Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Ol what's his name!

the nikster

A bunch of years ago there was a pro fisherman who squealed and yelled and made a scene every time he caught a fish. Soon others on the circuit were imitating the abrasiveness. Happily, the cacophony has subsided for the most part. (i watched tv fishing-dont judge me.)

Lately it seems the newest, most annoying habit is to name every deer you see on a game camera. It is not a stretch to say 'I HATE THAT!' Almost every animal I ever took I was seeing for the first time. That's how I roll. These shows make it seem more like a supermarket shopping experience where you make a list of the items you want then run on down to Piggly Wiggly and get it.

How much longer will this last?

How old are you? Current life expectancy in the USA is 77yo.

Meaning, there is always going to be 'something'.

If your referring to the whitetail hunters then I would have to say that I don't see anything wrong with it. When I lived in Iowa, we used to name different bucks that we saw on different farms. Hunting out west is way different IMO. there was bucks in Iowa that we saw daily on the same farms. It was just easier to name them than try to describe the 5 different 8 points that we considered shooters that all basically looked the same. I don't think anyone will argue that there is some stuff that goes on on some of the shows that doesn't bother most, but like FAIR CHASE said, there is always going to be something.

I never watch whitetail episodes. I DVR less than 10 North American hunting shows. I can watch 30 minutes in around 5 by skipping the blocks of commercials and any non-hunting scenes. I do not recall critters being names other than on a multi-day hunt where assigning nicknames is a way to distinguish between previously seen animals. A few shows manage some pre-season scouting but most episodes I watch are ones where the hunter arrives at the unit as season is starting and there is no guide. Hard to name something have not scene.

Maybe is a whitetail and game ranch phenomenon. Or the shows where Richie Rich scratches a big check to have a few guys camp out on big critters. I do not watch those shows.

Right on all accounts. There will probably always be something. I practically live in hotels. the tv is an escape. Almost exclusively whitetail shows, that's for sure. It does make sense to name them rather than confuse all the 8 pointers. As a child we were not allowed to name working dogs because once we did they became something different than just a ranching tool. (we loved them anyway). It seems to me that naming them humanizes them a bit.
Instead of posting I should have just turned off the tele.

Someday I'm going to have a hunting show and I'll name all the deer with really normal names. Instead of "Bruiser" or "The Heavy Ten," I'll just name them "Steve" or "Frank."

"I just killed Steve!"

Well before the current trend of naming deer, my hunting buddies and I would often give names to antelope and deer AFTER they were killed. We have pictures of "The Windmill Buck", "The Backdoor Buck", and "The Postage Stamp Buck", each of which have a story to go along with their names.

Watch enough "Outdoor" television and you may find yourself believing that in order to kill a decent whitetail you need 500 acres planted with special food plots, at least a dozen trail cameras, space-age scent eliminating clothing, and an adjustable shooting rest that screws into the tree you're hunting from. By doing this you've reduced the elements of hunting to farming for deer and won't ever have to worry about marksmanship or basic hunting techniques. Well at least the deer will all have cool names!!!

Probably Mike Ike.. I enjoy watching some of the fishing tournaments on tv , and I understand the emotion of finally catching the one that pushes you to the lead, but when he comes on, I change the channel.

Instead of "Bruiser" or "The Heavy Ten," I'll just name them "Steve" or "Frank."

"I just killed Steve!"

My goodness that is funny. I do name a lot of deer because if I'm discussing a buck over the period of a couple years, its much easier to say "Johnson" than "the big nine pointer at Orville's I saw that one day". Plus, when I take new hunters out, its easier for them to know that 4 yr old "Big Cal" is a shooter, but 3 yr old "Little Cal" isn't, even if they aren't proficient at aging deer yet.

Deer names so far: Bo, Buck 52, Hydro, El Tardo, The Ball Sack Buck, Johnson, The Hulk, High Life, Cray-Cray, Willie, Clyde, Wilbur, Sandy, H&H, Dagger, Evander, Big Cal, Little Cal, 10 Meter, Eleven11, Tall Boy, Bully 8, Mitch, The Pope, Zippo, The Mule, SBS, Far Apart Al, Lay Down Sal, Playboy, Two Toned, DB1, DB2, DB3, Early Riser, The Shoupe Buck, The Quarry Buck, TSB, Heavyw8, Crossbow, The Three Legged Buck, Sweeps

Hurricanes should be named after former presidents. Bush totaled Florida over the weekend. Clinton is expected to sweep across the Deep South wreaking havoc and destruction. Harrison petered out when he ran into cooler air ( you might have to think about that one for a minute). It was Mike Ike specifically I was thinking of, just can't spell his last name. I just killed Steve, that's funny. You guys see more deer than me, so name them, I have a bunch of little yellow tomatoes, moosie, BF, Jose Cuervo and monte.

Back