Officials kill bull elk for approaching herd

Ithaca 37

Now we gotta kill wild elk because they get close to game farms? Close the farms!

"HAZELTON — A wild bull elk has been killed by state conservation officers after it repeatedly approached a domestic elk herd.
It is mating season for elk, and the bull kept returning to the Hazelton-area ranch, said Dave Parrish, regional supervisor for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. The bull was shot with a rifle Monday.

It was the first such incident in Idaho.

The ranch elk did not show signs of disease. But the prospect of wild game approaching fenced animals or otherwise mixing with them is a worry for wildlife managers.

Communicable game diseases could include chronic wasting disease, brucellosis and tuberculosis. Chronic wasting disease has not been detected in Idaho, but some wild big game in other states have contracted it from game farms.

“We just didn´t want to take any chances,” Parrish said. “It´s a big concern, especially with the number of elk ranches in the Magic Valley.”

Domestic elk, fallow deer and reindeer can be raised in Idaho and are regulated as a livestock industry by the state Department of Agriculture.

There are 89 game farms licensed in Idaho, including 15 in Jerome, Twin Falls, Elmore, Cassia and Minidoka counties."

Game farms dont hurt our wild herds...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

IT, is it time to get your meds adjusted again???? I think your level of insecurity maybe approaching that of BUZZ. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That's only because you're an idiot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Please.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

And ithaca whines about people being ignorant to him
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I think he owes ten an apology
biggrin.gif

CJ, are we going to start killing every wild elk that may come in contact with domestic herds? By saying that they "didn't want to take any chances", they are admitting that they may actually be taking chances by allowing game farms. You can't possibly keep wild elk away from the fences. Some ranches here have over 2000 acre enclosures in prime elk habitat. I guarantee there's interaction through the fence. It's not like these farms are all just fenced in 20 acre lots in the back yard(although many of them are). So, in your words, why take the chance?

Oak

Shoot all the domestic elk!!!!!!!!!

Ithaca
I guess if thats the tone you want in S.I. then it is fine with me, ya bunny humping moron
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-21-2003 14:50: Message edited by: michaelr ]</font>

IT, easy now, take slow deep breathes. You remember what the nice doctor said don't you? Just take nice easy breathes and double your meds.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

MIKE, this Parish guy must be some kind of freind of IT's, that's all.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Why not jsut MAke the ranchers Double fence the Rances ? that should solve all the Obvious problems. And over double the security ?

Really, You Anti ranchers need to drink less Caffine !!!

My guess is the elk ranchers would say they can't afford to double-fence, and if they were required to do so, the whining would be an excessive burden on society, and just wouldn't be worth it. Better to just ban all private ownership of big game animals. Life would be much simpler that way. Course then there would be less to argue about here, and that wouldn't be good, would it?

A horse is a Big game Animal.. A cow is a big game animal... A waterbuffalo is a big game animal..... A ......

Moosie, where do I get a tag for a cow or a horse? I actually wouldn't mind hunting some of those wild horses. You've got some of those in Idaho don't you? Or would the tames ones be better eating?

WH, you should check out the wild horse article in Field & Stream this month. I'd post a link, but they don't have it up for general readers yet. Get it at the news stand.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back