Oil

DHaffner

Are fuel prices affecting your apps for this year? $3.50 is my threshold where I start cutting back on my hunting/fishing trips. I usually start by cutting fishing trips, but if we are a $4 per gallon this fall I will definately spend less windshield time looking for waterfowl! It hasn't changed my apps yet, but I'm wondering what your threshold is?

Fuel prices affect my decision making, but not for hunting or fishing trips. I would even consider a cut back on beer if things got that desperate. You can't make up missed hunting trips, they are missd forever!

Its gunna suck, but I'll just bite the bullet. I budget for it and work more overtime to cover it, and I take all my vacation in one big block so and plan my hunts so I can go from one to the other which actually works out pretty good. So if I get my way, I'll draw 3 mulie tags this year, take vacation from middle August till middle September, hunt 3 Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming, head home put on 4,000-5,000 miles. Then concentrate on filling my archery and gun whitetail tags back home. Only thing it changes is I may end up taking the car from my house to the family farm instead of my truck every weekend. Heres to hoping they come down though. I think I spent around $1,000 in fuel last year just on my hunts in Wyoming and New Mexico.

Going up it seems like every day here...$3.73 for Regular and that's a pretty cheap spot!

It won't affect or reduce any trips here. Last year I put 30k miles on my truck: 13 for work, 17 for play. It's just something that I have to budget for. It will suck, and there will be some compromises (more tent camps, less motels and restaraunts) but I'm sure I'm like everyone else on here...you just do whatever you've gotta do to make it happen. I would fully expect to be paying near $4 by fall, so I'm already planning that in.

Fuel prices affect my decision making, but not for hunting or fishing trips. I would even consider a cut back on beer if things got that desperate. You can't make up missed hunting trips, they are missd forever!

You runnin' for President? You got my vote.

Between diesel prices and upping the rate for combination tags this year I have marked MT off my list. Plus is sounds like the estern half of the state is mostly dead due to the crazy weather and snow this winter.

I even have a brother to stay with in Bozeman and he works for the forrest service but in the almost 10 years he has lived there he has only killed 2 antelope and 1 ws a doe. Hunting with him is like going in blind even though he spends hundreds of hours in the woods.

Dana, I figured you had to drop a hunt to pay for the taxidermy bill from your fishihg trip. That shark was HUGE! I hope you are right to only be paying $4 by fall. I'm budgeting $4.50 for diesel. I figure another middle eastern country will be at war with itself by then jacking the prices up even more.

I've got a caribou trip in Quebec in Nov and that one is going to be expensive on diesel. At least after Michigan the fuel will be split 3 ways,

Last edited:
Still making plans to go on my out of state hunts this year.I might have to cut back on hunting around home to do it but thats ok because there isnt much game around here anymore anyway.I will spend more time with my boy this fall and probably only hunt the first weekend of bow season,6 days during the rut and the rifle opener the rest of the time will be spent out west.

Lol, yeah, wyoming556, the taxidermy bill for that one is gonna be a dozy...Dipping into the well to cover it for sure, but still wont let it get in the way of future good times! That's why we save and invest, right?, so when it all comes together and get that special critter worthy of the wall that we can put it there!

A wise man once said- Hunt when you can - You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money!"

What do you think about this read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:W:OIL - you better sit down. ..

Here's an interesting read, important and verifiable information :

About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and
one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to
ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil
does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more
than all the Middle East put together." Please read below.

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only
scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a
revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in
this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and
extreme eastern Montana ...... check THIS out:

http://bakkenshale.net/bakkenshalemap.html

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska's Prudhoe
Bay, and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign
oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion
barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel,
we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5..3 trillion.

"When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see
their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana
Legislature's financial analyst.

"This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found
in the past 56 years," reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a
formation known as the Williston Basin, but is more commonly referred to as the
'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and
into Canada.. For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead
end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells
decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up
the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access of up to 500
billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels
will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years
straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one
should - because it's from 2006!

U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World

Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the
largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION
barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In
three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this
motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders,
than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

- 18-times as much oil as Iraq

- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait

- 22-times as much oil as Iran

- 500-times as much oil as Yemen

- and it's all right here in the Western United States .

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the
environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America
become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of
people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in
this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION
barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in
the world today, reports The Denver Post.

Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think
again!
It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just
might be funding the environmentalists?

Got your attention yet? Now, while you're thinking about it, do this:

Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you
should stifle yourself the next time you complain about gas prices - by
doing NOTHING, you forfeit your right to complain.

--------

Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you
sent this to every one in your address book.

By the way...this is all true. Check it out at the link below!!!

GOOGLE it, or follow this link. It will blow your mind.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911
:W:

Fuel prices won't affect my trips or my apps to be honest. I usually pick up a toy or two here and there throughout the year, whether it be a new gun, snowmobile, four wheeler or something like that, some of those things will get cut back before I cut back on my hunting.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/bakken.asp

BTW - they're drilling the #(%& out of the Bakken right now. Not as much as the Marcellus Shale stuff in PA, but they're still booming.

Nothing slowed that boom down. In fact, O&G companies are sitting on thousands of drill permits and not drilling. Those are all approved and past the appeal process. To think that conservationists or enviros are stopping )&G in the US is ludicrous.

The Bakken is insane right now. I work in the oil industry of sorts and its amazing how much that part of ND has blown up in the past year, year and half.

Hopefully things settle out and prices return a little more to normal than we are expecting.

I dont have any big trips planned this year so the gas prices dont mean anything to me on that aspect. The funny part, is this is the first summer in a few years my wife can hopefully get out (medical reasons) and she sees the prices right now and after quite a few explititives she said we cant go get out. It was just the irony.

Right now we are at $3.75 or so, I do not want to see what its gonna be come tourist season. its gonna go through the roof.

We will still get out, maybe not as much as she would want to but the trips will be there.

Anybody here ever blow up a balloon? You stretch it out, blow a little air into it, then stretch it out some more before really going for the big blow, so to speak.

We are the balloons. The first stretching was before the big 2008 election. This is another one. They want to explore the space, see what the market will bear, and before it hits the breaking point things will ease down. But that's just part of the stretch, too. Once people become conditioned to pay $3, $4, $5 or more for a gallon, the price will never drop to a reasonable amount.

Couldn't agree more DevilDiverDown.As soon as people start to go nuts about the price it will fall.You really think Obama wants high gas prices going into this fall?No a chance!!New presidential candidates will be coming out this fall and he already has the worst economy on his back.I'd say gas will be right around what it is today or less
I'm just waiting for him to blame Bush for this somehow,lol

Yes, the us has alot of hydrocarbons in the ground, but onfortunately most of it is "unconventional"... With current technology we are only able to produce about 3% of the bakken formation, so the headlines are alittle overstated, but the bakken is a main reason west texas international is $10 lower per barrel than anywhere else in the world.

Our oil shale deposits in colorado will be producsed when oil stays in the $150-$200 range and they have some interesting insitu production methods that could lower that price...but we have a painful climb up to those numbers!

I think if you see diesel push $5 natural gas fleets will explode and reduce our diesel demand...

I agree we run out of time before money, however at $3.50 a gallon I definately start looking at opportunities that are closer to home!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back