Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Optimum magnification range on scope for elk rifle?

samuel_284Win

Both of my parents have a Weatherby rifle in 300 Win Mag and both rifles need a scope. In your expert opinion, what is the "sweet spot" magnification range that you prefer for your dedicated elk rifles? Would like to hear your specific scope setups too if you have found a solid setup for larger caliber rifles. We don't still hunt through thick timber so scopes with ultra low magnification stops are not really needed.

3X - anything. I have found over the years that a lower low end is way more useful than a higher high end. I don't even like using my 4.5-14 anymore after getting into the Leupold HD lineup with the 3X low end.

My buddy insisted on a 6-24 for his first elk hunt. He missed an opportunity because even at 6X, he couldn't tell for sure which animal he had in his scope

3-9 is very comfortable and s plenty for inside 300yds, 4.5-14 is the upper end.
I've been really eyeing up the Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50. Seems like the optimal zoom for a hunting rifle out to as far as you'd want to shoot.

I've been really eyeing up the Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50. Seems like the optimal zoom for a hunting rifle out to as far as you'd want to shoot.

It's an anvil unless one hunts from a bike.
I've found the best money for bang to be a vixen,
Either the 3-12x40 or the 4-16x44 which has the parallex on side. Both under a pound and way shorter than the modern trend. I've used a 2-7 on wallabys out to 328 yards and they are no comparison in size to a wapiti

Keep in mind the more magnification, the higher the scope will sit above the receiver. Then it may take a bit too long to find the crosshairs. For forty years my 30-06 wore a 3x Weaver and I could be on an animal in it in a split second. I moved up to a 3x9 Nikon a few years ago. Now I'm using "low" Warne QD (quick detach) rings that are slightly higher than the "medium" Weaver rings that were formerly on it. I notice the difference. In my opinion, for field hunting it's best not to have a real tight cheek weld to find the crosshairs ... or a real loose one. Just be on the gun comfortably without having to hunt for the crosshairs. This can be important if shooting long distance where parallax becomes an issue. A loose cheek weld can be a problem then. And a scrunched cheek weld can make fast shooting difficult. Go for the middle of the road.

Long distance shooting is for the experts. A lot of guys (like my brother) think because they have a magnum rifle with a fancy high power scope, they should be able to shoot animals in the next zip code. There's more to it than just the equipment!.

My 3x9 usually sits on 5x. I will turn it up at the range or to study an animal in the field. If I'm tracking something in heavy cover or close quarters, it's turned down to 3x or comes off and I pop up the iron sights.

Last edited:
You don’t need much power to make hits. I’ve upped my power for judging antlers after shooting the wrong muledeer with a fixed 6X. Judging a muledeer and picking the correct one out of a group at 300+ yards can be difficult without quite a bit of glass. Elk on the other hand have bigger antlers. On top of that, a mediocre elk is less likely to disappoint than a mediocre mule deer(at least for me). Even more on top of that, I’m more likely to hunt an elk in the thick than I am going I hunt a deer in the thick.

2.5-10
3-9
4-12
4.5-14
5-20

All of the above should be quite serviceable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back