Opening Morning Monster 5x6

ismith

Ok, so maybe not size wise, but wow did this bull have a rough life. He had a healed over bullet wound on this right hind leg that resulted in a club foot and atrophy in that hindquarter. Then when I was peeling back the skin on his left side I found a softball sized absess/pus ball that exploded over the rib meat I was trying to remove. The smell was unbelievable! He probally couldnt get out of the way of another bull fast enough last month.
Openingdaybull3.jpg

Openingdaybull2.jpg

Openingdaybull.jpg

Congrats, Ismith.

I think you did this guy a favor. He has a funny looking rack, still with velvet. Wonder if that is related to the injuries. I would offer to pack out that one hind quarter for you. With that amount of atrophy, it looks like if you deboned it, you could fit it in a lunch pail.

Congrats on the bull. I thought I shot the smallest 5-point ever a couple of years ago, but you may have me beat! ;) Was the rest of the meat ok?

Looks like some form of Mauser, still in it's military configuration. Smitty, you need to give us mil-surp nuts a better look at it.

Congratulations on the bull !!!!!!

Shes a 1903 Mark I that I upgraded with a like new WW2 replacement C-stock and a in the wrap 1944 dated High Standard replacement barrel. Technically she would be a 1903A1 with the stock. Shes a joy to shoot and handles well. :D

436-1.jpg

Congrats, Ismith.

I think you did this guy a favor. He has a funny looking rack, still with velvet. Wonder if that is related to the injuries. I would offer to pack out that one hind quarter for you. With that amount of atrophy, it looks like if you deboned it, you could fit it in a lunch pail.

He wasnt using that leg at all by the looks of it. Didnt get much off of that quarter and it was lighter colored. Should be tender though! I remember reading somewhere that if a deer(or elk) is injured the antler on the opposite side will likely be deformend or funky looking. I was going to pack out the 3 good quarters bone in, but after finding that pus pocket I decided to bone him out.

Congrats on the bull. I thought I shot the smallest 5-point ever a couple of years ago, but you may have me beat! ;) Was the rest of the meat ok?

Thanks! This bull is the smallest 6 point ive ever seen. Meat should be ok to eat, not sure how it will be flavor wise, but if all else fails my wife can can it. Canning works great on rutting mule deer.

Congrats. I'm impressed that you're using a rifle with open sights. Don't see that very often.

How do you know the foot was a healed over bullet wound and not a break?

I've taken a few animals with abcess/puss in/on the meat. I cut it out as best I could and washed the bad areas. The rest of the meat was fine. The moose I shot this year had a bunch of puss pockets on him and hair missing in areas. So far I haven't tasted any diffrence in the meat.

Congrats. I'm impressed that you're using a rifle with open sights. Don't see that very often.

How do you know the foot was a healed over bullet wound and not a break?

I've taken a few animals with abcess/puss in/on the meat. I cut it out as best I could and washed the bad areas. The rest of the meat was fine. The moose I shot this year had a bunch of puss pockets on him and hair missing in areas. So far I haven't tasted any diffrence in the meat.

I guess it could have been a break but there were healed up holes. If it was a break it healed up pretty straight. Tried some of the meat from that quarter tonight and it looks and tastes like pork. :eek:

Love shootin them ol springfields,and those replacement barrels seem to shoot pretty good.Yours looks really good.Nice job.

Back