Caribou Gear

Old equipment

220yotekiller

What is the oldest piece of equipment that you still hunt with? Rifles don't count. Mine is a ELK. INC cow talk call. My Dad gave it to me 18 years ago for chipping ice. I learned how to use it by listening to the casett tape and driving my Mom crazy. I was 11.

Attachments

• KIMG0892.JPG
    KIMG0892.JPG
    787.2 KB · Views: 10
What is the oldest piece of equipment that you still hunt with? Rifles don't count. Mine is a ELK. INC cow talk call. My Dad gave it to me 18 years ago for chipping ice. I learned how to use it by listening to the casett tape and driving my Mom crazy. I was 11.
I found one of those knocking around a box a while ago. I got it when I was a kid as well, probably about the same age.

I haveone somewhere😳

I saw a brand new one of these at the store the other day on sale. I was wondering how the hell it sounded.

I still use my dad's P.S. Olt duck call. He delivered papers as a kid in the Depression to pay for it. I also have the lanyard he braided from buckstich lacing but it's too fragile and long since retired. (Downloaded image, not Dad's duck call).

Edit: For those who may be interested, one of the former employees bought the company name and is making these calls again. They are great. Not real flashy looking but they do call in ducks. Great support too. Dad sent his call back to the factory for a new reed back in the 60s. It fell out within weeks and Dad put it back in the factory mailer box. He dropped a crappy Lohman call in my stocking that Christmas. When he died in '99 I found the Olt call and box in his drawer and brought it home. About fifteen years ago I sent for a new reed and cork and have used it since then.
Vintage-Duck-Call-Ps-Olt-D2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 70s Smith and Wesson 12 gauge. Can't recall the model but it's dropped plenty of whitetail over the years. Never passed 75 yards though. Lol.

My go-to raingear on the boat is from 1989 (commercial fishing raingear).
Filson tin cloth chaps from the 1980s.
My go-to shotgun is a 1974 Browning Citori I bought used in 1983 at a pawn shop for $500.
That red backpack is an old Dana Designs Arcflex (30 years old) and still my go to backpack.

I am an AOH (started at 33-34) and I am still using a Schrade gut hook knife with a green rubber handle that I use. I used it on my USAFA buck last December.

My Uncle Henry folding knife and the Woolrich wool hunting coat my uncle Paul gave me when I was 13.
I grew into them both and wore the coat a few times this winter and I used that knife again this year to skin & cut up another elk.
I wore my dads wool sweater he gave me for hunting 40 years ago, this year again. It was old then but still like new. 1940's Eddie Bauer. Great core warmth.

I still use my dad's P.S. Olt duck call. He delivered papers as a kid in the Depression to pay for it. I also have the lanyard he braided from buckstich lacing but it's too fragile and long since retired. (Downloaded image, not Dad's duck call).

Edit: For those who may be interested, one of the former employees bought the company name and is making these calls again. They are great. Not real flashy looking but they do call in ducks. Great support too. Dad sent his call back to the factory for a new reed back in the 60s. It fell out within weeks and Dad put it back in the factory mailer box. He dropped a crappy Lohman call in my stocking that Christmas. When he died in '99 I found the Olt call and box in his drawer and brought it home. About fifteen years ago I sent for a new reed and cork and have used it since then.
View attachment 215190
Very cool!

Early season back in ND was filled with “regular” ducks…..nearly unidentifiable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back