarovski Z5i BT in the 3.5x18x44. I believe anything 3x9 and above is plenty and would be concern more about the quality and clarity of the glass, eye relief etc.
Nice setup Sarge!

I think 3-9 is good for everything. Have the same setup on my Coyote rifles and even on the prairie it almost always stay on 5x. In the bush I turn it down to 3x

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back