Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Old scope repair?

6speed

I have a late 40s early 50s Weaver scope that has a rainbow that developed between the 2 lenses at the end. I can take them out of the scope but they are sealed togather inside the threaded brass ring. I contacted Weaver and was told that the new company doesn't handle old scopes? The scope is mounted to my grandfathers 721 with 1 piece Bueler rings and I am trying to restore it. Any ideas?

Had the same problem with an old weaver scope. Shopped around and found a few places that would fix the old scopes for a price, but since there was no sentimental value involved I decided not to pursue that, and held out till my brother-in-law felt sorry for me and gave me a Leupold he had no use for any more.

Let's hear about the 721. Had a .30-06 and traded it for a .300 H&H.

Last edited:
All this Remington talk reminded me that I needed to get this 721 project going. I purchased the cool old '06 from my grandfather when I was 14 for $75 (he said he would sell it to me for what he had into it). He purchased the gun in 1951 from a guy who got it new in 1949 but never shot it. I used the gun in high school and replaced the 51 Weaver 2.5 with a cheap Tasco 3x9 because I thought I needed more scope and the weaver was starting to fog up inside the lenses. Now that I have more guns in the safe and the old '06 doesn't get out much I have decided to put it back to 1951 usability.

The ironsiteinc place is a bit pricy and has a 16 to 18 month turn around. I'm not ready to put that into a gun that sits so I was looking around again today and came across a post about boiling the lenses and pressing them together. Both front and rear lenses were foggy with the back lens almost completely obstructed. I figured it would be hard to ruin a ruined scope so I gave it a try this afternoon. To my pleasant surprise the front lens is completely clear now and the rear lens is foggy but serviceable! It took about 10 minutes and a pot of boiling water. I'll put the scope back on as soon as I find the other screw for the Buhler mounts. I wish I had tried the lens boiling trick 20 years ago and it probably never would have gotten as bad as it did.

Last edited:
You can probably find the exact replacement on eBay for about $40. Doubt you can get it fixed for anything close to that.

I must be ebay inept as every time I have checked I can find just about any scope but one like mine with brass lense rings.

Probably not inept, just an ass-umption on my part. :D Assumed it was a K series that I'm familiar with from about that time. I've "inherited" quite a few of them, and usually sell them on eBay for about $40. Curious to see the scope. I think I know what one you're talking about. I've one sitting on an old M54 that I got from my great grandfather. Can't see through it... might take it off and hunt with open sights... I know he did for the first 30 years he had it.

The K6 Dual X was the cat's azz in it's day. I could not believe I spent 90 bucks on a scope.

It is a K series but the lenses rings are brass. I'll try to get a pic up this weekend. It looks like the other K series scopes on eBay but all the ones I have seen have blued steel lens rings. I have thought about trying to swap the lenses out of the rings but that may be above my abilities. I don't want blued rings because this whole deal it's about returning the gun to how it looked when I got it and the brass trimmed scope is a big part of that.

I saw a couple old listing on gun auction sites for the exact scope. Didn't look to hard on ebay but I'll bet you ban find one if you keep after it

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back