Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

One less MT Wolf

Way too cool and as has been said, would be interested in knowing what type of set did that critter in.

Great looking wolf! I've gotta give props to the guys that put forth the effort to trap them, it sounds like a ton of work.

I'm usually more a creeper on this site and not much of a poster. But since CG threw that picture up I guess I can change my ways. I attempted to upload a couple more pictures but was unable to. For a little background this wolf was trapped in pretty low country. Not a place they are generally accept for when the snow is deeper. These wolves travel through this area sporadically about every two weeks. There seems to be one pack of 3-5 and then the occasional loners that come through. I have been attempting to trap them for the past two years. As anyone who has any experience using steel traps this late into winter knows that it isn't very easy keeping the traps in operating condition. I found this to be readily apparent last year after misses and dealing with frozen traps. I changed up the plan a bit this year. This set was in the thickest jack pot of doug fir re-gen I could find. I used deer for bait. The Re-gen does three things for me. First it hides the bait well from above so the birds stay out of it, second it helps to keep the bulk of the snow off of the traps, and third it helps to channel the wolves to obvious entry and exit points, much like a snare pen. I still set back away from the bait to be legal with MT law (may be okay anyway because the bait is not visible from above) but I want to make sure I don't catch any birds. I also throw some branches over the bait and some logs so it isn't too easy to carry off. Once I identify where the wolves will probably enter from I set my traps. I did do some blocking and guiding to help ensure that they would be entering from these points. I generally double set each of these avenues. I used buckwheat hulls to bed with and waxed dirt over the top with natural blending and then a good misting of antifreeze. Now once this was all done it was just a matter of waiting. This set was in place just after the opener and didn't get a hard look till just before valentines day.

Thanks for sharing that bit of information. Again congrats to you on a great accomplishment and would love to see more pictures if you get it figured out.

Color me VERY jealous.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back