Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Open invitation to hunt Maui, Hawaii

It is next to the Kula Forest Reserve. We don't have a lot of axis. There are some nice bucks (over 30") taken out every year but not like the quantities on the ranches. Small groups usually about a half dozen animals.

Note that I am not an outfitter, there are not charges or fees. I am just offering to take people hunting.

What a cool offer. My wife and I watched a video last week of a guy hunting goats, pigs, and deer on one of the islands. Due to work schedules we are looking for options to hunt in the last two weeks of December and first week of January.

You say the weather is lousy, does that mean fewer people on the island? Being from South Dakota, your worst day will be a break in January.

I should correct myself and say the weather is unpredictable in the winter. We do have a fair amount of tourist in the winter months but by the end of December, very few hunters. Hunting for big game would be in the middle of the week. Usually the only thing that stops me from hunting is the wind. When it starts blowing 30+ mph the "fog/clouds" come in. Makes the hunting tougher.

I should correct myself and say the weather is unpredictable in the winter. We do have a fair amount of tourist in the winter months but by the end of December, very few hunters. Hunting for big game would be in the middle of the week. Usually the only thing that stops me from hunting is the wind. When it starts blowing 30+ mph the "fog/clouds" come in. Makes the hunting tougher.

I see. Archery hunting for goats on New Year's Day sounds like a great way to ring in the new year.

I would love to get some info from you. My wife and I got married on Maluaka beach 3 years ago. My buddy hunted Axis for a few days before the wedding. I would love to go back sooner than later and hunt myself.
Mucho Mahalos !
Mike

Wow what an offer! I’ll be in Maui for a week arriving 7/24. If you are up for a tag along for a day or two that week let me know.

Hey Rodney,

I have been dreaming about a Hawaii hunting trip for a while. Its definitely on the bucket list. My wife's parents have a condo on the big Island (Kona) but they keep it booked almost all year. I've only been once and didn't have the opportunity to hunt. Would hunting the big Island be realistic? or is it worth it to grab a flight to Maui or Lanai? Getting a Mouflon or Axis would be the dream, but black sheep/hybrids or spanish goats would be amazing. I love bowhunting, but I would definitely go with the rifle if it increases odds significantly. From my limited knowledge there are areas that are bowhunting only, are these areas less pressured? or if I want to get a Mouflon or Axis should i hang up the bow and use a rifle? Have the Axis reached full antler growth for Jan/Feb/March/April? When is the best time for Mouflon?
Do you go to the main island very often, and would you be interested in hunting it, given enough notice? Potentially thinking of a trip for this upcoming spring. Or maybe next year.
Sorry for the long winded message, so many questions about this because its totally different than hunting around here.
Thanks!

What an amazing offer!! I'll be talking to the wife about this tonight!! She has always wanted to go to Hawaii and I was meat so it's perfect!! You say the fishing is sub par, huh? That's a shame!!

Despite heavy eradication, the Big Island is still very good with lots of public land. Lana'i is the best hunting without a doubt. Axis on Maui would be extremely difficult unless you had had access to private land.

Glass eye is correct. I am not really familiar with the other islands. I generally just hunt Maui. Axis are usually in velvet in the spring. They are usually hard horned from June. The rut here seems to be July & August. Some deer are taken with archery but, because axis are a herd animal, it's really tough getting a shot.

I don't have much info on Mouflon. I have only hunted them a couple of times - that was in August.

Thanks Glasseye and Rodney! Sounds like its worth making the trip over to Lana'i for Mouflon. Very excited for the possibility of a trip this spring!

If you going in the spring to Lana'i for Mouflon you will have to hunt the Lana'i Company land. Not a big deal, just reserve your dates in advance by calling. For Mouflon hunt unit "A". For Axis, they are everywhere, doesn't matter where you hunt.

Attachments

• Lanai hunt map.jpg
    Lanai hunt map.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 295
Thanks for the open invite! I've wanted to hunt Hawaii for a while now and my wife wants to go there, so I told her one day we'll go and I'll hunt while she sits on the beach haha. It would be cool to hunt axis but I'm up for anything just for the experience.

Rodney
Amazing and very generous offer. I landed on Maui last night and am headed to Lanai tomorrow until Monday for state mouflon hunt. If not too short of a notice would love to get out and have a look with you.
Let me know if time allows

Dan

Awesome offer! My husband, 15 month old son, and I will be there Nov 13-16, after Kauai for 5 days. We would love to meet up with another hunter and if going hunting is possible, ice cream on the cake! I've been thinking we might try to get a babysitter to go fishing for a day on either island, but seems like fishing either Kauai or Maui might be a disappointment from what I've heard. I'll PM you.

This is an amazing offer. We are planning a trip to Maui for Christmas 2019. I will keep this in my back pocket in case I can convince my wife that I should go get us a Christmas pig. ;)

So great, very nice of you. I’m coming January 7th and will have one day of hunting with my
Bow somewhere. Can’t wait! Love it there on Maui and really looking forward to getting out... though I don’t know how good my chances are if success with not knowing any good areas, this time around I only having one day - 2 days to hunt... any help or tips would be a huge help!
Cheers,

Back