Optics Question

Hatchie Dawg

Planning my first elk hunt for CO next fall. I plan to hunt and live out of a pack for a week or so.

In such a senario do most carry binocs and say a compact spotter or just the binos?

Thanks in advance for the help.

HD

HD,

I have only gone elk hunting once. Like you are planning on doing, I lived out of my pack for about 2 weeks. We went several miles into a wilderness area by foot. We did bring binoculars but never really used them. I won't be bringing them on the next trip. I'm sure that other areas are different, and binos or a spotting scope may be of good use if you can see more of the country and look it over. It was just pretty thick where I was at, and it didn't help me to have binos.
I imagine it will make a difference whether you go rifle or archery and how picky you plan on being. Personally, I went with archery, and I would've taken probably any legal bull for my first one, so I didn't have to worry about sizing them up before going after them. Also, my pack got pretty heavy, so I am trying to eliminate anything that I don't absolutely need for the next trip. If you are like me, you probably don't need them, but I know a lot of people do like them and use them often.

I guess I should add, it will be a 3rd rifle hunt and I would be tickled with any legal bull.

Thanks again
HD

If you don't care about judging an elk just finding one, than you could probably get away with just the bino's. No way I would go to CO or anywhere else without mine.

Other than my weapon of choice, I think binos are the last thing I would leave at camp.

You can get by without a spotter if you're not already used to having it with you.
I've got a cheap spotter only, and don't bother packing it with me most the time. Once I upgrade to better glass I'm sure it'll be in my pack more.

I've gone elk hunting without my spotter, regretted it about 1/2 the time (the 1/2 I saw elk far away!). Wouldn't even consider going without bino's.

If your hunting out of your pack and not looking for a trophy bull, you should be just fine with bino's. I'd take the spotter if there are any antler restrictions. The lighter the better.

I suspected this to be the general consensus. My lack for need of binos was no doubt the result of not being in the right area and lack of experience in looking for game out west. Listen to the experts here and BRING the binos :)

I try to always have both. ALWAYS have the binos. The few times I've gone without the spotter, I've regretted it. Just my opinion.

Binos are my second pair of eyes. Never leave them behind and always take time to do a scan with them when topping a ridge or coming to an open meadow before stepping out after first looking over with your eyes. You will be surprised how many times you will see something with binos that your eyes did not pick out. A spotter is nice to have but they are heavy and take up pack space so it is a give and take and it all depends on the terrain and the kind of hunt you are on. If you dont care about what size the elk is maybe you can leave the spotter behind. If this is one of your first few elk trips you will probably have not learned completely what you can leave behind and it is always a dillema.

I think an archery elk hunt is really going to only require a pair of 8-10x binos. The scopes are for judging animals. Youll want to pack lite and there isnt much need for a heavy 60x spotting scope at archery range. Youll know a good bull when he screams at you!

I never go out in the field without my binos and the spotting scope is always at camp in case I find a new area where it would come in handy!

Thanks for the help huys.

I've got 8x Steiners and am looking at the 15x30 Leupold Compact spotter, at 21 ounces I believe.

HD

Back