OnX research tools now online

Anybody else heard of specific examples of staff poaching waypoints/details from paid members? Might not want to save anything valuable.
I purposely put random pins all the time along with real ones. The real ones get exported to Google earth with details added their. Nonetheless even on GE I don't put anything super earth shattering lot of code words lol. Call me paranoid but wouldn't put it past OnX or GH to take well known high profile members info and use it for themselves.

Edit: @Wyhunter Beat me too my edit, if they are following any of my waypoints they are going to be even more disappointed lmao. Now I would pay for some of @Greenhorn Waypoints 😉

Last edited:
Straight off of the ONX website-

• The personal content you submit to the Service (waypoints, tracks, etc.) belongs to you, and you may choose to share it with other users through the Service. onXmaps does not disclose individual account data with other users or third parties unless we’re legally compelled to do so.

The only thing protecting your waypoints is the overwhelming amount of data they get in.

Joe draws a low point CO mule deer permit. Joe kills 220” deer and feels compelled to write 3 magazine articles and be on 4 podcasts to talk about the adventure. As dumb as Joe is, he’s an OnX member and has a lot of waypoints from that hunt/kill including a campsite that included a spot he dug out to flatten a tent site in the side of a steep timbered ridge a long ways from any trail. Two years later Joe draws same deer permit and returns to same marked campsite only to find an employee of OnX and his tent, with the same permit. Could be a total coincidence.

Joe draws a low point CO mule deer permit. Joe kills 220” deer and feels compelled to write 3 magazine articles and be on 4 podcasts to talk about the adventure. As dumb as Joe is, he’s an OnX member and has a lot of waypoints from that hunt/kill including a campsite that included a spot he dug out to flatten a tent site in the side of a steep timbered ridge a long ways from any trail. Two years later Joe draws same deer permit and returns to same marked campsite only to find an employee of OnX and his tent, with the same permit. Could be a total coincidence.
It's no different than Gaia GPS, or gohunt, or Google maps. A Gaia employee could be looking at your waypoints just as easily as the other employees could...

I guess out of all the things happening with cybersecurity, this really doesn't worry me. They'd be sifting through a lot of bullshit to find the waypoints that mean something to me.
Who ya blaming your confict-addiction on this time. Buzz is nowhere to be found on this thread.
GH was looking for some attention, so I acknowledge him. I was scared to see what his third response would be. First a puke emoji, then a video of someone projectile vomiting... wasn't keen on seeing what his third take would've been! You should probably thank me for saying something when I did.

Wild if true.

Big shocker - nobody’s interested in where you went camping with your gun.
Ditto. In addition, nobody cares about your paranoia. There's no evidence that someone at OnX could even "steal" your waypoints.

You better stick with a handheld gps and leave your phone at home. Countless apps have permission to your location, better watch out!

boo.gif

Ditto. In addition, nobody cares about your paranoia. There's no evidence that someone at OnX could even "steal" your waypoints.

You better stick with a handheld gps and leave your phone at home. Countless apps have permission to your location, better watch out!

You can't be serious comparing the information ONX gets compared to other apps.

Do what you want, but I'm not going to apologize for being suspicious of the building full of hunters who live in the same town as me and have access to all my waypoints.

Being stupid and wrong, all day long. Every day. And arguing about it. Impressive.

Do what you want, but I'm not going to apologize for being suspicious of the building full of hunters who live in the same town as me and have access to all my waypoints.
Especially those that include pics imbedded in their waypoints. You could get real creative on the photos you include.

If you think they're stealing your data, then go back to a handheld gps. Problem solved.

Do you think GoHunt maps, or Gaia GPS maps are any different? It's still a lot of hunters saving waypoints.

Being stupid and wrong, all day long. Every day. And arguing about it. Impressive.
Where's the proof that they're stealing your waypoints?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back