Opening day of grouse, and Gretta's first real hunt!

Idaho Ron

Today was Gretta's first day of real hunting. Jacob ( my son) and I went up the hill about 9:00 am. The wind was still and the hunting was tough for a puppy. She flat ran into the first bunch of birds. When they flushed one of them landed back down and she pointed (picture 1 )
fb36b284.jpg

I got this bird and I noticed another running about 50 yards to my left. After gretta retrieved the first one we headed for the second. Gretta scent pointed this bird and he flushed as I walked up on him. One shot from my 20 ga and number two was in the bag. We walked a little farther up the hill when I heard gretta's bell go quiet. I hurried over to her but I heard a flush before I got there. Her bell was still quiet so I
knew she had not busted them up. I got there and she had about ten birds walking around in front of her about 30 yards out, and she was on point. I flushed the birds and got a double. At that point I was done, and we had only been hunting for 45 minutes. The last two pictures were of me and gretta after the hunt. Ron
fb36b27b.jpg

fb36b27f.jpg

Sounds (and looks) like the pup did a great job. Obviously you have a great backyard to hunt.

My monitor is pretty poor, what kind of grouse did you bag?

Make sure you keep us updated with the progress (and photos) of Gretta throughout the season.

Congrats on Gretta's and your success, Ron! Great looking country there.

Oak

Mt, the grouse we got were blues. I got pretty lucky with this pup! You guys are going to be sick of the pictures by the time season stops. Ron

Nice looking pup and congrats on the birds! You guys are really making be resent not hetting a proper dog instead of adopting a mutt from the pound!
wink.gif
Guess I'll have to get both!
biggrin.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back