Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Officially student loan debt free

Too broad a range of folks for universal advice. But in the most simplistic, unless you have a clear line of sight to a high paying career I would definitely focus on quality in-state universities. No need to spend 2-3x to go out of state or private if you are just getting a psych major. As said by others - take all the free money you can get - pell grants, scholarships etc. Use 529 funds to build funds. If you are an under motivated or resource challenged student, find a good university system like U of MN that lets you take your first two years at state community college for super cheap but still get full university diploma after transfer for final 2 yrs. If you are pursuing top paying careers and have the credentials go to the best ranked school you can get into - it will pay off. Remember that reasonable amounts of debt put to building credentials in lucrative fields is usually a great investment. Do the math on repayment options - depending on your career choices there are some great deals to be had. Don't use student loan money to f*ck around. If you don't like school and like to work with your hands skip college and go trades -- maybe later go back and combine the trade with more advanced business or later in life jobs (the trades can be tough on 50 yr old bodies). But lots to consider, so one size does not fit all.
I dont see anything here I would disagree with. So how is trying to avoid federal student loans poor advice? Especially if there are better options out there.

Regardless, everything else I agree with. Going out of state to a school without scholarships or any free money seems like a very poor decision. I also very much agree with dont use student loan money to screw around.

Can't remember for sure but I think economics was an elective in HS seems like that should be a requirement. like @TOGIE said it should be taught or started at home but that's not always the case. Just about everything I've learned about money and finances (which doesn't amount to shit compared to some here) has been learned the hard way. I wish that wasn't so and it's something that will definitely change with my kids or at least to the best of my ability.
I took economics in HS. My classmates were mostly college bound students. Small class.

The problem with requiring financial literacy is that it only helps those students who want the knowledge. Government was mandatory in the state I graduated HS. I bet 50% of my class still doesn’t understand the American political structure or the Electoral College.

Sure, but how? You have a ton of financial opinions on this thread alone that disagree with each other. I guess I disagree with the idea that making the "best" financial decision means making the choice that gets you the most money because you also have to consider risk, both actual and perceived. I'm not sure that was the point you were making but I felt that it leaned that direction.

But getting back to that idea, how to we actually improve financial literacy? I know I should know more than I do, but it's almost harder to suss out a source than it is to learn what the source is supposed to be teaching you.
I am not suggesting there is a universal "best", and my "kids" post a bit later shows clearly the "most money" is not my definition of a good and worthy life. But there are choices that can make achieving our self defined "good life" easier and choices that can make it harder. My replies on this thread were largely in response to the premise that avoiding govt programs is universally good, or that avoiding debt is universally good, or in response to what considerations would I suggest if someone was trying to map out this complex problem set. No advice can be universal, and my definition of a good life is not universal. But it is fair to say, some rigorous thinking about the choices in front of us is beneficial and that a fairly large portion of society can benefit from some fairly simple guidance. (such as, complete high school and do not have a child before marriage dramatically improves your chances of not living in poverty)

Last edited:
So how is trying to avoid federal student loans poor advice? Especially if there are better options out there.
I read those sentiments to suggest that federal loans are somehow worse than non-federal loans which is simply not what the market and data show. I also read between the lines to suggest generically that any debt is bad -- which is not at all true in any economic discussion.

But maybe it was a misread on both accounts.

Kids aren't for everyone,
I agree - if folks just aren't up all that kids entail then so be it -- I was reacting to the premise that NPV or early retirement are particularly compelling reasons for that decision. But as you also pointed out - it may be self fulfilling for the good.

Last edited:
I took economics in HS. My classmates were mostly college bound students. Small class.

The problem with requiring financial literacy is that it only helps those students who want the knowledge. Government was mandatory in the state I graduated HS. I bet 50% of my class still doesn’t understand the American political structure or the Electoral College.

I took an elective personal finance class in high school that was very good. I would bet $$ some other kids that were sitting in that classroom would say today they wish they were able to take a class like that.

Last edited:
So how is trying to avoid federal student loans poor advice? Especially if there are better options out there.
Where are you finding private loans? I’m curious.

Banks stopped student loans when the government stopped providing guarantees on the loans with the government taking over the lending. (Obama administration).

Banks would lend on other assets but definitely wouldn’t give a college age person an unsecured loan.

Is it finance companies? If so, rates are going to be higher and potentially the risk from borrowing from that type of lender.

I took an elective personal finance class in high school that was very good. I would be $$ some other kids that were sitting in that classroom would say today they wish they were able to take a class like that.
I agree it should be offered/encouraged, just not mandatory.

Can't remember for sure but I think economics was an elective in HS seems like that should be a requirement. like @TOGIE said it should be taught or started at home but that's not always the case. Just about everything I've learned about money and finances (which doesn't amount to shit compared to some here) has been learned the hard way. I wish that wasn't so and it's something that will definitely change with my kids or at least to the best of my ability.
I am not aware of many classes that teach practical and effective understanding of money in a "household" sense. Econ 101 is about the premise of capitalism, not how to consider how big a mortgage one can carry. It's a real bummer.

