Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

OnX research tools now online

There was a thread within the last year or so with an alternative mapping app that everyone was jumping ship to, and I can't find that thread now. I thought @neffa3 started it.

Can anyone help me out? I'm sick of sending money to these hunting companies.

There was a thread within the last year or so with an alternative mapping app that everyone was jumping ship to, and I can't find that thread now. I thought @neffa3 started it.

Can anyone help me out? I'm sick of sending money to these hunting companies.
There's a new one out now that some guys are switching to...Spartan Forge. Since it's relatively new, they are still updating and adding features. It has leaf off imagery and I believe LIDAR now.

This is the thread I was thinking of-

Couldn't get it to load, so they must be using the same server as ID uses for allocating OTC tags.
Not sure what people are looking for.

Also, not sure why people go full old-man-yells-at-cloud about this stuff. Odds in any decent hunt are typically less than 3% because permits are controlled. I don't think there are undiscovered gems. You apply in 12 draws with draw odds at 3% and you can boost your odds to about 25%. I think these services just parse data. It doesn't create more hunters. If you want less competition, you may have to wait for people to be unsuccessful for a few years and move on to the next hobby.

Couldn't get it to load, so they must be using the same server as ID uses for allocating OTC tags.
Not sure what people are looking for.

Also, not sure why people go full old-man-yells-at-cloud about this stuff. Odds in any decent hunt are typically less than 3% because permits are controlled. I don't think there are undiscovered gems. You apply in 12 draws with draw odds at 3% and you can boost your odds to about 25%. I think these services just parse data. It doesn't create more hunters. If you want less competition, you may have to wait for people to be unsuccessful for a few years and move on to the next hobby.
Right off the cuff I didn't see any info on general tags, or what general tags you are able to get an archery stamp for. But I only spent 5 mins looking. I'll check it out later when I have more time. Maybe I'll watch their video on it.
That's it, thank you! It looks like they have android auto also, which has been killing me on ONX.

Does the land ownership seem to pull from the same source as ONX?
OnX uses government info for land ownership, amongst some other sources where there isn't easily accessible public data.

I think it would be good if an upcoming company pulled from the same data sources OnX is.

Back