Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ok, so now I need a back-up plan because I'm a dummy.

NR_Hunter

So I was unsuccessful for the Wyoming mule deer draw. 1.5 points between me and my buddy I applied with. He told me when we applied as a group that he had 2 points, but he actually only had one. According to GoHunt, the 2020 odds for Region R would have given us a 95% chance at drawing. However, in my mind I thought we were going to have 2 points, so our odds would have been even better. I did not apply for any other tags or make much in the way of other plans thinking this would be fairly close to a slam dunk.

What should I do now? Is there anywhere I can get leftover doe tags somewhere? Should I go fishing somewhere instead? Man... Total ouchie. Wallowing in self-pity at the moment. Maybe I'll bow hunt Nebraska again because I have access to good private land.

Last edited:
Last year we struck out so ended up doing a south Dakota fishing trip. Struck out again this year so not sure what plan B is yet.

I am looking at hiring meat packers? Interested...lol. good luck with what you do decide, i would definatly be applying for CO.

Fishing & grouse hunting.
My buddy with a bird dog is stuck in Qatar until early 2022 so probably won't be doing a ton of grouse hunting this fall. Hoping to have a bird dog of my own within the next year or so.

Even two points might not have done it. I drew region R as third choice in the special last year but didn’t get it as my second choice special this year.

So I was unsuccessful for the Wyoming mule deer draw. 1.5 points between me and my buddy I applied with. He told me when we applied as a group that he had 2 points, but he actually only had one. According to GoHunt, the 2020 odds for Region R would have given us a 95% chance at drawing. However, in my mind I thought we were going to have 2 points, so our odds would have been even better. I did not apply for any other tags or make much in the way of other plans thinking this would be fairly close to a slam dunk.

What should I do now? Is there anywhere I can get leftover doe tags somewhere? Should I go fishing somewhere instead? Man... Total ouchie. Wallowing in self-pity at the moment. Maybe I'll bow hunt Nebraska again because I have access to good private land.
I am in the same boat as you are 😩

You're not alone. I passed on MT draw thinking WY would happen, it didn't. I also struck out at home and the OTC deer tag I usually get is in a fire ravaged area that I will likely not hunt this year (yes I know fires are generally good for hunting but scouting so far shows few, sometimes zero deer). I'm thinking a fishing trip or birds may be the answer. A cow tag would be nice but I can't justify a long trip for a doe. This is a day of self reflection and momentary self pity for my poor planning.

There is a second draw in Colorado for the leftovers I think applications are due at the end of the month. Also, ID has returned tags that go on sale once a month until the seasons start or just before. Another option would be to go east and hunt whitetails. Wyoming will have cow elk tags available and Colorado is the ultimate fall back with OTC elk tags.

All you guys need to stop pouting, get your crap together pic a number and go hunt that unit in CO. If you really want to hunt do it: however you can leftover, otc, cow, tag along with buddy whatever! Even if you pic a bad unit you spend time on mountain and learn something. Take a fishing pole, shotgun p-dog ammo and make it a good trip.

I'm just the opposite. If I get the elk tag I applied for in the 2nd draw I have a muley buck tag I won't use. I wasted two points getting it too. Two points is most i've had in my life for any species. I don't save points. I find a way to hunt instead. I guess wasting them fits me.

I can turn in the tag and get my points back. I might do that so the tag can be used by someone else.

Back