I strongly think we have to find some place in 12 yrs of mandatory education to teach some basic life skills. There is a place for abstract learning, and learning "how to think", and learning how to get along with others, but I don't think it is too much to ask for 10% of the course work to directly and straightforwardly address the questions people will actually have navigating their lives - change a tire, buy a house, save for retirement, etc.

Last edited:
Where are you finding private loans? I’m curious.

Banks stopped student loans when the government stopped providing guarantees on the loans with the government taking over the lending. (Obama administration).

Banks would lend on other assets but definitely wouldn’t give a college age person an unsecured loan.

Is it finance companies? If so, rates are going to be higher and potentially the risk from borrowing from that type of lender.
I know of a number of banks that still provide student loans. HOWEVER, you are right in that banks are backing away from it. The problem mostly is with people that dont pay them back. Most that I'm seeing that still offer a student loan are graduates going to Grad school. But even that is scaled back.

i was lucky to have friends in college and that i lived with after college that very money savvy. i was lucky to learn some more nuanced levels of smart money management from them. the really savvy ones learned it from their parents.

i wish i learned more from my parents about money.

but, i also did learn plenty from them. if nothing else, the best thing parents can do is at least just be an example of proper financial management, even if they don't explicitly teach it. i watched my parents live frugally and avoid wasteful and excessive spending and donate money. you hate it as a child - watching your friends eat out more, have cooler things, go one more vacations, get more/better christmas presents, have computer games and high speed internet and cable. but that's definitely something you carry into adulthood, even if it's something you didn't really comprehend about your parents until you grow up little. but it definitely leaves an impression on your kids from my experience growing up in my household.

i feel like a kid that grew up with parents who mismanage their money or were spoiled, regardless of income, still won't learn much from a high school financial literacy class. though it certainly stands a good chance to help.
Excess frugality and lifestyle extravagance both leave a lot to be desired when it comes to financial knowledge. Life is balance. I grew up with poor kids, kids from frugal families, well off kids and a few rich kids, few of them knew anything about actual money management or life - money was either something they didn't have or did have through no account of their own.

I am not aware of many (any?) classes that teach practical and effective understanding of money in a "household" sense. Econ 101 is about the premise of capitalism, not how to consider how big a mortgage one can carry. It's a real bummer.

I strongly think we have to find some place in 12 yrs of mandatory education to teach some basic life skills. There is a place for abstract learning, and learning "how to think", and learning how to get along with others, but I don't think it is too much to ask for 10% of the course work to directly and straightforwardly address the questions people will actually have navigation their lives - change a tire, buy a house, save for retirement, etc.
Not that everyone agrees on the practicality of it or Dave’s way of handling money but I know this is offered in a lot of high schools across the country. It is in our local schools but as people have said above only the kids who want to take something from it are going to

https://www.ramseysolutions.com/edu...MIrPD_krnggwMV7hatBh23PA7ZEAAYASAAEgIgRvD_BwE

I strongly think we have to find some place in 12 yrs of mandatory education to teach some basic life skills. There is a place for abstract learning, and learning "how to think", and learning how to get along with others, but I don't think it is too much to ask for 10% of the course work to directly and straightforwardly address the questions people will actually have navigating their lives - change a tire, buy a house, save for retirement, etc.
I couldn't agree more.

am not aware of many classes that teach practical and effective understanding of money in a "household" sense. Econ 101 is about the premise of capitalism, not how to consider how big a mortgage one can carry. It's a real bummer
If I remember correctly (it's been a minute). That class we had fictional bills and a check book to balance etc and I think we only touched on that for like a week or two. All seemed pretty basic and to be honest at that point (freshman or sophomore in HS) I already had a checking account of my own prior to that class. But hey, choir or band was mandatory for 4 years of high-school and 3 years of Junior High.🙄

If I remember correctly (it's been a minute). That class we had fictional bills and a check book to balance etc and i think we only touched on that for like a week or two. All seemed pretty basic and to be honest at that point (freshman or sophomore in HS) I already had a checking account of my own prior to that class. But hey, choir or band was mandatory for 4 years of high-school and 3 years of Junior High.🙄
And boy was I good at $&@ing trombone…. Does wonders for me in the auto industry…

I am not aware of many classes that teach practical and effective understanding of money in a "household" sense. Econ 101 is about the premise of capitalism, not how to consider how big a mortgage one can carry. It's a real bummer.

I think we should really have some basic life skills in there somewhere. I can balance the hell of out a check book but basic carpentry, plumbing or electrical would’ve been really handy too…

250,000 financial advisors would probably be against that idea. But let's be honest and say people understand the decisions they are making. They just minimize the consequences in their minds. There are a lot of people that have figured out how to navigate the various federal and state bureaucracy and minimize the reportable income so they can get on Medicaid.

But let's be honest and say people understand the decisions they are making. They just minimize the consequences in their minds.
That triggers a whole other lawyer rant - folks who somehow after they hear about the risk and make the choice to proceed anyway somehow seem to think the risk went away and behave consistent with their clueless re-write of reality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back