OnX vs paper map

Tyler1215

Hello. I've been e scouting Wyoming unit 32 on onX and I'm wondering if just using onX will be enough. I've never been to Wyoming and curious if other people use paper maps as well. If so is there a certain map I should buy? This will be my first time hunting in a different state and I've heard amazing things about onX but I'm just not impressed. Also, I know I can save maps for offline use but does anyone know how cell service is in 32? I'm hoping its close enough to casper where I'll have service throughout the unit

You should have both. Go ahead and use the off time to download Onx maps for offline but paper maps give you the overall picture of the area your in. Onx is good because it shows you where you are on the map, property lines and the waypoints are helpful too..

The 100K BLM quad maps are pretty handy to have for looking at the big picture, I think they're $5 each. I usually print some google earth images if I know where I'm going, the 3D feature can be nice. Paper is light, never runs out of batteries and is hard to break, ziplock or sleeves to keep dry.

A local BLM office may have the land status maps you need . We buy ours at the Geosurvey office on campus at UW. Sporting goods stores carry some as well.

Hello. I've been e scouting Wyoming unit 32 on onX and I'm wondering if just using onX will be enough. I've never been to Wyoming and curious if other people use paper maps as well. If so is there a certain map I should buy? This will be my first time hunting in a different state and I've heard amazing things about onX but I'm just not impressed. Also, I know I can save maps for offline use but does anyone know how cell service is in 32? I'm hoping its close enough to casper where I'll have service throughout the unit
Don’t ever count on having service in the Unit itself. But if you download the onX maps ahead of time, your GPS will pinpoint your location with or without service. That’s one of the reasons it‘s so useful. As for maps, many of us always take a hard copy and onX just to be safe.

I use/used the maps with the Game and Fish areas on them. That gives you an overview of the area, roads, trails, how to get around etc. Once that is viewed, then OnX shows more detail, property boundaries etc. During the hunt, OnX only as it shows you exactly where you are, with the boundaries etc. Paper maps stays in truck as it gives a birds eye view of a larger area.

Cell service was hit and miss for me in that area. Consider a Wilson cell phone booster. You never know when getting a call out could save a life.

I've not used a paper map in the field for a handful of years now. I may when I'm planning, but OnX has worked flawlessly for me in WY (and other states).

I use both. I buy a good one for each unit from my topo because I like to have them. It is also easier to put up on the side of the trailer for a couple guys to look at instead of everyone trying to huddle around a phone. And I am old and like maps

I always carry both. I dig OnX.

While I believe paper holds a value for the safety aspect, I greatly value opening a paper map at camp to plan my intent vs viewing my small screen. Outside camp while hunting, my phone is a great go-to and paper stored in my pack.
Typical map from the FS / BLM Office works just fine, in conjunction w/ onX to zoom in for more detail, imo.

This comes from my military days. I carry a protractor, compass, and map in my pack in a zip lock bag. Technology is fantastic when it works but if it fails then you have an option to fall back on to at least get back to camp.

I carry both cell and a Garmen GPS which has On-X on both. Those help you navigate in real time without having to do the old time calculations on the map. Plus it typically has more updated images for the satellite maps. My GPS gets me to where I want to be within 10 foot accuracy most of the time.

I'm having a hard time finding the page where I actually buy the blm maps I need. Do they sale them online or do I have to get them in person?

I'm having a hard time finding the page where I actually buy the blm maps I need. Do they sale them online or do I have to get them in person?
You can also get them at mytopo.com. I have never had issues with the public/private info being off from there. They use BLM, USFS and several other databases to build their maps.

You should always have paper maps as backup but understand you do not need cell service to use your GPS on your cell phone. I use a Garmen GPS and cell phone with On-x on both and then I have a baggy with a map, compass and protractor I keep in my pack. All else fails I can use the trisection and bisection method taught in the military to get around.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I still dont see where I purchase? I know which two I need. The link is just to the index map. How do I purchase the two I need? Thanks for helping

Call the BLM office in Cheyenne and tell them the two you need and they should be able to get you squared away.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to determine which maps you needed.

ClearCreek

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back