Caribou Gear Tarp

Ontario Fly in Moose???

mplane72

Who's done it and what was your experience?

Looks like a couple friends and I may have an opportunity for an archery hunt this fall. They have been there multiple times fishing and always done well and had a good time. Details are sketchy and I'm not holding my breathe but it could become a make up your mind and pay up deal real quick. Details I have right now are that the lodge/cabins are on a very large lake chain and they are just starting to run hunts again. From the sounds of things we would not be hunting with a guide, which I prefer.

Any special equipment suggested? Hip boots? Waders? Knee high boots good enough?

Any help, thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Cool opportunity. What part of Ontario? I have always worn pant style waders moose hunting. Chest waders are usually unnecessary, hip boots you need to have rain pants as well or when you sit your rear gets wet. I wished I would have had knee highs on my last moose hunt, but the river was so flooded you needed a boat to get everywhere and there was no real advantage to waders.

Cool opportunity. What part of Ontario? I have always worn pant style waders moose hunting. Chest waders are usually unnecessary, hip boots you need to have rain pants as well or when you sit your rear gets wet. I wished I would have had knee highs on my last moose hunt, but the river was so flooded you needed a boat to get everywhere and there was no real advantage to waders.
Thanks for replying. Looks to be a ways North of Lac Seul. Wading pants make a lot of sense.

Can you tell me a bit about how a normal day of hunting is? I mean are you just out at it all day calling waiting and then moving? Or more a morning evening thing? There seems to be some thought that mixing some fishing into this trip is going to happen. That's fine but hunting is going to be my priority.

Ive never hunted moose in Ontario, but I have hunted them several times in Alaska. During the rut moose do not have a schedule. They will come from many miles around to a call and sometimes it takes 2 or more days and will show up day, night, morning or afternoon. I would pick an area that you can glass over several swamps, bays, and other moosey habitat. call at that location for at least two days before trying a new location.
If your friends insist on fishing I would try to find fishing locations that are at the mouth of big bays and periodically call and glass the shoreline while fishing.

Who's done it and what was your experience?

Looks like a couple friends and I may have an opportunity for an archery hunt this fall. They have been there multiple times fishing and always done well and had a good time. Details are sketchy and I'm not holding my breathe but it could become a make up your mind and pay up deal real quick. Details I have right now are that the lodge/cabins are on a very large lake chain and they are just starting to run hunts again. From the sounds of things we would not be hunting with a guide, which I prefer.

Any special equipment suggested? Hip boots? Waders? Knee high boots good enough?

Any help, thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Are you going to bring a sidearm?

I have been there 6 times on Fly-in DIY Archery moose hunts.

Few things you need:
2 Pairs of Knee high Rubber Boots
1 Pair of packable chest waders ( I never used these one time but I always had them with me)
100 feet of heavy duty rope.
Several knives that are easily sharpened.
Take fishing gear and fish mid-day when the moose are bedded down.

Hunt the last week of September and the first week of October if you can. You'll be guaranteed to hit the rut.

And dont be ridiculous, you dont need a pistol. Its Ontario...not Alaska.

Last edited:
And dont be ridiculous, you dont need a pistol. Its Ontario...not Alaska.

It was a simple question, there billy BA. If it were me, I would want the additional protection while flinging an arrow at an animal that can weigh over 1000 pounds. Then, try to recover said animal, in thick nasty brush. All of this being in country he isn't used to.

I live in Northern Ontario, and friends with a family that owns a fly in camp. Advice above is solid - expect to be in areas with a lot of muskeg and wet miss, so high boots are great. Rubbers work well. I prefer some high pacboots, wore out a few pairs of LL beans over the years. Weather can be anything from hot and buggy to snow at that time of year, so be prepared. A pair of light packable stocking foot waders and a old pair of 3 sizes too big runners from a taller friend is what I pack. Much lighter than boot foot waders, which matters if you're flying in.

Getting a moose out is the tough part. Along with some solid rope, some brush cutters, small saw, and a hatchet will all come in handy. Moose tend to die in the most difficult to extract from places, and you'll want to get him up on dry land as quick as you can.

No sidearms in Canada, but you can pick up bearspray - you can't bring it inside a plane though so best to check with the guide. It's not really necessary though.

Most shots are close range as the alders are dense, so variable low power scope is best. Archery can be excellent too, probably the most exciting hunt in Ontario. In some of the remote units the rifle season overlaps with the rut, where in the more accessible areas it's archery only until mid October.

People go crazy with 80lb draw etc because moose are big, but much better to be comfortable with your bow and able to shoot accurately and comfortably. I would say fixed blade broadheads though, too many issues in the thick alders with mechanicals.

If you want to DM me where you're flying out of and heading I may have more specific info, but really you can't go wrong and will have a good time either way.

What's the sidearm needed for? Bears, moose, or people?

I think the only places I’m not gonna mock you for carrying a sidearm are kodiak and Compton... although in either place I’m not sure how much good it’s going to do you.

I think the only places I’m not gonna mock you for carrying a sidearm are kodiak and Compton... although in either place I’m not sure how much good it’s going to do you.
North Chicago?

No. Don't think I can but wouldn't anyway. Only thing up there to eat me is black bear or wolves. Not worried about those. I would be more scared of a moose.
That's what I was thinking. Just didn't want you to have an incident. I was charged by a young bull about five years ago and I nearly needed new underwear. Sounds like you have it figured out! I hope you fill the freezer!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back