Old Age hobbies

i turn 50 in 4 and a half months, hiking and scouting the woods where i live is my hobby , i just love to see and experience some new secret in the coastal mountains in my area. its an inexpensive thing to do that just costs time, effort and gas money to get there and back, also BREATHING is another hobby i greatly enjoy now that i'm on the edge of 50. something i took for granted a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

My grandparents neighbor (like another grandmother to me) makes ceramics and teaches dance classes she's 86 or 87, and you'd think she was 15 years younger or more. Her level of energy is crazy. My grands passed away a number of years ago, but used to spend a lot of time in Vegas, and the desert southwest visiting friends, golfing, going to rodeos (my Grampa was 4 time Montana bulldogging champ), spending time with their grandkids, baking, canning, fishing, hunting right up to near the end. I'll never forget the last elk hunt I went on with my other grampa, he at the age of 78 his 80yo cousin, and a number of other family members. I'll never forget watching those two horseman ride up a mountain bird-dogging a herd of elk. They were in their element.

My girlfriend's 83 year old mother just retired for the second time from being a physical therapist. She still is an avid gardener, and is the "property manager" for my girlfriends home she rents out.

My Granny moved to a Senior living facility when she sold her duplex in Santa Barbara. She volunteered incessantly, and made "lap desks" that she sold and gave as gifts.

My Nana continued to be a Housewife to my Grandfather who retired in his 60's after he badly damaged his hands in a tire accident when a split rim failed under pressure. Despite greatly reduced range of motion, my grandfather continued to do mechanical tasks like restoring old tractors and engines into his late 80's.

jul07 003.jpg

My dad hunted with me till he was 79 and his wife convinced him he was too old. Every year we would have to boost him on the horse at the beginning of the season. By the end of the season he could get on by himself. Once he quit he just sat in a chair and slept until he died at the age of 89.

When I was in high school I met a gent in my fathers office who was 92 and still ran three miles a day.
My wife's foster father had horses he feed twice a day until he gave them to me. He was 85. The horses gave him a reason to get out of bed, do some exercise and live his life. It gets harder but life needs to be lived not watched.

The issue is lack of movement not amount of exercise. Whatever you choose there needs to be stretching / yoga to maintain movement and balance. There needs to be some physical exertion to maintain the strength to enjoy life. There needs to be mental exercise to challenge your brain to stay sharp. Reading, conversation or even crossword puzzles like my wife does in the tub of all places.

My great aunt died of a heart attack at 97 playing bridge with a winning hand. Push the limits, live life and don't get comfortable.

Just my 2 bits; I'm about 10 years behind you.

'Just spoke with my 101 yr old Mom, who is sheltered-in at her apartment in Brookdale Senior Living in Great Falls. She was marvelling at the sunshine and spoke of getting a picnic basket and just getting out and going somewhere ... anywhere! With her still mending recently fractured hip, I cautioned her and emphasized using her walker now. When she was about 100 I brought her the walker ... only to find it covered with drying garments at next visit. She was using a cane and said, "Get that walker outa here!" (I explained that I bought it and may need it soon myself.)
Mom is the daughter of homesteaders from north central Montana, never had a drivers license and walked everywhere her entire life. She subscribes to diamond hitch's philosophy and has always advised me, "Move it ... or lose it!"
At 26 years her junior, I still run a few road races each year, including the grueling John Colter Race ... however, it would be difficult to characterize my movement as "racing". :D

While it is not a physical activity, have you thought about writing a book? ..........
@Europe
I'm still kind of new on here, but your input which I've read implies a life of adventure and stories. You could write them out or voice record them for someone to transcribe. I imagine all the HT members would love to see/hear it and future generations of your family would love it.
I have been trying to do this with my 86 Y.O. dad get the tales of his cow punching years down on some kind of medium. Some of them are a little spicy, so maybe he doesn't want the world to read them. ;) I grew up with those stories, but I'm afraid my own sons do not know them as they should. I know for sure my grandchild will never hear them from her great-granddad.

Regards your daughter not liking some of the potential content, better you put it out there in your own words.

April. If you go the painting route, I would absolutely love to have one of your paintings to put with my antelope trophies and deer mounts in my new place. I couldn't think of something better than to have than a momento from a woman who's forgotten more about hunting than I will ever know and that I respect so much.

I also agree with what someone had suggested to do a spoken history recorded to possibly be written for a memoir.

A few other thoughts....maybe do some work with boyscouts or girlscouts. You have amazing knowledge and stories that could keep kids occupied for hours at a time. Also, have you thought about getting involved with a wounded warrior program? Once again, your stories and perseverence over your life would be eye opening to a lot of guys. I would love to sit in for a few of your stories with some fellow vets.

Last edited:
I also agree with what someone had suggested to do a spoken history recorded to possibly be written for a memoir.

A few other thoughts....maybe do some work with boyscouts or girlscouts. You have amazing knowledge and stories that could keep kids occupied for hours at a time. Also, have you thought about getting involved with a wounded warrior program? Once again, your stories and perseverence over your life would be eye opening to a lot of guys. I would love to sit in for a few of your stories with some fellow vets.

I agree. One of the most popular speakers we ever had at an industry convention was Bob St. Clair. (local NFL football player who played for the 49ers). Dad put him on stage withthe instructions of "we just wanna hear some of the old "war stories" from when you played" Like a campfire chat. Before long he was doing fundraising benefits doing just that.

In my area, some folks sew blankets for child advocacy groups or hospitals for children in need. Just a little something extra for kids dealing with an injury or the turmoil from a broken home.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back